CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Was is not news Final Fantasy VI is being remade?

Posted: 9th October 2013 23:45

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Glorious day for iPhone users!

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #204978
Posted: 10th October 2013 00:05

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
They didn't say that they were "re-making" it, the only details I've seen is that it's going to be on android and iPhone, anyone have any more info on this?

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #204979
Posted: 10th October 2013 00:17

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Chewbekah @ 9th October 2013 19:05)
They didn't say that they were "re-making" it, the only details I've seen is that it's going to be on android and iPhone, anyone have any more info on this?

kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-is-coming-to-ios-and-android-vii-coul-1443087791

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #204980
Posted: 10th October 2013 00:44

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
So, a few things on this topic, posted solely because of the snarky nature of this topic title:

1. Yes, of course it's news. Of course, we also allow people to post news on our behalf - it would even show up on the front page of the site. Wouldn't have even been much harder than posting this topic.
  2. I knew, when I first saw this news this morning, "someone will complain by the end of the day that I didn't post this, because I'm taking a day where I'm not in front of a computer."
  3. Was it not a Final Fantasy VI topic that was posted in General Topics? Don't worry, I'll hop right on moving it for you.

That said, I wouldn't really consider this a remake any more than I would Final Fantasy V was for mobile phones, or Final Fantasy IV was for PSP. It's different design language and some new visual stuff, and some tweaks to the mechanics. That's just my opinion, but this doesn't come anywhere close to what I'd call a remake.

I'm sure I'll have other thoughts on it when I'm able to actually sit down and write a newspost.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #204981
Posted: 10th October 2013 01:25

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 9th October 2013 19:44)
So, a few things on this topic, posted solely because of the snarky nature of this topic title:

1. Yes, of course it's news. Of course, we also allow people to post news on our behalf - it would even show up on the front page of the site. Wouldn't have even been much harder than posting this topic.
  2. I knew, when I first saw this news this morning, "someone will complain by the end of the day that I didn't post this, because I'm taking a day where I'm not in front of a computer."
  3. Was it not a Final Fantasy VI topic that was posted in General Topics? Don't worry, I'll hop right on moving it for you.

That said, I wouldn't really consider this a remake any more than I would Final Fantasy V was for mobile phones, or Final Fantasy IV was for PSP. It's different design language and some new visual stuff, and some tweaks to the mechanics. That's just my opinion, but this doesn't come anywhere close to what I'd call a remake.

I'm sure I'll have other thoughts on it when I'm able to actually sit down and write a newspost.

Rangers no one is complaining I am freaking out with excitement this is glorious news we should all be celebrating! I need a drink

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #204983
Posted: 10th October 2013 07:58
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Well he's old, which makes him sensitive.

--------------------
Post #204986
Posted: 10th October 2013 17:10

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Narratorway @ 10th October 2013 02:58)

Lol your right. I was in my preteens when he was in his teens back at the AOL Final Fantasy III board.

Which reminds me my sig is literally over ten years old.

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #204990
Posted: 10th October 2013 20:41

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Narratorway @ 10th October 2013 07:58)

I appreciate you and all the work you put into this site R51! flag-olly.gif If I didn't see notices like this here then I wouldn't see them anywhere.

Certainly news to me, something to get excited about too as I recently became the owner of an android. (Phone that is... Android phone).
Post #204993
Posted: 10th October 2013 20:49

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
A couple of things about this announcement give me pause. The first is this:

The graphics, he said, will be refined for cellphones. They'll still be 2D but sharpened, a la the recent mobile release of V

From what I've seen of the FF5 mobile release, the "updated" graphics are awful. The sprites look cruder than their Super Famicon counterparts, and the animation is choppy.

The second thing is this:

The battle systems have been altered for the other [mobile remakes] for Final Fantasy and VI will be the same. For instance grinding was an issue and people had to spend a lot of time leveling up. Now on the mobile devices the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is.

Really, as much as I love FF6, it's not a particularly challenging game. That they think "grinding was an issue" makes me worry they're going to dumb it down.

The thing I like about the FF4 remake for Android/iOS is that they actually made the game HARDER! Some of the boss fights are completely different. I just got my butt kicked a few times by Dr. Lugae before I finally figured out the trick, and beat him with just Cecil left standing.

My initial reaction to the FF6 remake announcement is this:

user posted image

But I'll reserve my final judgment until we have further developments. smile.gif

This post has been edited by MetroidMorphBall on 10th October 2013 20:50
Post #204995
Posted: 11th October 2013 00:55

Black Mage

Awards:
Why does Square-Enix always make the iPhone/iPad version first and then take another 6-18 months for the Droid?

I'd assume that Droid users are more likely to appreciate an old FF game than iProducts users.
Post #205006
Posted: 11th October 2013 03:20
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
In the interest of having a post in here I can claim's actually on-topic, how is this a remake and not a port.

Cause it doesn't sound like a remake...

It sounds like a port.

--------------------
Post #205009
Posted: 11th October 2013 04:17

Black Mage

Awards:
I think a port would be a direct copy of an older version of the game (GBA most likely)

This would be a remake still. I imagine it will be like FFIV DS for graphics.
Post #205010
Posted: 11th October 2013 04:33

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Electricbassguy @ 10th October 2013 17:55)
Why does Square-Enix always make the iPhone/iPad version first and then take another 6-18 months for the Droid?

I'd assume that Droid users are more likely to appreciate an old FF game than iProducts users.

That's a pretty baseless assumption to make.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Post #205014
Posted: 11th October 2013 12:00

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Electricbassguy @ 10th October 2013 23:17)
I think a port would be a direct copy of an older version of the game (GBA most likely)

This would be a remake still. I imagine it will be like FFIV DS for graphics.

I don't think we will get that lucky sadly.... sad.gif

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #205021
Posted: 11th October 2013 12:48

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Wasn't ff6 going to be made for 3ds?

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #205022
Posted: 11th October 2013 19:15

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (His Shadow @ 11th October 2013 04:00)
Quote (Electricbassguy @ 10th October 2013 23:17)
I imagine it will be like FFIV DS for graphics.

I don't think we will get that lucky sadly.... sad.gif

I don't either. The announcement says they plan to update the graphics "ala" FF5, which means it will still be 2D. They also said that it will be out by winter, and I can't imagine they could do a full 3D revamp by then unless it had been secretly in development for quite some time.

In short, it's likely to be much closer to the original but with some updated 2D graphics, and won't come close to the full on 3DS remakes you saw for FF3 and FF4.
Post #205029
Posted: 12th October 2013 15:29

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Please for the love of all things sacrosanct please do not update the graphics like they did to 2 and 3 those graphics annoy me

--------------------
PSN : everum89
Before your mother, before your god, you will call for me, for I am your medic, and I will always come for you!
Post #205042
Posted: 12th October 2013 17:55

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
What's the bloody difference between these iphones and androids you all speak of?

I could never make hide nor hair of touch screen devices. It's like I'm pressing the button and nothing is happening. I know when I've pressed a button on a keyboard, by gum!

I'm afraid this is all too far beyond me. I enjoy tactile input, it gives me a sense of peace to feel the weight of the keys under my fingertips. Clickety-clacking away, my favorite hobby of all time.

I never really got into painting much, as it was my mother's profession, and I was poor at it, and was afraid to let her teach me, for she was and still is a most formidable woman.

And since when are flowers made out of silk?

Still, I just clickety-clack away, writing about my hobbies and my family and my failings and my fears, and the times I was terrified to say anything.

Once I blindfolded myself to try playing piano without looking at the keys. It worked.

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 12th October 2013 17:56

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #205043
Posted: 12th October 2013 20:54

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (Spooniest @ 12th October 2013 10:55)
What's the bloody difference between these iphones and androids you all speak of?

I could never make hide nor hair of touch screen devices. It's like I'm pressing the button and nothing is happening. I know when I've pressed a button on a keyboard, by gum!

I'm afraid this is all too far beyond me. I enjoy tactile input, it gives me a sense of peace to feel the weight of the keys under my fingertips. Clickety-clacking away, my favorite hobby of all time.

I never really got into painting much, as it was my mother's profession, and I was poor at it, and was afraid to let her teach me, for she was and still is a most formidable woman.

And since when are flowers made out of silk?

Still, I just clickety-clack away, writing about my hobbies and my family and my failings and my fears, and the times I was terrified to say anything.

Once I blindfolded myself to try playing piano without looking at the keys. It worked.

There really isn't that much of a difference between the smart phones, I would have gone either way but no Android people wanted to give me the over iPhone superiorities that they might feel so I went with the iPhone and I"m happy with it. I just think it's ridiculous how someone might think the phone someone has is an indicator of what kind of games they are or are not popular is ridiculous, it's completely unrelated.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #205045
Posted: 15th October 2013 13:06

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Narratorway @ 11th October 2013 16:20)
In the interest of having a post in here I can claim's actually on-topic, how is this a remake and not a port.

Cause it doesn't sound like a remake...

It sounds like a port.

This

A 3DS remake or Vita remake would of been really awesome.

But lol nope

Cellphonez.

dry.gif

--------------------
Top Three fave Final Fantasies Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V [ GBA ]
Post #205094
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: