CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
GAU !

Posted: 12th August 2003 15:44

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Can anyone tell me some good enemies to "Leap".

Thanks for helping me out !  ;)

--------------------
-The brave do not fear the grave-
Post #16095
Posted: 12th August 2003 16:50
SOLDIER

Awards:
Magic Urn - Cure 3, all-elemental absorb, immunity to nearly all ailments and Haste, Regen, Near Fatal, Clear (!), and Image.  Haste and Regen are the result of Slow/Seizure immunity, and Near Fatal will still be applied at 1/8 HP but won't be taken off until the battle ends due to immunity (good for Gogo, that means X-Meteo could come out at any time, for Gau though, it doesn't mean much).  These immunities can be a good thing if you apply the necessary status BEFORE going into Rage.  Also, bear in mind Poison absorption also absorbs the ailment's damage, so if you don't mind after-battle healing, you can poison Gau before Magic Urn Rage to complement Regen.

Stray Cat - CatScratch (Physical attack damage * 4).  Most powerful Special attack, definitely helpful.

Areneid/Primordite - Numb/Numblade (Stop).  Might be useful in some situations, Dadaluma and Ultros come to mind.

ChickenLip - Quake.  Get a few Gaia Gears, and here's your Merton for the WOB.

Pterodon and Hazer - Fire Ball and Bolt 2.  Pterodon also floats and Hazer has instant death protection, along with Petrify and Condemned immunity.  Good at the beginning for their attacks.

Cirpius - Haste2.  You can get this during Sabin's scenario, while the spell itself won't be available to you for a long time.

Rhobite and Rhinox - Life and Life 3.  One revives for free, the other casts Life 3 for free.  Can't beat that in the WOB, especially since Life 3 isn't available any other way for a good while.

For looks:

Io - Flare Star.  Very cool looking, but serves little purpose unless the enemy's level is high, is vulnerable to Fire (preferably weak), and has few or no allies (Flare Star divides damage by ALL targets, instead of by 2 for multiple targets).  The only use I thought of would be for a low level game, but even then, it's not much.

Retainer - Shock.  Play as Leo all you want, and realize how crappy this attack really is by the time you can get this Rage.  Hell, I've got better for you if you don't mind an elemental property...

Weapons:

Imp Halberd - The only weapon that Gau can equip without Merit Award.  By default, this is also the only way he can use Genji Glove/Offering.  Only one serves to lower Gau's Bat.Pwr by 9 though (well, beef it up by just 1 point technically, when a character has no weapon you can get their real Bat.Pwr by subtracting 10).

Tempest - While mediocre for Cyan, this is the weapon for which I coined Gau's "Wind God" nickname (and what I was referring to above).  Get the Merit Award and mix this with Stray Cat Rage for the best example of why this weapon is popular.  You think CatScratch on one enemy is hellacious, try all enemies with no split damage (def.: damage is not divided by 2 for multiple targets, IOW all enemies are gonna get the full effect at once!).  Wind Slash can also be mixed with ailment Specials to create unblockable status spells that will hit any vulnerable enemy.  Heart Burn (Crawly, causes Seizure), Duster (Beakor, causes Poison), Numb, and SleepSting (Mind Candy, causes Sleep) are some examples to play with concerning this.  Probably the best find I ever made. :)

There are others, such as Mover (Merton), Figaliz, Scullion (both Dischord), Doom Drgn (N. Cross), Gilomantis, Toe Cutter (both Shrapnel), Behemoth (Meteor), Wyvern (Cyclonic), Luridan (Land Slide), but that's usually what I use.  You'll want more responses than this one though, for I did neglect the WOB quite a bit in this post.

--------------------
Post #16105
Posted: 13th August 2003 18:10
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
If I may add something, you may want to leap an Earthguard. It casts Big Guard on your party (Safe + shell on each character).

--------------------
Fear the Minstrel Boy, for he sings.
Post #16161
Posted: 14th August 2003 13:54

Lunarian

Awards:
I now have a respect for Gau I never had... Thanks.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #16214
Posted: 14th August 2003 16:09

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
uh i don't really understand what you guys mean with 'leap' since i never used gau (he was the 1 char i didn't put in the teams to enter kefka's tower) can anyone plz tell me what leap is?

--------------------
Yeah from the outside she looks like a troll, but on the inside she got blonde hairs and big boobs - Fokke & Sukke
Post #16218
Posted: 14th August 2003 16:18

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Maybe you would have used him had you bothered to find out. :p

When you are on the Veldt with Gau, you can leap on to monsters. You then can use them as Rages, which beserk Gau and cause him to attack using some of the special attacks of the monster you chose. You HAD to use Gau at least for part of the WoB, why didn't you ever try to figure out what to do with him? ^_^

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #16220
Posted: 19th August 2003 21:10

Cactuar

Awards:
my favorite has to be
Tyranosaur. since I can finally have someone use Meteo on the enemies. very good attack against the final boss.
Post #16425
Posted: 20th August 2003 06:25

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Question: When Gau "leaps" away, does he gain the rage of only the enemy he leapt on, or does he gain the rage from each enemy for as long as he's gone?

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #16441
Posted: 20th August 2003 07:51

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
If i remember correctly, it was the monsters that he leaped onto. And the monsters your fighting when he comes back.

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #16442
Posted: 21st August 2003 19:28
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Mewmon @ 19 Aug 2003, 16:10)
my favorite has to be
Tyranosaur. since I can finally have someone use Meteo on the enemies. very good attack against the final boss.

But if you are looking for the Meteo attack from someone, Behemoth also does it, and you can get him sooner than Tyranosaur.

--------------------
Nobody cares about your complaints.
                        - A friend of mine
Post #16503
Posted: 21st August 2003 23:56
SOLDIER

Awards:
No, Behemoth's Rage does Meteor, the black magic spell.  Tyranosaur's Rage casts Meteo, the enemy spell.

Yes, it can be confusing....

--------------------
Post #16504
Posted: 22nd August 2003 03:44

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
Screw Tyranosaur, leap an Intangir on the World of Balance and you can get a Meteo rage seriously early.

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #16511
Posted: 22nd August 2003 09:43

Black Mage

Awards:
My personal favorite is the White Dragon's pearl becuase alot of enemies are weak or are not resistant to Holy.  What do you think of White Dragon Oh wise Zed!

--------------------
aint superstitious Black cat crossed my trail
I aint superstitious But a Black cat crossed my trail
But Lord has got me so far and I wont let her stop me now
The dogs begin to bark all over my neighborhood
And that aint all
The dogs begin to bark all over my neighborhood
UMmHMm
This is a mean old world to live in and I cant face it by myself
Post #16520
Posted: 22nd August 2003 12:43
SOLDIER

Awards:
I find most Rages to be mediocre, which is why I only go for a select few from memory.  I don't use White Drgn because I don't find a Pearl Rage to be of any use, but whatever floats yer boat, I suppose.  But since this is White Drgn in particular we're talking about, one tip; look out for Mute.

Oh, BTW, Intangir's Rage, while as far as status and elemental defense is top-notch in the WOB, uses Pep Up for its attack.  Unless you want to teach it to Strago really badly, or you don't mind potentially wasted turns (if you mute Gau before Rage, he can't cast Pep Up), it's a horrible Rage.  It'll protect him from many things, but his attacks won't be as frequent as you'd want and it still won't prevent Stop, which means Brainpans will be able to torment Gau just like the rest of the crew if you try Intangir....

--------------------
Post #16531
Posted: 23rd August 2003 03:46

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Master ZED @ 21 Aug 2003, 18:56)
No, Behemoth's Rage does Meteor, the black magic spell.  Tyranosaur's Rage casts Meteo, the enemy spell.

Yes, it can be confusing....

Yea. not the black magic Meteor, but the Enemy skill Meteo.
when I was first saw it, I wished could use it. It look like a very neat attack to use.
most of the times when I meet enemies using Meteo, I was getting annoyed by getting hit by it.
there was an enemy that used it when I was trying to protect Banon, there is this one enemy that used this attack and killed him off. (it caused around 300 points of damage when this happened)
I kept on getting hit by this attack and wishing I would attack them with Meteo.
when I was busy leaping enemies, I've looked up on some enemy walktho for rage for Gau.
when finally founded out how to use Meteo,
It was payback time on those enemies.
When I was using Meteo, it felt like I'm having fun using it to shower on the enemies.
I also liked Barb-e rage too.
since Love token makes it fun to get the enemies to protect Gau/Gogo.

Post #16574
Posted: 25th August 2003 19:42
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I could have sworn the Behemoth from the floating continent does Meteo for a rage.  At least that's what I'm getting from the japanese translated rom without the US edits.

--------------------
Nobody cares about your complaints.
                        - A friend of mine
Post #16660
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: