CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
beating castlevania 1

Posted: 10th September 2011 13:26

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Hi guys,i'm almost done with castlevania 1.

Do you consider using savestate at the beginning of a level just to save at the start cheating? In the old days,you had to beat the game either in 1 sitting or leave the console on and beat it supposedly.

I don't use savestates on the bosses,because that cheapens it,but i beat the entire game without really savestating in between levels,because that cheapens it.

I was jumping with joy today to finally beat death,because i think that has to be one of the most frustrating bosses i have ever beaten.

I just beat castlevania fair and square without savestates in between levels.

I beat dracula with holy water and double shot.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 10th September 2011 15:15

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197283
Posted: 10th September 2011 16:38

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Congratulations!

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #197293
Posted: 10th September 2011 18:33

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Yes, back in the day it was a one shot deal because the NES didn't have true save capabilities for most games.

...but, how did you beat Dracula using holy water huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif ? You must have had some great aim because
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
the only vulnerable part is his head.
. I beat him using the boomerang w/ trips.

I also agree that Death was a pretty frustrating boss. One time, I had beat him and I had three bars of health left. I was on one of the upper platforms and jumped for the orb. I didn't see that there was a scythe still flying around and landed on it, dying right in front if the orb. I was so pissed, I couldn't play Castlevania for a month.

This post has been edited by ramza_beoulve on 10th September 2011 18:43

--------------------
A hero is somone who steps up when everyone else backs down.

Your greatest adversary hides inside your mirror.
Post #197296
Posted: 10th September 2011 19:02

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Throwing it at his feet in form 2 causes harm to dracula,its just that it takes 10 hits with a whip to notice the damage to him.

If you throw a holy water at him while he is standing on the floor rather than up in the air,it will paralize him and then all you have to do is spam the holy water on his second form.

Form 1 is easy,what i do,is i walk back and forth so i can sidestep quickly to avoid him appearing on top of me and therefor:recieving damage.

After that,i stand still for a few seconds waiting for him to open his cloak and ready to use his fireball attacks.If i jump in the air at that time,there is a good chance that he will throw it in the air and harm me,but if i wait,then i have a better chance of overall dodging his attacks.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197297
Posted: 11th September 2011 02:43
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th September 2011 13:26)

Do you consider using savestate at the beginning of a level just to save at the start cheating?

I consider it cheating, but it doesn't matter as much with Castlevania since you can continue as many times as you want. I would do it like you did, and avoid save states. You won't be able to use them if you play for real.

Also, good job beating a classic game! The secret to beating Death is to be up in his face with the Holy Water. If you attack quickly and don't let him reach his stride, you can end the battle in a few seconds without taking damage.
Post #197305
Posted: 11th September 2011 10:35

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (jtdurai @ 11th September 2011 02:43)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th September 2011 13:26)

Do you consider using savestate at the beginning of a level just to save at the start cheating?

I consider it cheating, but it doesn't matter as much with Castlevania since you can continue as many times as you want. I would do it like you did, and avoid save states. You won't be able to use them if you play for real.

Also, good job beating a classic game! The secret to beating Death is to be up in his face with the Holy Water. If you attack quickly and don't let him reach his stride, you can end the battle in a few seconds without taking damage.

Yeah but:I only did it at the start of each level so i can rest and not spoil the entire level and bosses.

As for death thing:I would get into the corner and start throwing holy water and sometimes,he likes to spawn a scythe on top of me causing a push back effect and then he jumps into the other corner and its all over.

And:1 lesson i learned about castlevania,is that holy water can be really cheap depending on what you use it for.

On dracula's second form,it seems to be so cheap with triple or double shot.I would start spamming holy water and he would be dead before he could do anything because he gets stunned.Also:holy water seems to cancel out axe knight's axes.I learned this from watching a lets play of the game and mimicked the guy to get better results.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197309
Posted: 11th September 2011 17:45

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Congrats Magitek, I'm currently slogging my way through the very same game and I'm impressed.
I nearly put my controller through the damn TV trying to beat Frankenstein's Monster (gothic crossover what??).. not forgetting his little gargoyle buddy. Having to go back to the beginning of that very hard chapter every continue is a real kick in the teeth. I'm using save states to restart as if i'd just used a continue, so its not that cheap.

What is cheap is that I eventually beat the creature by spamming him with holy water...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #197322
Posted: 11th September 2011 18:37

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 11th September 2011 17:45)
Congrats Magitek, I'm currently slogging my way through the very same game and I'm impressed.
I nearly put my controller through the damn TV trying to beat Frankenstein's Monster (gothic crossover what??).. not forgetting his little gargoyle buddy. Having to go back to the beginning of that very hard chapter every continue is a real kick in the teeth. I'm using save states to restart as if i'd just used a continue, so its not that cheap.

What is cheap is that I eventually beat the creature by spamming him with holy water...

The worse part comes later when you have those stupid medusa heads flying around and then barely make it through only to have 2 or 3 bars of life left and get 1 hit killed by death.

It takes practice to get through without being hit once,and i guarantee that you won't always get a perfect run through it.

If you get double shot and full life to grim reaper,then you'l do quite well with either the boomerang and holy water.The grim reaper in castlevania 1 makes cv2 and even cv4 grim reaper look like a joke.

Oh yeah:Remember this,when you get to the second of the last rooms before frankenstein,hit the flea men before they hit the ground,or you are in big trouble.Once the flea men hit the ground,they become far more problematic with their hard to hit jumps and running around.Also:The first skeleton snake or whatever that monster that shoots fire with a snake like body in the big hall before frankenstein boss at the end,guards a block with a hidden roast.The torch right before frankenstein contains a hidden heart.

Also:If you are bringing the holy water,do not hit the second torch right upon entering the hall before frankenstein,because it contains a knife or something.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197323
Posted: 19th September 2011 09:32

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Sound, sound advice man, having played through the chapter so many times I can say every detail of yours is correct happy.gif
And yes, at the moment I'm getting my ass handed to me in the corridor before Death, so he just finishes me off after my tough life, how fitting.

Also, I had another stab at getting to death from the beginning without using a save state, and managed to beat Frankenstein's creature with just the sword!

I was like this

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #197464
Posted: 19th September 2011 10:31

Crusader

Awards:
That must have been quite hard.

I finally beat the stupid frankenstein with my whip in the end.
I happened to avoid the hit from igor the stupid fleaman who throws fireballs in an odd pattern that makes it hard to dodge.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197466
Posted: 19th September 2011 17:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Everything is hard to dodge in that game because your character moves so stiffly.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #197469
Posted: 20th September 2011 11:56

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 19th September 2011 17:04)
Everything is hard to dodge in that game because your character moves so stiffly.

It also has to do with the randomness of some attacks.

Skeletons who throw bones can be very random.

The pattern of igor can be random in the direction he throws a fireball,and in all directions.

The skeletal dragon things have a pattern,but sometimes they can follow the pattern more than once,like:Throwing 3 shots instead of just 1.

I believe also:part of the problem,is that in the later areas,enemies do too much damage and take too many hits.

Those skeletal things should take 3 or 4 hits max.
I also believe that either:regular enemies shouldn't normally take off more than 1 bar of health,or have more roasts.

The game is of course,still a really good game,better than that piece of junk known as:castlevania64.

I actually prefer the 2d versions of castlevania.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #197491
Posted: 9th October 2011 11:08

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 20th September 2011 11:56)
I actually prefer the 2d versions of castlevania.

Most people do apparently

I left the game for a couple of weeks but this morning I managed to beat Death using the holy water trick, then felt cheap so I loaded from the beginning of the previous chapter and played through it again. Eventually I managed to take no damage in the ridiculous corridor before him and beat him using the cross/boomerang. =D

now that was satisfying.

then I got the stuffing kicked out of me by the gargoyles/hunchbacks in the next chapter, haven't reached Dracula yet ¬_¬

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #197746
Posted: 12th January 2012 10:24

Awards:
Please forgive the double post.
I've been away from video games for almost two months but yesterday I...

I...
Beat Castlevania biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #198986
Posted: 12th January 2012 13:07

Crusader

Awards:
Gratz on winning,very very nice job.

Its a very hard game,so it proves you are skilled.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 12th January 2012 13:15

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198987
Posted: 17th September 2012 02:04

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I often here people IRL complain about the diffculty of games today, which makes me laugh because if they had played some the orginal NES classics, they would DIE. I could never beat castlevania 1, but could beat ninja gaiden. albiet with 28 savestate reloads on the second form of the end boss.

but congrats for beating castlevania

--------------------
The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my Wings to keep me tame...
Post #201027
Posted: 17th September 2012 03:06

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (omnislash5209 @ 16th September 2012 21:04)
I often here people IRL complain about the diffculty of games today, which makes me laugh because if they had played some the orginal NES classics, they would DIE. I could never beat castlevania 1, but could beat ninja gaiden. albiet with 28 savestate reloads on the second form of the end boss.

but congrats for beating castlevania

What, like modern games are difficult?

Um...not really. For the most part, the more modern a game is, the easier it seems to be. There are exceptions, of course, and it's nice finding out what those are.

Good to see other Castlevania (and Hellsing) fans other than myself here. Personally, I tend to prefer the Metroidvanias, but that might be sheer familiarity with the concept talking. After all, the game that introduced me to the series was Circle of the Moon on GBA.

Also, Lords of Shadow was...not that great, I think. The music was too dull (which is essentially a crime when it comes to Castlevania), the platforming was glitchy, things that SHOULD'VE worked a certain way DIDN'T (such as the spike whip upgrade NOT increasing damage done to enemies).....but that's my opinion. I just hope the sequels are better.

Also, in response to the root of this posting tree--kudos! CVI is notoriously hard....but you knew that already.

This post has been edited by dekupride on 17th September 2012 03:07

--------------------
HSUP B TCELES
Post #201028
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: