CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
It's just- not there..

Posted: 24th October 2009 02:42

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Brought FF I a few months ago on the PlayStation and really enjoyed the games opening and didn't mind the aged graphics and have had heaps of fun fighting monsters and enjoyed listening to the battle theme..

But don't know. Everything seems great but everytime level up a little bit to defeat the first boss Garland and watch the opening credits but- yeah everytime after the opening introduction is done- always end up closing down the console and not care too much about it..

It's weird and believe that should be really badly into FF I right about now..
But something is missing that is stopping from continuing further into it..
Have read Fan reviews on this game and FF Fans new and old love this game.
So don't know what is secretly putting me off from continuing further..

Is it because there is no proper storyline- ?- No Flashy FMVs- ? No Betrayal of Friends ?- No epic romance- ??

Can't be because FF3 is kinda the same... and have been enjoying the game like a addiction..

So- What's wrong.. ??

sad.gif

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #182010
Posted: 24th October 2009 08:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I do that all the time, I start a game and then just screw it, don't play it at all.
It could be that you're playing it on a PS. I dont know, I tried playing it on there and I guess I'm too impatient so I just played on a GBA emulator. Managed to get through it fine.
Its an excellent game, so I hope you can get into it =)

--------------------
*Sigh*....Times are tough
Post #182013
Posted: 1st November 2009 01:36

Black Mage

Awards:
I would also like to know.

I actually forced myself to finish this game, that didn't even happened with FFII, which most people hate.

It can't be because the game is old because I still enjoy titles from the NES era. And besides I played the Advance remake, maybe that's the reason? I can't appreciate it because it is not in it's original format?

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #182154
Posted: 2nd November 2009 02:05

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Maybe, just maybe, Final Fantasy the first isn't the game that the rest of the series promises? It's sort of stupid, there is (as you have noticed) no exposition, no engaging plot outside of the intro, and I believe, the lengthy end scene after defeating the last boss. I think you have to treat the game like a treasure hunt, which means for the entire length, you have to bring the desire to complete it forward:

Make a checklist, look at it and realize that conceptually it's awesome, even if the inside the game it's a little bland and underdone.

Defeat the Bad Guy in the first half an hour, rescue Princess
Start exploring a new world with a stolen pirate ship.
Explore some caves filled with danger and reward...
Later, meet the King of Dragons, Bahamut, he's awesome and then you grow up.
??? Beat the Game?

and so on, and so on.

Umm, originally the manual and the included map provided some direction and meaningful knowledge but now in 2010, you have all the advantage of the internet and umm, nostalgia.

Or you could play FFII, which is pretty rad and has characters with personalities, motivations and thus is the first dramatic Final Fantasy.

P.S. My girlfriend describes FFI as for people who like grinding. Pretty succinct.
Post #182168
Posted: 2nd November 2009 19:23

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Atma Weapon @ 1st November 2009 22:05)
Maybe, just maybe, Final Fantasy the first isn't the game that the rest of the series promises? It's sort of stupid

1) It did not have the strong company behind it that the others. It was a fledgling company on its last project that got lucky. The other ones have have strong financial backing.

2) The technology wasn't there. It's like comparing the Legend of Zelda NES version, to Ocarina of Time. There's got to be some perspective.

3) The games that followed had the games that came before it to look at and refine.

So, it's not stupid. It is not as good, but it started it all.

--------------------
Post #182175
Posted: 3rd November 2009 07:06

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (BlitzSage @ 3rd November 2009 03:23)
Quote (Atma Weapon @ 1st November 2009 22:05)
Maybe, just maybe, Final Fantasy the first isn't the game that the rest of the series promises? It's sort of stupid

1) It did not have the strong company behind it that the others. It was a fledgling company on its last project that got lucky. The other ones have have strong financial backing.

2) The technology wasn't there. It's like comparing the Legend of Zelda NES version, to Ocarina of Time. There's got to be some perspective.

3) The games that followed had the games that came before it to look at and refine.

So, it's not stupid. It is not as good, but it started it all.

Everything you said is true, but I think 'point' 3 is what's most interesting about this situation. Would you care to instead talk about the game itself rather than its production? Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III were made by similar teams on similar hardware, but they are rather quite different apart from each other.

Final Fantasy One lacks a story even though it's very heavily plotted in a medieval dungeons and dragons-esque setting. I'd brag about having beaten it, but I haven't on the original NES- that game is brutally hard, if you're playing that version, it's certainly what a lot of people would call un-fun. Now I do play, and often enough, Super Mario Bros., and successfully beat it, even though the third in the series is like, one of the best games ever made. And it has everything to do with content and intent than rather just with money and technology. (Although I guess one could make a point about Nintendo's memory mappers becoming more sophisticated over the years)

I don't want to try to make it sound like FF1 is a failure by any means, but without overindulging my imagination, something like party chat implemented through-out the game, more representation of change in the fictional world as you complete objectives (in the game text at least if not elsewhere), would give technically the same experience but aesthetically a lot closer to what you get with the later FFs. And Sakaguchi was obviously thinking very heavily of these issues because FFII is already like a latter FF game- characters have names, relationships, the party is split up, the arrival of the party at the destination frequently results in a turn of events not previously foreseen, un-interactive battles for the purpose of plot, etc.

The best reason to play FF the first is to a play a long adventure, having picked your and named your party from scratch, and imagine that quite simply, you have been the righter of the world's entire wrongs. Holy shit getting the airship is still, almost always worth the effort, no matter the series or the trial.

Also, BlitzSage: it's not fair to cut someone's sentence in half when replying in your deliberate point/counterpoint style. I shouldn't have to tell you why that's a bad idea.
Post #182178
Posted: 6th November 2009 13:13
Returner

I preferred ff1 to ff2 , ff2's leveling up system was ridiculously suckage it SUCKED, also the dungeons were full of meaningless traps like doors that lead to rooms full of monster encounters on every step with difficult monsters and the game is ridiculously hard or easy. For example I died 10 minutes into the game because I walked on "the wrong area" I walked on some murky grass and bumped into some high lvl monsters which raped my entire party straight away. Getting to Fynn is just about luck that you don't encounter the high lvl monsters. Leveling up your weapons/stats/magic is a chore. The only redeeming quality of ff2 is it's cool storyline. ff1 was superior IMO
Post #182227
Posted: 10th November 2009 00:23

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Perhaps the best reason to play FF1 is to gain an appreciation for what you have now, versus what we had in the beginning. Especially when one plays it the "real way"(nes), it really shows how dedicated the rpg'ers were back in the day. Me personally, I cannot stand playing gba or psx versions of the game. They murder it for me.

GXSZPKSV + GXSXZKSV and the damn game still took forever smile.gif Ahhh the good ol days

--------------------
think you're a true rp dork - try it live action shifted lands
Post #182275
Posted: 24th July 2013 23:42

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
My big brother did the same thing, but I just love it. In Isaac's words, "It's pretty boring unless you like earning experience." I think that is probably true, because Isaac can hardly sit still long enough to gain a level unless he feels he has to, but I could grind for hours. Anyway, it is likely that it is just not your type of game. If you do not feel like playing, then play something else! It is just a game, after all.
Post #203976
Posted: 1st October 2013 11:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
You've probably played a lot of games, read a lot of stories, and seen a lot of movies and tv, and heard a lot of music

Your heart is full of memories and knowledge, and those things bring tears, either of joy or sadness. But when you're depressed, the tears don't come out. I think you're depressed.

Take some time to sit and go back over the stories you heard as a child, alone. Eyes open (blink when they sting), breathe (your lungs don't always need to be fully filled or emptied), and relax (randomize your thoughts beforehand, chaos is a tool for this purpose, it's not always evil).

Your tears won't come out, and they need to come out.

Another piece of advice: when you go to play FF1 again, close your mind to the outside world. Don't allow yourself to assign symbolic significance to anything in the game, just lose yourself in it.

Hope that helps

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #204741
Posted: 1st October 2013 14:36

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Spooniest @ 1st October 2013 06:58)
You've probably played a lot of games, read a lot of stories, and seen a lot of movies and tv, and heard a lot of music

Your heart is full of memories and knowledge, and those things bring tears, either of joy or sadness. But when you're depressed, the tears don't come out. I think you're depressed.

Take some time to sit and go back over the stories you heard as a child, alone. Eyes open (blink when they sting), breathe (your lungs don't always need to be fully filled or emptied), and relax (randomize your thoughts beforehand, chaos is a tool for this purpose, it's not always evil).

Your tears won't come out, and they need to come out.

Another piece of advice: when you go to play FF1 again, close your mind to the outside world. Don't allow yourself to assign symbolic significance to anything in the game, just lose yourself in it.

Hope that helps

Okay...
Post #204746
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: