CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Warmech Unavoidable?

Posted: 7th May 2010 01:36
Returner

Hmm, this is about the walkthrough but perhaps this thread is close enough to the right place.
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff1/walkthrough.php?chapter=21
Says the warmech is a random encounter. This has not been my experience. I've fought him like 20 times: every single time I walk down that hallway.
Post #185461
Posted: 7th May 2010 01:39

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Well, I would have posted that in errors and troubleshooting, but Warmech is a random encounter.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #185462
Posted: 7th May 2010 16:58
Returner

Quote (Rangers51 @ 6th May 2010 17:39)
Well, I would have posted that in errors and troubleshooting, but Warmech is a random encounter.

Apparently I'm only looking at stuff <90days old by default so I didn't even see any of the other posts. Sorry 'bout that.

In what version or what crack-addled fantasyland is there any chance that you will not encounter warmech? I've done it many, many times (and had the joy of having everyone who isn't fighter killed in the first round on most of those occasions). I defy you to post a video of skipping warmech and going straight to Tiamat in the original NES version.
Post #185469
Posted: 7th May 2010 17:39
Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
No video, but I NEVER fought Warmech in FFI on the NES, and I played through that thing at least 5 times back in the day.

This discussion makes me want to fire it up again, with the sole purpose of fighting him. smile.gif
Post #185471
Posted: 7th May 2010 17:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Here's a video. No Warmech. Though, if you insisted on further proof, I'm not sure a video will prove it to you either, but I guess there's not much else I can do for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJDlyxj7JG8

Might add it to the FAQ anyway, as a "I heard Warmech isn't optional?" thing.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 7th May 2010 17:59

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #185472
Posted: 7th May 2010 19:22
Returner

I have been defied... thanks for making me look like a dumbass xD

I've fought warmech like 20 times (wee statesave!)... am I just the unluckiest person in the whole world or is there some other explanation?

I'm gonna play again and try to get a video of it this time so you can all see the TRUTH. I'M NOT CRAZY! WARMECH IS INEVITABLE!
Post #185474
Posted: 7th May 2010 19:27

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Flasher702 @ 7th May 2010 14:22)
I have been defied... thanks for making me look like a dumbass xD

I've fought warmech like 20 times (wee statesave!)... am I just the unluckiest person in the whole world or is there some other explanation?

I'm gonna play again and try to get a video of it this time so you can all see the TRUTH. I'M NOT CRAZY! WARMECH IS INEVITABLE!

If you save state, I believe that it's already been predetermined whether you're going to fight him or not. Don't quote me on that, I don't know the internal mechanism that predicts it. However, I do know that in most cases in most games, if a switch for a "random" event has been thrown, it's going to end up being saved in the state.

Think I'll fork this off to a new topic now.

--------------------

Post #185475
Posted: 7th May 2010 19:39

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
I agree with Josh here. I am unsure how the random number generator works in NES games (if menu navigation changes it, etc), but if you save state directly in front of the bridge, hold up on the dpad, and fight Warmech, then if you reload the save and hold up again, you'll fight Warmech again. If you go down a floor and fight a battle, or open up your menu and play around in there for a little bit, it could potentially change things for you.

That being said, back when I played this on the NES obsessively, I fought there for like 20 minutes before I finally fought Warmech. Ever since that battle, I have fought him every time I try crossing the bridge. o.O I definitely can relate to having a string of bad luck, but he is for sure a random encounter. Sometimes the game just likes toying with us. ^_^

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #185476
Posted: 7th May 2010 20:37

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Caesar @ 7th May 2010 19:39)
I agree with Josh here. I am unsure how the random number generator works in NES games (if menu navigation changes it, etc), but if you save state directly in front of the bridge, hold up on the dpad, and fight Warmech, then if you reload the save and hold up again, you'll fight Warmech again. If you go down a floor and fight a battle, or open up your menu and play around in there for a little bit, it could potentially change things for you.

That being said, back when I played this on the NES obsessively, I fought there for like 20 minutes before I finally fought Warmech. Ever since that battle, I have fought him every time I try crossing the bridge. o.O I definitely can relate to having a string of bad luck, but he is for sure a random encounter. Sometimes the game just likes toying with us. happy.gif

Lucky you

Every time i pass there i end up over leveled.

Maybe its just my luck.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185478
Posted: 7th May 2010 21:12

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, it seems to me like the RNG determines the next battle you'll fight ahead of time, especially in older NES games. If you save state in FFI, you'll fight the same battle every time, and I believe you'll even get into a fight after the same number of steps every time. If you want to avoid Warmech, go down a floor and get into a battle, that should reset the RNG.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #185481
Posted: 8th May 2010 21:30

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Alternatively, just get into a battle somewhere other than thre bridge, then cross the bridge. Since, with savestates, you have the advantage of foresight as to when the random battles will happen.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #185492
Posted: 10th May 2010 19:19
Returner

Quote (Caesar @ 7th May 2010 11:39)

That seems plausible.
Post #185529
Posted: 3rd June 2010 17:38

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
There's an excellent FAQ on GameFAQS that explains all the encounter mechanics, but let me sort of make it clear the best I can.

There are 8 different enemy "groups" (formations) for each map/area. These are assigned to a list that goes from 1-64. However, the #1 formation is the most common, showing up the most times in that list, where the #8 formation (in this case, Warmech) shows up once.

Now, when you turn on the power, the game picks (seemingly at random) a place on the list of 64 to start, and then progresses linearly through it. Therefore, if you know where you are in the list, you know if/when you will encounter X formation.

I forget exactly what forces the game to pick a new starting point, but I know that turning the power off (most emulators have this option) is one surefire way.
Post #185902
Posted: 15th April 2011 18:11
Returner

Back in the early nineties I was playing this game non-stop and I remember only facing Warmech about 1 in 5 bridge crossings. On Origins and DoS I don't think I've fought him once. Sucks for my bestiary.

Side note: On NES I remember fighting T-rex about 2 times, maybe just once. WHY CAN'T I GET THOSE RARE BATTLES ON REMAKES?! cry.gif
Post #194201
Posted: 17th April 2011 00:57

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Come to think of it, I think I've heard that there's a certain portion of that area where Warmech is more common than usual. Is this true, or am I confusing it with a powerful enemy in another RPG?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #194215
Posted: 31st July 2011 21:51

Cactuar

Awards:
Really? I've only fought Warmech once out of my 5 playthroughs, and it was because of intense searching for the stupid thing so I could get it in my bestiary.
Post #196428
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: