never played it [ 7 ]  [5.22%]
allright [ 16 ]  [11.94%]
yuck! [ 2 ]  [1.49%]
Total Votes: 134
Guests cannot vote 
anthonyyoung
Posted: 22nd March 2004 21:05
Unregistered

i dont like the clasic final fantast that much, i like 6, and the ones up from that, but no lower. what do u think?
Post #33566
Posted: 22nd March 2004 22:22

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
The story kinda lacked hero development and a love story(what!?). Still, I found that this was the best battle system in any game. Althought its just the job system, it seems different then all the others. And in the thrid world, the music on the world map kicks ass.

--------------------
Yeah, I barely post.
Post #33583
Posted: 22nd March 2004 23:16

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I couldn't figure out which one was worse, "crap" or "yuck." I decided to vote crap, but if yuck is in fact the less favorable of the two, consider that my choice instead.

In a nutshell, Final Fantasy 5 is by and large my least favorite of the numbered Fantasies (that is, not counting Mystic Quest). It's bland, boring, trite, and predictable, with few redeeming characters and overcooked, tedious gameplay. I really can't stand the game, and I'd advise anyone against playing it.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #33588
Posted: 23rd March 2004 00:19

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
iv'e never played it, but ill download the rom after i beat chrono trigger.ive seen my bro play it on anthologies and i didnt seem to like it.

EDIT:Wait, CoN doesnt have the rom. Darn! Ill have to play it on anthologies then. I HATE LOADING! </sniff>

This post has been edited by l)arkShadow on 23rd March 2004 00:25
Post #33600
Posted: 23rd March 2004 00:38

Returner

Hmm... well, I'm in complete opposite of most people, then. FF5, despite the predictability of the story line, has one of the best game systems in the entire series. I personally do not like any of the Final Fantasies above 6 (FF7 was ok). The job system is remarkably well done in this game, allowing for countless possibilities if one is open to experimenting with different combinations of classes. Also, the game is another older Final Fantasy, making it one of the greats in the scope of video games in general. That and I love the Crystal plot-lines, more fantastic elements (as opposed to the stark technology FF6 introduces), and Time/Blue magic.

--------------------
"You dozed, and watched the night revealing
The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted"
-T.S. Eliot, "Preludes"
Post #33603
Posted: 23rd March 2004 04:18

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
FFV was a great game, good characters and good plot it had everything a FF game supposed to have.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #33627
Posted: 23rd March 2004 04:19

Chimera

Awards:
FF6's weakness is FF5's strength, and that is battles. I find the gameplay to be a lot of fun and the job system is excellent. The story isn't that great and the graphics are decidedly early generation SNES quality. However these are the only weaknesses that I can see. There is some nice scenery and atmosphere along with nice little extras like playing the piano in every town. I don't think the game was that bad, so I gave it the rating "allright".

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I think FF5's battle theme is better than FF4's.

This post has been edited by i90east on 23rd March 2004 18:06

--------------------
FFXI (Siren server)
Tauu the Windurstian Tarutaru!
White Mage & Paladin
Post #33630
Posted: 23rd March 2004 07:14

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Definitly was not in my favorites. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that good either. The battle system was cool, but it wasn't enough to make the game by itself. The story was extremely weak (especially when you compare it to IV and VI), the graphics were so-so, and I didn't find the music very good either.

Again, the game wasn't bad, so I voted all right.

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #33638
anthonyyoung
Posted: 23rd March 2004 11:07
Unregistered

i spent £20 on 4 and 5, and i was very dissapointed, crap graphics, crap story line, and the battle system was out of date.
Post #33643
Posted: 24th March 2004 06:27

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The first Final Fantasy I played (and loved) was the original, so I consider any amount of plot a bonus. On that front, I found FFV's plot desultory to the point of being distracting. Towards the end of the game, I had almost forgotten why I was on the quest to beat down the bad guy.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the job/class advancement system. In my opinion, to like this game, you have to be willing to overlook a weak plot, and you have to like the job system. If you don't (and there's nothing wrong with that), you should probably skip this one.

PB78
Post #33756
Posted: 24th March 2004 20:39

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (anthonyyoung @ 23rd March 2004 04:07)
i spent £20 on 4 and 5, and i was very dissapointed, crap graphics, crap story line, and the battle system was out of date.

Well, I'm not even going to get into the part about "crap story line" in reference to FFIV but.....

You keep mentioning "out of date" and "crap graphics". These games were originally made in 1991 and 1992 (I might be wrong on this) respectively. No duh the graphics aren't going to dazzle the eye and you might find other things old about it. I personally think that there's more to video games than dazzling graphics (it's called game play).

I'd say my post is a bit off topic with my reference to FFIV, but then again, you were originally off topic in the first place.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #33817
Posted: 25th March 2004 02:17

Dragoon

Awards:
I love all final fantasies with dignity and respect
and overall i thought it was a good game

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #33871
Posted: 25th March 2004 04:08

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I loved FF5. The job system was a smorgasbord of choice. I like the plot too, because it's so minimalist and unrewarding... in other words it's the opposite of an overembellished Hollywood-style story. I enjoyed the daylights out of the game, and I didn't even work the job system in a smart manner.

--------------------
Get me off this Disciplinary Committee so I can play any FF except for FF8!!!
Post #33887
Posted: 26th March 2004 18:23

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I felt like the job systemoffered too much choice and you werent really able to connet with the characters because they were always chnging.

--------------------
There is a time and a place for everything, and I am niether
Post #34121
Posted: 26th March 2004 18:43

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
I just got this one, so it's a little early for me to be making comments, but I do like this version of the job system. It really makes so that you are the one in charge of the character's growth. When I die, it is most definitely my fault, and believe it or not, I like it that way.

Having said that, I am at the fourth meteor and my Galuf was an L4 monk/L4 white mage. Now I've got to cross-class one of my big damage people for healing. Whee.

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #34127
Posted: 27th March 2004 19:37

Black Mage

Awards:
I chose great, I think it's a fantastic addition to the series. The characters are likeable and the Job System is great given the seemingly endless combinations and types of parties you can use. One thing I appreciated were the superbosses, they gave you a clear reason to keep playing even after you'd beaten the game.

--------------------
Sabin: ... to Mom... and to Figaro.

"A true classic never goes out of style!"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain..."
Post #34295
Posted: 28th March 2004 18:44

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
The game is great, even though it probably isn't as good as some of the best (such as FFVI and CT).

1. This is the 'modern' FF game that doesn't focus that much on story--at least until later in the game. It's main focus is the gameplay, and the gameplay of FFV is done VERY WELL. I've had experience with the character class systems of FFI, FFIIIj, and FFV, and this by far has the best. The features of combining abilities and mastering classes and passing on abilities were some of my favorite aspects of FFV's class system. It was so much fun to mess with FFV's class system!!
2. The story/plot isn't all that bad anyways. Sure, it doesn't compare to the great plots of FFVI and CT and the complex literature of FFVII, but it has its memorable moments (e.g. at the Elder Tree, Gilgamesh and Necrophobia, Butz's "sky rage" with the airship, discovering Faris, the ending <--Bravo on the ending, Square!), which are very well done--moments which can compare to some of the best moments in FFVI. The plot, overall, leaves you confused at first, but you understand it later in the game, and is moderately compelling. Although they don't explain the origins of stuff like using crystals to power ships and build castles, or calling summons "espers".
3. The music, while not as good as FFIV's, is still pretty good, mainly because it has some not-too-good tracks and some excellent and/or absolutely kick-arse tracks. Examples of not-too-good tracks are Hurry (the version when you're escaping from the castle), the battle theme, the second and third world overworld themes. Examples of excellent and/or absolutely kick-arse tracks are: Exdeath's theme, Exdeath's battle theme (SO NEARLY THE BEST BATTLE THEME EVER--ranks just under Dancing Mad 4!), Dear Friends (the music to Cara's letter at the end), Harvest (the music to the wolf town), the sad theme, Cursed Earths (the music the Ship Graveyard).

By the way, I played the FFV SNES ROM, and when I realized that the names were changed (Butz->Bartz, Lenna->Reina, Sarisa->Salsa (WTF??), Cara->Krile, Exdeath->X-Death, etc.) I was disappointed. The original names were so much cooler!

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #34409
Posted: 28th March 2004 18:48

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Well, i think its okay. It had a nice system, was the first real use of ATB with bars (IE the little timer bars that filled to tell you when it was your turn) and had kinda nice grpahics for the time.
Stroyline was a bit cheap, but then again, it was Gameplay intensive, and pretty good gameplay at that.

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #34411
Posted: 30th March 2004 14:45

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
The storyline was mediocre (those favorite moments keep it up that high), and graphics don't make a single bit of difference to me, unless they make me flinch.
FFV's main purpose was gameplay. The job system was very well thought out and very well done. It keeps a certain level of individuality, especially more than FFVI-VIII. In the higher games, individuality is forced, whereas in FFV, lack-of individuality is forced. The huge ability system was wonderful, my only gripe being that it's usage was so increadibly limited (especially when it came to types of magic), which could also be a kind of plus.
It's Grrrrrreat!

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #34738
Posted: 30th March 2004 20:31

Cactuar

Awards:
for me the game play was great

--------------------
THE LIZARDSSS SHALL EATSSS YOU
Post #34795
Posted: 2nd April 2004 06:50

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
This game had the greatest system for character development ever. How else could I get a character to use the 2 best swords in the game (Brave Blade and Excalibur) at the same time, without something like a Genji Glove. The ability of any character to become an excellent combination of classes is an excellent innovation.

--------------------
"I was using a metaphor. Someone shut him up before I do it with a knife."- Black Mage, 8-bit Theatre

"I found out what zombies are weak against......Point Blank Annihilation"- Black Mage, 8-bit Theatre

"You'd be paranoid too, if everyone was out to get you!"
Post #35327
anthonyyoung
Posted: 8th April 2004 14:07
Unregistered

i just downloaded the ROM, i think its ok after playing on it for a while, so its ok now. i didnt really give it a chance.
Post #36452
Posted: 11th April 2004 18:23

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I gave it a good rating. While by far not the best game in the series, it offers a chance to customize characters not seen in other games.

--------------------
Some people choose the road straight and narrow,
Some people walk the road less travelled,
I cut through the woods.
Post #37040
Posted: 11th April 2004 18:29

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I have yet to play it. It looks alright to me but I'll see when I play if I like it.

--------------------
"Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun."

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."
Post #37041
Posted: 11th April 2004 19:00

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Shivy @ 2nd April 2004 01:50)
This game had the greatest system for character development ever. How else could I get a character to use the 2 best swords in the game (Brave Blade and Excalibur) at the same time, without something like a Genji Glove. The ability of any character to become an excellent combination of classes is an excellent innovation.

ragnorok is btter than excalibur

--------------------
THE LIZARDSSS SHALL EATSSS YOU
Post #37051
Posted: 11th April 2004 23:47

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I liked the game very much. Yes, the story was lacking, but the ending made up for it. I thought everybody had good enough character development to where you know a little about the character. The job system was awsome, but sometimes it took forever to master a job. And the final boss fight was fun. So in all I enjoyed the game.

--------------------
"Ye better start believing in ghost stories; you're in one!" -Captain Barbossa (Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl)
Post #37082
Posted: 12th April 2004 00:26

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
There were a few elements that were alright, but at this point, I nearly have to force myself to play it. I want to finish it, but it's not a game that I feel motivated at all to play.

Not because it's "old school", though. I enjoy FF4 and FF6.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #37093
Posted: 13th April 2004 10:45

Crusader

Awards:
Pretty good.
At a long streak, it became a bit boring, but the Job system was better developed than in FF3 and the idea and gameplay were okay.

I voted good.
Not excellent, but alright.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #37385
Posted: 16th April 2004 19:17

Cactuar

Awards:
hello I havn't played alot of FF5 so I really don't know but for what I have played it was pretty good.

--------------------
Money is no good unspent.
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
Post #37898
Posted: 27th April 2004 07:50

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The game was good. Yes it had an extremely linear plotline compared to the other games, but it could still throw a curve or two. Graphics aren't an issue for me in the first place, and besides, its directly on par with FF4 for graphics. The music was pretty good, although I preferred to listen to some good old Linkin' Park while playing the rom. Of all things though, I loved the class system, the ability to master classes, and the option to apply some things you learned while studying one class while actually being another class. The things that I added to the game just by myself to make it more interesting is mind boggling (will my berserker attack before my hasted trainer can force the monster to attack the character with the learning ability?).

--------------------
"I was using a metaphor. Someone shut him up before I do it with a knife."- Black Mage, 8-bit Theatre

"I found out what zombies are weak against......Point Blank Annihilation"- Black Mage, 8-bit Theatre

"You'd be paranoid too, if everyone was out to get you!"
Post #39249
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: