CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Preventing Deception

Posted: 27th October 2014 10:51

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
In terms of legal matters like spoiling a game. We obviously know FF has been a big part of our life. I'm thinking ahead a little in way to preserve it.

What's stops someone in the future from changing everything? Maybe you've given your life story about it here. You told the truth and we can enjoy it.

Is there an achive out there? What stops people from breaking encyptions and/or simply destroying it?

Thoughts.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #207601
Posted: 31st October 2014 05:02

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Your premise is unclear.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207620
Posted: 31st October 2014 08:27

Cactuar

Awards:
I'm testing the waters. This is a snapback to reality for some I presume. One day it could all be gone. Enjoy it now like we have. smile.gif

--------------------

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #207621
Posted: 31st October 2014 13:14

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Eagle Caller @ 31st October 2014 04:27)
I'm testing the waters. This is a snapback to reality for some I presume. One day it could all be gone. Enjoy it now like we have. smile.gif

That still doesn't really make any sense to me. What reality are some of us ignoring? What are you talking about "someone" changing things "in the future?" What is it that you're looking for in an archive, and what do you need archived? What is this "it" that could "all be gone?"

Color me confused.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #207623
Posted: 1st November 2014 06:27

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Forgive me, but if you are serious about this, it sounds like you are either speaking English as a second language or suffering from a peculiar form of dementia.

Dare I ask you to elaborate further? tongue.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207625
Posted: 19th November 2014 13:15

Cactuar

Awards:
I've had my accounts tampered with in the past so I was going to quit. Lets try to get to the real reason why we're here.

Edit-Also, if I leave for a long time and come back will it be what I remember? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Eagle Caller on 19th November 2014 13:37

--------------------

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #207761
Posted: 25th November 2014 19:26

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Eagle Caller @ 19th November 2014 08:15)
I've had my accounts tampered with in the past so I was going to quit. Lets try to get to the real reason why we're here.

Edit-Also, if I leave for a long time and come back will it be what I remember? smile.gif

Yes, but you continue to confuse us.
Post #207776
Posted: 1st January 2015 07:52

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
This is a robot. It's a test for someone. I suggest you ban it.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #208005
Posted: 22nd April 2015 21:59

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (MogMaster @ 1st January 2015 00:52)
This is a robot. It's a test for someone. I suggest you ban it.

Either that or it's a troll. Seriously, this guy has come to one of my topics with "You're asking for legal consultation. What are you planning to do with it?" when it was a question of morals.

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #208567
Posted: 22nd April 2015 22:47

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Are you sally in disguise? Are you sally in disguise!?
Post #208568
Posted: 23rd April 2015 02:36

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 22nd April 2015 15:47)

Uh, Cefca? *eye twitches at spelling*
Who's sally?

--------------------

Post #208569
Posted: 23rd April 2015 03:20

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Ker @ 22nd April 2015 21:36)
Quote (Cefca @ 22nd April 2015 15:47)

Uh, Cefca? *eye twitches at spelling*
Who's sally?

Sally (Salamando) is a bot created by CoN members who says nonsense in the CoN chatroom. Sally's speech is semi-random amalgamations of chat logs. Basically the best bot ever. Here's Sally's Twitter.

And it's spelled Cefca in English spellings of Japanese publications. Aka Tina, Stragus, and Mash instead of Terra, Strago, or Sabin.

--------------------
Post #208570
Posted: 24th April 2015 02:05

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I realise it's usually spelt Kefka, but that name was taken one time when I tried to use it (can't remember where) so I just took to using this spelling.

And yeah, Eagle Caller just reminds me of a bot trying in vain to sound like a real person.
Post #208578
Posted: 24th April 2015 15:04

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 22nd April 2015 20:20)

And it's spelled Cefca in English spellings of Japanese publications.  Aka Tina, Stragus, and Mash instead of Terra, Strago, or Sabin.

realise it's usually spelt Kefka, but that name was taken one time when I tried to use it (can't remember where) so I just took to using this spelling.

I know. But being an American, I learned it as "Kefka". And since I have some level of OCD, it bothers me a tad when I see it spelled "Cefca" or "Kefca".
Not to say people can't spell it that way if they want to. It's just weird to me. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ker on 24th April 2015 15:17

--------------------

Post #208586
Posted: 24th April 2015 15:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Man, you guys are sucking all the fun out of trying to get this guy to respond. Though, given his responses, I doubt anything we say would have any bearing on what he says back.

If he's a bot, don't run him off. He's the best kind of bot, weird but not trying to spam us with links to phishing schemes. tongue.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #208588
Posted: 24th April 2015 22:21

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Ker @ 24th April 2015 15:04)
Quote (laszlow @ 22nd April 2015 20:20)

And it's spelled Cefca in English spellings of Japanese publications.  Aka Tina, Stragus, and Mash instead of Terra, Strago, or Sabin.

realise it's usually spelt Kefka, but that name was taken one time when I tried to use it (can't remember where) so I just took to using this spelling.

I know. But being an American, I learned it as "Kefka". And since I have some level of OCD, it bothers me a tad when I see it spelled "Cefca" or "Kefca".
Not to say people can't spell it that way if they want to. It's just weird to me. biggrin.gif

Now Kefca would just be wrong.
Post #208593
Posted: 24th April 2015 23:48

Black Mage

Awards:
Yeah, but sadly I see it spelled as "Kefca" ( or on occasion "Cefka") a lot. Those mess with my OCD a lot more than "Cefca" because "Cefca" is at least a proper romanization of "ケフカ".

--------------------

Post #208594
Posted: 1st May 2015 00:11

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Ker @ 24th April 2015 19:48)
Yeah, but sadly I see it spelled as "Kefca" ( or on occasion "Cefka") a lot. Those mess with my OCD a lot more than "Cefca" because "Cefca" is at least a proper romanization of "ケフカ".

ケフカ is written in romaji as kefuka, so that means Kefka is a better romanization than Cefca unless you're pronouncing the C as a K sound.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #208652
Posted: 1st May 2015 00:37

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (ElPanachino @ 30th April 2015 17:11)
Quote (Ker @ 24th April 2015 19:48)

ケフカ is written in romaji as kefuka, so that means Kefka is a better romanization than Cefca unless you're pronouncing the C as a K sound.

Yes, I realize that. Although "Kefka" is a better romanization of "Kefuka", "Cefca" is also considered correct (by my friend's Japanese teacher, anyway.)

--------------------

Post #208658
Posted: 1st May 2015 00:43

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Ker @ 30th April 2015 20:37)
Yes, I realize that. Although "Kefka" is a better romanization of "Kefuka", "Cefca" is also considered correct (by my friend's Japanese teacher, anyway.)

Cefca only makes sense to me as an English translation if the katakana reads "セフカ" (sefuka). K is still best.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #208660
Posted: 1st May 2015 01:48

Behemoth

Awards:
I can't speak Japanese... so I've learned that thanks to this topic!

#ThanksEagleCaller

--------------------
Post #208661
Posted: 1st May 2015 03:36

Black Mage

Awards:
Is there actually a topic here, or is this something totally random?

Personally, I like Mary Ann. Yes, Ginger has red hair and really good legs, but Mary Ann is so sweet and friendly. I think I'm going to have to go for Mary Ann in this case.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #208662
Posted: 1st May 2015 13:45

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (chevleclair @ 30th April 2015 23:36)
Is there actually a topic here, or is this something  totally random?

Personally, I like Mary Ann. Yes, Ginger has red hair and really good legs, but Mary Ann is so sweet and friendly. I think I'm going to have to go for Mary Ann in this case.

Well, there is and there isn't. It's a topic where you can say random things that don't make sense... It's CoN's version of Wonderland!

And not to go off-topic, blink.gif , but Mary Ann is obviously the right answer. Ginger was trying to hard to be sexy, with the voice and all that jazz.

I'd also like to point out that that is the very first time ever that I've hashtagged anything.

Sincerely though, I hope this guy is a bot, and we haven't hurt his feelings.

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 1st May 2015 13:58

--------------------
Post #208664
Posted: 1st May 2015 16:23

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
There is a topic here, and my posts have been in an effort to make the guy say what he really means, because I feel that I've pieced it together well enough but I don't have much interest in justifying it with an actual response without him being very clear about what I think he's trying to suggest.

If it's a bot, it's close enough to passing Turing that there's zero reason why someone would deploy it at CoN. There's no money in that. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #208666
Posted: 1st May 2015 18:45

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 1st May 2015 12:23)
There is a topic here, and my posts have been in an effort to make the guy say what he really means, because I feel that I've pieced it together well enough but I don't have much interest in justifying it with an actual response without him being very clear about what I think he's trying to suggest.

If it's a bot, it's close enough to passing Turing that there's zero reason why someone would deploy it at CoN. There's no money in that. smile.gif

I suppose Rangers has the power to move all the irrelevant posts on this thread to their own topics, but would that be ironic given the implications of the OP?

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #208667
Posted: 1st May 2015 22:24

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (ElPanachino @ 1st May 2015 14:45)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 1st May 2015 12:23)

I suppose Rangers has the power to move all the irrelevant posts on this thread to their own topics, but would that be ironic given the implications of the OP?

Other than the pronunciation issue, I think everything is too irrelevant.

Now I think about it, though, I think Ranger's correct. The OP is oddly worded, but it does have a point, which I think would have been interesting to delve into...

And, when you think about it, Eagle Caller's point is sort of playing itself out here. What power does he have over us, and our choices to use his words?

--------------------
Post #208669
Posted: 13th June 2015 18:20

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
As an on-topic response:

As someone who's actually helped run a (small) forum before, I have indeed run into people who are, like, totally paranoid about the top-down moderation structure of a forum, and various other things vaguely related to it. This seems usually due to some combination of factors, including anything from being relatively young and inexperienced with the internet, having dealt with jerk mods/admins in other communities, or even psychological issues.

In short, people may seem weird, and it's not always possible to figure out why they're weird the way they are.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th June 2015 18:42

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209123
Posted: 18th June 2015 05:09

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 13th June 2015 18:20)
As an on-topic response:

As someone who's actually helped run a (small) forum before, I have indeed run into people who are, like, totally paranoid about the top-down moderation structure of a forum, and various other things vaguely related to it.  This seems usually due to some combination of factors, including anything from being relatively young and inexperienced with the internet, having dealt with jerk mods/admins in other communities, or even psychological issues.

In short, people may seem weird, and it's not always possible to figure out why they're weird the way they are.

I can understand that mentality, I've come across a few forums where administrators / moderators go a bit mad with the delete button, often for the wrong reasons. And it's going to be very upsetting to some when they've spent hours writing posts only to see them deleted at the press of a button. And I've heard some sad stories over the years. One forum I frequent, an admin went a bit mad and tried to delete everything. But it's always been a matter of deleting, I've yet to see a situation where power is abused to such an extent, that a moderator changes much of the text from a person's post, so that the message conveyed is then entirely different. That would be on a whole other level.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #209159
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: