CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
In your opinion, toughest storyline battles?

Posted: 18th July 2006 03:55

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Stupid Gafgarion.

Edit: Er...that Execution Site.

This post has been edited by Zeromus_X on 18th July 2006 03:55

--------------------
Post #124742
Posted: 18th July 2006 03:59

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
One-on-one Weigraf the first time I played. Took me forever.
Post #124743
Posted: 18th July 2006 04:43

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Weigraf One-on-one, followed by Velius and his demons is the toughest fight in the game(Or a long on due to the yell, Auto-Potion stratagy, and where the game offers you to save can royally screw you if you arn't prepared.(If you are playing though the game the first time, Make TWO different save files if the game offers you to save in a series of battles.)

--------------------
Blah Blah Blah Tidal Wave Spam!
Post #124749
Posted: 18th July 2006 05:24

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Wiegraf mano-a-mano is pretty tough.

When I first started playing FFT though, Algus' battle at Ft. Zeakden was also quite tough
Post #124755
Posted: 18th July 2006 12:06

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
The second battle with Balk always proves quite interesting for me.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #124769
Posted: 18th July 2006 19:17
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Balk II.
Execution Site.
Slums of Dorter.
Post #124799
Posted: 18th July 2006 22:46

Cactuar

Awards:
At the Gate of Lionel Castle (Chapter 2): This is the one where Ramza is on one side of the gate fighting Gafgarion 1-on-1, while your other four party members are outnumbered on the other side of the gate. (Ramza can open the gate, but the party is still outnumbered 7-5.) I usually try to even the playing field by having Ramza break Gafgarion's weapon. (This works best if he is a Chemist with Break Skill and a gun, but then the Chemist is vulnerable afterwards.)

Within Riovanes Castle (Chapter 3): One difficult aspect of this battle is that you do not have a chance to save and recover between the battle with Wiegraf and the battle with Velius. The first part of this battle requires Ramza to fight alone, when Wiegraf can devastate him with the Lightning Stab skill.

At the Gate of Limberry Castle (Chapter 4): This battle forces you to fight two Assassins (Celia and Lede) and four Apandas. The Apandas have an annoying habit of inflicting debilitating status effects -- especially Petrify. The Assassins have an annoying habit of charming and killing your characters. The main problem with this battle is that with the exception of the Ribbon, there is no combination of items that can prevent Charm, Death, and Petrify. Your best bet is to target one Assassin, since her death will end the entire battle.

Inside of Limberry Castle (Chapter 4): In the very next battle, you have to contend with Celia, Lede, and the undead Elmdor. If you don't equip 108 Gems, the Blood Suck ability can quickly turn the tide against you. However, the main difficulty is surviving long enough to steal all of Elmdor's excellent equipment.

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #124826
Posted: 18th July 2006 22:56

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
I could've opened the gate? sleep.gif; Aw hell.

--------------------
Post #124829
Posted: 19th July 2006 00:17
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Gate of Lionel: Everyone except the Summoner and Gafgarion has a lightning weapon. Equip Rubber Shoes and those two will be your only threat. I didn't realize this until my first SCC, but it was damn useful. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Fuzzypickles on 19th July 2006 00:17
Post #124838
Posted: 19th July 2006 15:00

Lunarian

Awards:
The battle at the Golgorand Execution Site, at the gate of Lionel Castle, and the infamous Weigraf/Velius battle are the hardest. One-on-one vs. Weigraf was easy, but the one against Velius was really tough.

The battle at Bethla Garrison's Sluice was very tough for me on my first playthrough 'cause I knew it said you had to open the floodgates, but I had no idea how until it hit me almost after I had defeated the enemy that those Knights were standing there ground for a reason tongue.gif .

I would also say the battle at the rooftop of Riovanes Castle 'cause when Rafa has her AT before anyone on my party does, she almost always allows herself to fall by Elmdor and his assassins. Another hard battle (that gets easier with each playthrough) is the story battle against the mercs at Bariaus Hill. Those Summoners and the hard-to-reach Archers took it's toll on my controller as have a tendency to throw my controller at various things out of gaming irritation.

--------------------
"Thought I was dead, eh? Not until I fulfill my dream!"
Seifer Almasy

"The most important part of the story is the ending."
Secret Window

"Peace is but a shadow of death."
Kuja
Post #124886
Posted: 19th July 2006 19:31

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I would say Limberry Castle and the battle in there

--------------------
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it Bings"

What you call dog with no legs?
Don't matter what you call him, he ain't gonna come.
HEHE sorry
Wee FF VIII rules... XD
Post #124908
Posted: 21st July 2006 21:12

Black Mage

Awards:
took me so long to figure out that you could open the gate with Gafgarion. I found out AFTER i killed him. If you get lucky and break his sword, the battle is so easy.

--------------------
Can you pull down the dawn?
It's been so dark since you've been gone
and we've been begging for the morning to come.
We were so optimistic,
wasn't it so easy to be?
We were young and naive.
-The Hush Sound: Eileen
Post #125293
Posted: 27th July 2006 20:49

Crusader

Awards:
iwhen i go to fight elmdor (im pretty sure this works as ive done it a lot and it worked every time),i have 2 healers and ramza who has mastered steal, and take down his brave and steal away.... i HATE the first battle with rafa and you have to guard her. either i kill her cause she doesnt move when i cast Fire4, or the ninjas kill her

This post has been edited by dont chocobos rule? on 2nd August 2006 04:38

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #126031
Posted: 4th August 2006 23:33

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Until I started playing the game in a train-heavy, master all classes style, I'd have to say going one on one with Wiegraf... It's not easy.

Unless of course Ramza's 30 or so more levels then him. Turns the "battle" into chocolate cake then.

So overall I'd have to say Finath River. It's insanely hard, even with a well-trained party. Quite frankly, I can't seem to recall how I eventually won it, but it couldn't have been easy.

In short, fighting several level 80 Red Chocobos is an absolute nightmare.

--------------------
Oh noes! Teh MSN Space!
Post #127037
Posted: 5th August 2006 00:01

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Definitely the Wiegraf and Velius battle because you don't get to heal between, and you are a first timer than that makes this battle that much harder........ ohmy.gif

... and funner!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Chrsit for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

Acts 4:12

Matthew 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
Post #127038
Posted: 10th August 2006 18:49
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
The hardest battle in the game changes depended on how you level.

In the guide book from FFT oh so many years back, it very specifically tells you how to raise your level. Problem being that the suggested level for the first fight of Chapter 2? Totally bogus. I got slammed.

Since then, I've been a mad-lev'lin mofo.

But I'll go through it on a chapter to chapter basis.

In chapter one, I oft found myself challenged more by the Save Algus fight. First time, cause the level is kinda hard without a helping hand. After that? It's just getting over the 'I hate Algus'. Other than that, Miluda tends to be difficult on a couple levels, and specifically the first meeting. Other than that? All easy

Chapter two only presented two real challenges in my eyes. Execution site and Lionel Gate. I thought that the Execution was just annoying, cause it was the first time Time Mages got to stretch their legs. And the gate? First time I didn't know about the lever, ignore height, teleport, all that fun stuff.

Three was not difficult. I never failed at Weigraf. Honestly, I gutted him with many the Kung-Fu fist of iron murderification.

Chapter four had hard parts. No one battle was hard, and all the side quests were... well... annoying. Cloud's quest has never been done twice by me, because the pay off was way too little for so much damned time.
Post #127800
Posted: 10th August 2006 21:47

Returner

Awards:
I would have to agree with Finath River. You can't level (much) higher than the chochobo's (unless you are in to delevel/leveling) so the battle will be tough no matter what. Not to mention, I love how Ramza comments on the depth of the river when faced by 6 Red Chocobos. My first thoughts as a player consisted of "Holy $#!* thats a lot of red chocobos," and "I really hope one of these is a guest." Not to mention, its one of the last battles you must fight before getting TG Cid.
Post #127822
Posted: 10th August 2006 22:42

Dragoon

Awards:
I remember thinking Firnath rive was going to be tough. But It really wasn't It my most recent playthough I had time magic and Mustadio+Haste=Don't act or I'll shoot.
Really it was rather fun.
Don't act
Don't act
ahhh sh*t somebody died
Don't act
Don't act
Revive
Don't act
Don't act
Mass slaughter

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #127826
Posted: 11th August 2006 03:32

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Griff Morivan @ 10th August 2006 13:49)
In chapter one, I oft found myself challenged more by the Save Algus fight.

if you say your duty is to kill the death corps, algus can die

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #127850
Posted: 11th August 2006 14:01

Returner

Awards:
That was the best option every time. You could bypass the requirements to Save Algus, Boco, and even Mustadio. I think it gave you better brave throughout the battle if you chose not to save the character also, but I could be wrong. I think that Ovelia, Agrias, and Rafa x2 were the only ones that you were forced to keep alive.
Post #127893
Posted: 12th August 2006 18:08
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Saving Boco and Mustadio is a Brave bonus. NOT saving Algus is a Brave bonus.

Finath is only hard if you overlevel. If you are at a low level then it's quite easy.

The level that a guide suggests means nothing. It should be quite apparent that level means very little in this game and it's more about your abilities. The game has been beaten as a Level 1 Ramza (using a GS to prevent EXP gain) so level isn't really important.

Also, that guide is comical. It leaves out very important information (Brave and Faith, PA bonus for males/MA bonus for females) and has very funny ability rankings. Each ability has a "usefulness" score attached to it and I remember some of them made me laugh at how ridiculous they were. happy.gif
Post #127984
Posted: 6th September 2006 15:46

Cactuar

Awards:
Defiantly the wiegraf and velius battle.The wiegraf battle was'nt hard for me considering i was a Pices,and the damage was lessend down to 70 damage from lightning stab.But,the velius fight was pretty tough considering u can't heal and he can easily petrify all ur characters who aren't wearin a jade armlet or barette.

--------------------
Can't we get a better mission than this.I HATE CATS!!!!

Quote from Naruto
Post #130274
Posted: 6th September 2006 16:59

Lunarian

Awards:
To be non-conventional I always hated that one at the Library where Weigraf walks in and wastes a couple party members at the get go. Also Balk and the Tiamats gave me hella-hard times on my first playthrough.

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #130279
Posted: 6th September 2006 23:12

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
I will now list my top five hardest battles for me:

1.) Bethla Garrison Floodgate (HATRED!!1)
2.) One-on-One with Wiegraf (More annoying then hard, but Yelling to 50 speed took awhile...)
3.) Golgorand Execution Site (hatred!!1one level three)
4.) Balk w/Tiamats (I died a few times...)
5.) Hashmalum (Don't laugh! That Melt hurts alot!)

--------------------
Post #130308
Posted: 7th September 2006 11:40

Lunarian

Awards:
Wow, I can't be the only one who has had an easy battle against Weigraf one-on-one, even on my first playthrough he was not that hard and everytime, I'm between levels 20-30 (tops), but the one against Velius is a completely different story.

I forgot to mention the battle at Finath River is a toughie and one that I usually have to re-do more than once and Hashmalum was very hard for me, too my first time around as was the second battle against Balk.

--------------------
"Thought I was dead, eh? Not until I fulfill my dream!"
Seifer Almasy

"The most important part of the story is the ending."
Secret Window

"Peace is but a shadow of death."
Kuja
Post #130322
Posted: 7th September 2006 22:31

Returner

I had to cheat for Wiegraf one-on-one, so definitely that one. The Velius fight was hard too.

--------------------
Currently playing: FFT (ePSXe style), Disgaea, SSBM, NFSU, CoD/CoD2 (PC), other random games.

When this girl at the art museum asked me whom I liked better, Monet or Manet, I said, "I like mayonnaise." She just stared at me, so I said it again, louder. Then she left. I guess she went to try to find some mayonnaise for me.
Post #130350
Posted: 13th September 2006 05:30

Returner

Awards:
I do belive that Wiegraf himself is quite a difficult battle, mostly because MAINTENCE makes it hard to disable his Holy Sword Skill.

But the battle I found the hardest is the battle with Balk at Muround Death City. Both Tiamat and the Dark Behemoth cause great amounts of pain! Ow! X.o

There's also the battle against Worker 7. If you go straight for 7, it's not that difficult, but if you're trying to pick up the items around him, it's hard.

But I think the battle I hate the most is against Elmdor, even if you're not trying to rip off his Genji Gear!

--------------------
"There are two sides of a coin,I am the thin line between them."
Post #130667
Posted: 8th October 2006 03:09

Black Mage

Awards:
I'm going to call the ones that you have to train for the hardest, and there are only a few of them:

Riovanes holds two - the Wiegraf fight / the Elmdor fight
vs. Gafgarion at Lionel
the Algus fight at Fort Zeakden
Elmdor fight at Limberry
Wiegraf fight at Orbonne
Meliadoul fight
Gafgarion fight at Golgorand

during these fights, if you aren't prepared- you are either going to lose, or suffer some bad losses. Unless you get lucky - in which case anything can happen, i used to think the fight against Gafgarion at Golgorand Execution Site was easy, butthe third time i played (and every time since) it has been ridiculously difficult. And any fight with Wiegraf/Elmdor is going to be a dangerous one.

--------------------
[img]http://img83.exs.cx:81/img83/2/ramzaanddelita2rayni7wx.jpg[/img]
Post #132071
Posted: 10th October 2006 02:37

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
But the battle I found the hardest is the battle with Balk at Muround Death City. Both Tiamat and the Dark Behemoth cause great amounts of pain! Ow! X.o

Oh, yeah, I forgot about this 'fun' one. The Chemist enemy is annoing, to!

Another Annoying one is the army of gunslinging chemists above the Mines. Those X-Potions and Phinox Downs begin to wear your paicnce.

This post has been edited by Starsoul-klr on 10th October 2006 02:37

--------------------
Blah Blah Blah Tidal Wave Spam!
Post #132153
Posted: 10th October 2006 04:45

Returner

Awards:
i would have to say finath river cuz going up against lvl 99 red chocobos was some serious shit but overall since ie beaten the game many times once u done it it gets easier but another one was with the flood gates the first time i ever played it it took me 2 hours to figure it out lol i was young then lol but really thats it

--------------------
Live For Everything, Die For Nothing  *The Game
Post #132165
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: