CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Game suggestion

Posted: 9th January 2012 13:25

Returner

OK just finished final fantasy 6 and looking forward to your suggestions on what rpg i should play next.........??? I have already played chrono trigger and chrono cross and this was the third time i finished ff6 have also played ff7 and ff9... All suggestions welcome
Post #198955
Posted: 10th January 2012 05:00

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 

FFIV. You can pick it up via DS or PSP you have one or buy it from Ebay and get it for the PlayStation if you still have a working PlayStation 2.

FFV is also pretty good as well. Which you can download from the PSP store for a few short bucks and like FF IV you can get it from Ebay and buy it for the PlayStation.

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #198964
Posted: 10th January 2012 09:28

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
VI, VII, IX, CT, and CC, eh?

I is always a good choice, but only if story isn't high on your priority list.
II's good but awfully quirky, and there's more (but still very little) story.

Both are in Origins, which is being put on the PSN tomorrow. Both are also available on PSP, but separately.

IV is a good solid choice. If you're going for the FULL experience, go for the PSP's Complete Collection, which has the sequel included.

I may get flak for this, but VIII might be a good choice. I dunno, people tend to be pretty polarized on this one. I like it, but then, I have a history with it.

If you'd rather stray from the typical JRPG style but still remain within the FF series, then XII and/or XIII may work for you. Like VIII, most fans either loved or hated these two, but in my book they're both solid choices.

Also within Ivalice (world of XII) are Tactics and Vagrant Story, both also good.

And yes, I'm aware that I just promoted the bulk of the FF series. So what--this is a Final Fantasy fansite.

--------------------
HSUP B TCELES
Post #198965
Posted: 11th January 2012 10:32

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
VI, VII and IX are all-time amazing games, I don't think there's anything quite like any of them. I rate XII as my third favourite of the series so that gets a big recommendation from me. The gameplay is refined and a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, which shouldn't take too long. Hold out until more of the characters are introduced before judging the story, however. smile.gif

If you're looking for pure story you can't go far wrong with FFT, one of the best plots in the series. I haven't spent enough time tweaking with the gameplay but I know there are people here who rate FFT as having the best gameplay of the lot as well. The system can take a bit of getting used to but the CoN guides will take you through some of the difficult early battles. I played it fully for the first time last year and it stands up very well today. What an ending!

Aside from the FF series I'd recommend Bastion as one of the best new RPGs out there. It's available on Steam and also within the Chrome browser. It's great in every department but I like it most for the narrator's voice and its bluesy soundtrack that works surprisingly well in a fantasy game. You can try a demo here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/o...almicpokoefkgid.
Actually just remembering that soundtrack I've got to link the best song in the game: Give it a listen!

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #198974
Posted: 12th January 2012 08:51

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (sweetdude @ 11th January 2012 10:32)
VI, VII and IX are all-time amazing games, I don't think there's anything quite like any of them.

Personally:

I loved ff6,enjoyed ff8's corny moments,but thought that the over the top just made it unintentionally funny,and ff9 was fun for a while.

FF tactics has a good story.The story kinda reminds me of suikoden 2 with its theme of friendship and your friend is your enemy.

I feel sorry for delita.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198985
Posted: 14th January 2012 14:18

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
If you enjoyed VI and CT, then IV would be a pretty logical next step. It's a solid game, a real meed-to-play for fans of the old school.

After that, I cannot recommend FFX enough. It's the best formulated and developed story I've ever played; it completely rewrote my standard for videogames.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #199013
Posted: 18th January 2012 07:18

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
One of my favorites that I'm playing right now is the first Wild Arms game. It's pretty dated as it was one of if not the first PSOne RPG but I really like it. The dungeons are puzzley and the story is pretty decent. Definitely not detailed and in depth to the caliber of the FF series, but still a good game anyway. It's available for download on PSN network for PS3 or PSP. I've replayed the game several times but not completed it and it unlike I found with Chrono Trigger never bores me to replay it.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #199057
Posted: 19th January 2012 09:06

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
The big question here is what consoles do you have available to you? Just a psONE? or a PS3? What about a PS2?
(If you only have a PSONE then I personally would suggest just flipping a coin with heads being VIII and tails being Tactics)
I'd personally say X (if you have a PS2) because there wasn't anything all around terrible about the game like VIII although VIII in its own rights was a great game too but, lets just face it, everyone hated how the magic system works on it. (I will stand to suggest that VIII to this day has the best summoning animations in the series though) If you can get past it's flaws though then VIII is an awesome story. A lot of my friends who don't like final fantasy think it's cool because of all the SeeD stuff your involved in in it.

to suggest some good rpg's not listed yet, if you have a ps2 around somewhere I'd suggest "Tales of the Abyss" if you can track a copy down.
If you have a Wii or Gamecube then I couldn't stress how much a good investment tracking down a copy of "Tales of Symphonia" would be.
Last but not least, if you have a ps3 and are looking for an all new RPG then save some money up and there are 2 more options comming here in the next 2 months. (FF XIII-2 on January 1st and Tales of Graces f on March 15th)

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 19th January 2012 09:08

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #199067
Posted: 19th January 2012 19:30

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Don't listen to these guys, go play Secret of Mana.

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #199075
Posted: 19th January 2012 22:29

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Zero_Hawk @ 19th January 2012 12:30)
Don't listen to these guys, go play Secret of Mana.

Ooo good one. I always forget about Secret of Mana.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #199077
Posted: 16th February 2012 03:11

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Xenogears. If you haven't played it, then you need to. Now.

Final Fantasy Tactics is another absolute must. So are Suikoden and Suikoden II. FFIV is also a good choice.
Post #199334
Posted: 23rd February 2012 02:50

Black Mage

Awards:
Breath of Fire III

FF 8 is fine, but you have to get used to the junction system and allow yourself to accept that spells are more handled like items.
Post #199428
Posted: 24th February 2012 05:28

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Secret of Mana is meh if you're playing it by yourself; to really enjoy grinding magic and stuff you need to play it with at least one other person.

I'll second FFIV and FFV. For FFV specifically, SNES RPGe translation or GBA version recommended.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #199459
Posted: 24th February 2012 16:11

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 24th February 2012 05:28)
Secret of Mana is meh if you're playing it by yourself; to really enjoy grinding magic and stuff you need to play it with at least one other person.

I'll second FFIV and FFV. For FFV specifically, SNES RPGe translation or GBA version recommended.

Secret of mana is a good game to get if you like gameplay.
Gameplay is the strongest aspect of secret of mana,same for chrono trigger too.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #199476
Posted: 24th February 2012 17:06

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I'd disagree about gameplay; I found gameplay tedious in Secret of Mana--especially leveling up magic spells. Considering that you only have about 12 MP to start off, and each spell costs 3 or 4 MP, that means you need to out of your way to find enemies (away from a town), cast the attack spell three or four times, and go all the way back to town to sleep, and repeat this whole process three or four times per magic level.

With a friend, though, it was much more fun, surprisingly. That's why I recommend playing it with a friend.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 24th February 2012 17:07

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #199477
Posted: 24th February 2012 18:42

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
The weapon and magic leveling is definitely tedious on SoM. That's part of why I have always preferred its sequel Seiken Densetsu 3. SD3 is awesome and definitely worth a look.

--------------------
Post #199484
Posted: 24th February 2012 19:31

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 24th February 2012 11:06)
I'd disagree about gameplay; I found gameplay tedious in Secret of Mana--especially leveling up magic spells. Considering that you only have about 12 MP to start off, and each spell costs 3 or 4 MP, that means you need to out of your way to find enemies (away from a town), cast the attack spell three or four times, and go all the way back to town to sleep, and repeat this whole process three or four times per magic level.

For the first four elementals - which is being very generous for your 12 MP requirement - both the girl and the sprite have a spell in their arsenal that costs at most 2 MP (Freeze 2, Speed Down 1, Air Blast 2, Fireball 2, Remedy 1, Defender 2, Analyzer 1, Flame Sabre 2). It gets expensive when you reach Lumina - Lucid Barrier is the cheapest at 4, but by that time you should have 30+ MP and the gold to afford faerie walnuts if necessary.

And going "out of your way to find enemies" is at most 1 screen away in most instances. You really just need to be in a room where your characters have their weapons out to get the full leveling impact, so going to the Wind Palace to get free healing to level up the girl's magic is incredibly fast and not tedious at all.

You can make it through the game without ever even using magic (aside from crystal orbs / mana magic), so leveling up isn't even that big of a deal to begin with.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #199485
Posted: 24th February 2012 21:09

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
You can make it through the game without ever even using magic (aside from crystal orbs / mana magic), so leveling up isn't even that big of a deal to begin with.

You can? I remember having a very tough time with Fire Gigas with level zero magic, and Wall Face was practically impossible with level zero magic. That's why I mention this.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #199487
Posted: 24th February 2012 23:04

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 24th February 2012 15:09)
You can? I remember having a very tough time with Fire Gigas with level zero magic, and Wall Face was practically impossible with level zero magic. That's why I mention this.

Fire Gigas was probably the most difficult part of my no-magic game. But even with level 0 magic, you're still going to get off five shots of Freeze on him before running out of MP (unless you're severely underleveled you'll likely have 11 MP for that battle) which should get you a few charged weapon shots away from killing him. Fire Gigas was also DEFINITELY the most difficult part of my single-player Boy challenge, which I guess was also a no-magic game by default as well.

I feel like I'm taking this pretty far off-topic though, heh. flag-olly.gif

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #199489
Posted: 25th February 2012 12:52

Crusader

Awards:
I found an easy solution to that.
I always train my defensive magic near the seed temple of the village where sprite is from.Its a great area to train offensive magic and defensive magic.
The reason for this:There are a ton of enemies around.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #199493
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: