CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
what is the 'Last Elixir'?

Posted: 19th February 2009 20:32

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
In the northern glacier, in a cave called 'inside of Gaea's cliff', that place where you have to beat up icicles to make them fall and complete the path below, on the far left there is a box and when you open it, it says you got a 'last elixir'. There is no item in my inventory called 'last elixir', and I have the same amount of normal elixirs as I did before so I obviously didn't gain any of those... what the heck is it? Is is merely non-existent, and the box is essentially empty? Or did it actually do something? I'm rather confused about this.

This post has been edited by Galhar on 19th February 2009 20:34
Post #175620
Posted: 19th February 2009 21:24

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Google tells me that...

'Last Elixir' was the Japanese name of the Megalixir item, and if you look at your menu, you will have gotten an extra Megalixir, not a new item called 'Last Elixir'.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
The opera was only performed in English ONCE. T_T

Hey, FF artists! You might want to check this challenge out!

WEBSITE <3
Post #175621
Posted: 19th February 2009 21:33

Onion Knight

Awards:
Ah, so it's yet another translation error. I can't really confirm that as I didn't know how many megalixers I had before, but it makes sense. Guess I'll just put it into the same category as all the other translation errors, like 'this guy are sick', like sleepel and cockatolis, like 'halve' instead of half in the status menu, like cloud calling sephiroth 'it' rather than 'him' in the north crater before meteor is summoned. They really did a poor job of translating this game.

Thanks for curing my curiosity!
Post #175623
Posted: 19th February 2009 21:44

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Just to throw this into the mix:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/walkthrough.php?chapter=2-4

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #175624
Posted: 19th February 2009 22:35

Onion Knight

Awards:
I see this site's strategy guide said what the Last Elixir was. I shoulda thought to check it and see before starting a thread.
Post #175626
Posted: 28th February 2009 23:08
Returner

Awards:
The Last Elixir was originally a necessary item to revive Aeris, or Aerith as some know her. But the deadline was coming closer so they stopped the plan to bring Aeris back. I've found the Last Elixir before and it doesn't appear in my inventory either. It just doesn't do anything, though I was sure Aeris' ghost at the church lingered a bit longer after I'd found it...

--------------------
Talk to me softly, there's something in your eyes...don't hang your head in sorrow, and please don't cry...I know how you feel inside, I've, I've been there before...something's changing inside you, and don't you know...
Post #175834
Posted: 1st March 2009 05:33

Onion Knight

Awards:
The Last Elixir was originally a necessary item to revive Aeris but the deadline was coming closer so they stopped the plan to bring Aeris back.

um yea that's obviously a false rumor, as we already know what the last elixir is and it's not that. As previously stated, 'last elixir' the Japanese name for 'megalixir' and that particular one got missed in translation. When you get it, your megalixir quantity increases by one. It is just a megalixir and has nothing at all to do with Aeris. Also, I've been to the church in midgar on disc 2 and 3 and there is no ghost of Aeris there, only a couple of kids playing around the flowers.
Post #175838
Posted: 1st March 2009 07:29

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think the "Last Elixir" thing should be added to the FAQ.

--------------------
Post #175839
Posted: 1st March 2009 12:50

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Hey if you've not seen the Aeris ghost I'd recommend going back to the slums right now and seeing it. That's not a false rumour.

As much as I'd like to revive Aeris, I'm pretty sure the story wouldn't pan out in the same way if she wasn't part of the lifestream. However, a different ending would be very welcome if it was possible to bring her back with a 'Last Elixer'.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #175840
Posted: 1st March 2009 15:12
Returner

Awards:
It was that particular Elixir that was going to be used to revive Aeris, that's all. The rest of them were Megalixirs, yeah, but there was one exception, and that's the one on Gaea's cliff. We've all got different views on this, we just have to accept that some are wrong. The Last Elixir is a mystery to most.

--------------------
Talk to me softly, there's something in your eyes...don't hang your head in sorrow, and please don't cry...I know how you feel inside, I've, I've been there before...something's changing inside you, and don't you know...
Post #175841
Posted: 1st March 2009 15:14

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Yuffie Valentine @ 1st March 2009 10:12)
It was that particular Elixir that was going to be used to revive Aeris, that's all. The rest of them were Megalixirs, yeah, but there was one exception, and that's the one on Gaea's cliff. We've all got different views on this, we just have to accept that some are wrong. The Last Elixir is a mystery to most.

I would love to see the source that taught you this.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #175842
Posted: 2nd March 2009 04:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Is Aeris' ghost in the old church? I was in the slums yesterday and went everywhere but the church. Hope I didn't miss it.

--------------------
Sabin: Kefka! Wait!
Kefka: Wait he says! Do I look like a waiter?
Post #175885
Posted: 2nd March 2009 05:33

Onion Knight

Awards:
I've gone back to midgar several times, as that's where you get Tifa's final weapon. I always go into the church and I have never once seen a ghost.
Post #175887
Posted: 18th April 2009 09:44
Returner

Quote (Yuffie Valentine @ 1st March 2009 15:12)

WOW! is this true? I played almost every version of the game since January 31, 1997 which is the the first Japanese released, and do you know that at the same year before the dawn of 1998 i bought the English version of it and 1998 after the school year ended i bought the International version...

and now wow you're saying that the LAST ELIXIR was able to revive!

i have tons of them in my inventory in both Japanese and International version of FFVII but it only restore my HP and MP.

And are you sure of what your name is?
Can you tell us something good about it?

"Yuffie Valentine"...

Well I can tell something about my and it may sound more clearer than yours...

exa flare is bahamut retsu's attack in Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. i just simply compress exa flare and bahamut retsu to have good reminder what flare bahamut retsu do... i don't have to mix it with other summons... like yours mixing 2 different characters in one...

This post has been edited by exa_flare_retsu on 18th April 2009 09:46
Post #176941
Posted: 19th April 2009 03:15

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Galhar @ 19th February 2009 16:33)
Ah, so it's yet another translation error. I can't really confirm that as I didn't know how many megalixers I had before, but it makes sense. Guess I'll just put it into the same category as all the other translation errors, like 'this guy are sick', like sleepel and cockatolis, like 'halve' instead of half in the status menu, like cloud calling sephiroth 'it' rather than 'him' in the north crater before meteor is summoned. They really did a poor job of translating this game.

Thanks for curing my curiosity!

They translated FFVII? When? I must've missed that.

wink.gif
Post #176945
Posted: 26th April 2009 14:14
Returner

if they didn't translate it how come we have the english version of the game?

the issue here wasn't when did they translate it, but they did a lot of poor translation of the game...

like Cid's Spirit Lance in english version was originally Longinus.

and because of their being legalistic in some of the translations they went that far by having too much typographical errors.

Post #177060
Posted: 26th April 2009 16:07
Returner

Awards:
You know, I'd really appreciate it if everybody
1. stopped taking the mick out of my name. I write fanfiction and Yuffie and Vincent happen to be the characters in a few of them
2. realised that everybody has different opinions on the last elixir. I have my opinion and I consider others opinions as well. AND- The source that taught me all this...myself!
So please stop doing this to me, everybody.

--------------------
Post #177061
Posted: 26th April 2009 16:32

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
There shouldn't be any questions about your name here - for one thing it's off topic and belongs in private messaging, and if it's done in an insulting manner it's not acceptable at all.

However, in matters of opinion, I'm afraid this one is clear cut: the Last Elixir is just a megalixir that skipped getting translated properly. From what I've read, "Last Elixir" is a fairly direct translation of the Japanese name used for all megalixirs - that one just didn't get localised into the more meaningful-to-us Western name. It's certainly not the case that this one megalixir was named differently from any of the others in the original, pre-translation game. Check out Kao Megura's splendid Changes FAQ for confirmation.

It might've helped to state clearly that it was an opinion too, since being stated as fact, and contradicting existing knowledge, is what led to these questions arising.

Please could I also ask everyone to use the spoiler BBcode to hide any spoilers about the game. OK, it's pretty old and I'm sure all of us here know what happens, but there may still be new players out there who'd be spoiled by some of the unmarked info in this topic.
Post #177062
Posted: 26th April 2009 16:35
Returner

Awards:
Thanks, Tiddles (nice name!) I appreciate you sticking up for me. I suppose you're right about what I've said. It's just things I heard years ago when I used to play FFVII 24/7, and those memories stick since I was about 8 when I started playing it and I'm 15 now. Sorry, I'll state things clearer from now on

--------------------
Post #177063
Posted: 25th May 2009 09:55
Returner

Quote (Bum Rush Blitzer @ 2nd March 2009 04:20)
Is Aeris' ghost  in the old church?  I was in the slums yesterday and went everywhere but the church.  Hope I didn't miss it.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
I was actually playing the game just 5 minutes ago actually and I ran into Aeris's ghost. Its not a special transparent model or anything, just normal Aeris tending to the flowers in the church. If you try to approach her she disappears.

If it helps, I am playing the English version for PC. Disk 2.
Post #177669
Posted: 31st July 2009 00:10
Onion Knight

Awards:
The so long debated Aeris revival once again... those are the result of these translation errors. Luckily, Ted Woosley's translation errors (Son of a Submariner, anyone?) didn't yield many rumors around FFVI.

This post has been edited by edgemty on 31st July 2009 00:11

--------------------
Yep, I'm here.
Post #180032
Posted: 31st July 2009 01:32

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (edgemty @ 30th July 2009 20:10)
The so long debated Aeris revival once again... those are the result of these translation errors. Luckily, Ted Woosley's translation errors (Son of a Submariner, anyone?) didn't yield many rumors around FFVI.

Actually, this particular topic had been dead two months before you brought it back - it appears to be you who revived it this time.

And I have no idea what FF6's translation has to do with it; feel free to not enlighten me. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #180041
Posted: 11th December 2011 00:29
Returner

Quote (Yuffie Valentine @ 26th April 2009 16:35)
Thanks, Tiddles (nice name!) I appreciate you sticking up for me. I suppose you're right about what I've said. It's just things I heard years ago when I used to play FFVII 24/7, and those memories stick since I was about 8 when I started playing it and I'm 15 now. Sorry, I'll state things clearer from now on

Phoenix Down "Revive KO'ed Ally" not "Revive Dead Ally"

Yes we have a spell called "Death" but we need to see the context of FFVII...

Death was intent for the game sake and not for story sake.

same as phoenix down.

we should posting some "hear says" let's be just stick what the story line says and everything will be fine.

javascript:emoticon('^_^')javascript:emoticon(':yes:')
Post #198415
Posted: 11th December 2011 07:58

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
lol, i always just figured that the last elixer was the last 1 you'd find on the ground. Or at least until after Meteor appears.....
ahh well.

I've seen Aeris's ghost at both opportunities. (The first is a bit weird though.)
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
If you really wanna see the ghost guaranteed. Start a new game and, right after sector 7's plate falls, go to the church with Barret and Tifa and her ghost will be there.
It should also appear at the church when you go to get tifa's final weapon but only if you didn't go see it on disk 1.

Btw

Phoenix Down "Revive KO'ed Ally" not "Revive Dead Ally"

Yes we have a spell called "Death" but we need to see the context of FFVII...

Death was intent for the game sake and not for story sake.

same as phoenix down.

we should posting some "hear says" let's be just stick what the story line says and everything will be fine.

I just have one thing thing to say to this........ What?

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 11th December 2011 08:04

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198421
Posted: 12th December 2011 01:59

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Aeris' revival with the 'Last Elixir' seems like a cool idea. I can imagine that it would have something to do with visiting her ghost in the church.

I must say, I would find it exceptionally odd if you could see her ghost on Disc 1, seeing as she's not dead yet.
Post #198443
Posted: 27th January 2012 02:42

Onion Knight

Awards:
AS FAR AS THE REVIVAL OF AERITH GOES, ive always wondered why the player later in the game had access to her final limit break and the like.
Post #199139
Posted: 13th February 2012 23:07

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (reubensmace @ 27th January 2012 02:42)
AS FAR AS THE REVIVAL OF AERITH GOES, ive always wondered why the player later in the game had access to her final limit break and the like.

Because, dear, you could also access them during disc 1. Although as I recall you could only use the princess guard for two fights. That is, Red Dragon and Demon Gate.

But Great Gospel can be got on disc 1. On disc two you may as well pick the other box.

--------------------
Yours, with sarcasm,
Kjel
Post #199296
Posted: 16th February 2012 02:57

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Kjelfalconer @ 13th February 2012 16:07)
Because, dear, you could also access them during disc 1. Although as I recall you could only use the princess guard for two fights. That is, Red Dragon and Demon Gate.

But Great Gospel can be got on disc 1. On disc two you may as well pick the other box.

Only two BOSS fights, that is. Once you get it, you can use the Princess Guard for as many random battles as you like inside the Temple of the Ancients. Also, just a note about Great Gospel, if you're going for a "perfect" item inventory, you shouldn't open the other box until you've gotten 99 Great Gospels. Once you open the other box and get the Gold Armlet, you can't trade Mythril to the Weapon Seller anymore. What's nice, though, is that after you get the last two numbers of your battle count to matching and odd, you can keep flying back and forth between the Sleeping Man and Weapon Seller collecting Great Gospels until you have 99.

FFVII is full of mistranslations like the "Last Elixir", and I don't mean just in the dialogue. There are other treasure items that are mistranslated when you first pick them up (the "Lucky Plus materia", for example) or that say they're one thing when they're actually something else. Some of the prizes at Fort Condor are probably among the best examples; two battles say that you get five Potions when you actually get five Hi-Potions, and three battles just give you a tiny blank text box which doesn't say anything (even though you actually receive five X-Potions). Another example is the Hi-Potion in the chocobo racing prizes; if you take the item instead of GP, you actually receive a Tranquilizer. So yes, there is nothing special whatsoever about the "Last Elixir". It's just a mistake.

This post has been edited by Reod Dai on 16th February 2012 02:59
Post #199333
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: