CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Unpopular gaming opinions that you have

Posted: 26th August 2015 15:00

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (chevleclair @ 25th August 2015 21:12)
I'm sorry that this might upset people who think that reading takes too much effort, but voice acting also isn't necessary to make a game good, either.

I am often ambivalent on voice acting because I can come up with voices for the characters just fine and adding voices to them often conflicts with the voices my head already has for them.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209519
Posted: 28th August 2015 23:29

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 21st October 2010 04:24)

I think ff7 is the most overrated game ever made and cloud and sephiroth the worse hero/villain combo.

They are badly developed and get way too much credit when there are far better

I'd have to disagree with you on that, because I'm not hipster enough to deny liking FFVII.
Cloud isn't as developed as he could be, I'll grant you that. He's not my favorite FF protagonist by far, but he's not terrible like say... Vaan or Lightning.
I always thought Cloud's way of dealing with the trauma he endured was unique and memorable. He might be depressed, sometimes outrageously so, but I still feel that he's a decent character.

Sephiroth is a very well developed villain in my mind; he was shown to have redeeming qualities, and we actually got to see him before he went mad- and he's a bit on the socially awkward side. After learning he was a monster, his way of handling it was to go on a genocidal rampage. And he's especially stubborn.

My own unpopular opinions?
Tidus is my favorite FF protagonist. Everyone complains about his "Listen to my story" line, with "It's YUNA'S story!!!!", but you know what? Who's telling the story?
Tidus.
It's just as much his story as it is Yuna's. Believe it or not, he just so happens to be there. A lot of people complain about how whiny he is, but in my opinion that makes him more human, and believable, than the majority of FF protagonists.

I love Castlevania 64 to bits, despite it's flaws.

Kefka does not equal the Joker.
The Joker only wishes he was as cool as Kefka. tongue.gif

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #209523
Posted: 29th August 2015 00:34

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Ker @ 28th August 2015 18:29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 21st October 2010 04:24)

I think ff7 is the most overrated game ever made and cloud and sephiroth the worse hero/villain combo.

They are badly developed and get way too much credit when there are far better

My own unpopular opinions?
Tidus is my favorite FF protagonist. Everyone complains about his "Listen to my story" line, with "It's YUNA'S story!!!!", but you know what? Who's telling the story?
Tidus.
It's just as much his story as it is Yuna's. Believe it or not, he just so happens to be there. A lot of people complain about how whiny he is, but in my opinion that makes him more human, and believable, than the majority of FF protagonists.

Not gonna touch the FFVII stuff but good point about FFX. Tidus is telling the story, albeit, the game reaches the point which he has been telling the story from. Which is a unique perspective. Because until that point, it was mostly about Tidus but then really becomes a story about all of them. Jecht, Sin, Yuna, Auron, Yuna's father, Yeven, etc... I've said before, I think Tidus is one of the better developed characters in the series.

My unpopular opinion? I think Call of Duty sucks terribly. It is a military simulator, racist, and the researchers don't even know what language the "insurgents" are supposed to be actually speaking, according to geographical locations and the "enemies" that occupy their homeland and defend it against the terrorist American player. Seriously, they are all just Arabs to CoD's creators. You can look it up.

Also. I think Zelda sucks. The best Zelda game ever made is Shadow of the Colossus. The end.

--------------------
Post #209525
Posted: 1st September 2015 10:36

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
I'll start with the vapid and poorly defined and work my way up from there.

I hate that every main character in every RPG ever made uses a sword. I get it, it's your phallic stand in, I understand. How about some variety? How about a main character that uses an axe for a change?

I particularly dislike that for the majority of the 16 bit era and most of the 32 bit era (ah, the bit wars) I couldn't find more than a handful of games with a black character as a lead, let alone one that wasn't an over the top stereotype. I also hate that the few black characters that did exist in those days were often white washed (I'm looking squarely at you Breath Of Fire and Revelations: Persona).

The idea that a game is the "best of all time" is an inherently flawed one, and is simply hyperbole driven by fan boys or marketing executives.

The list of games I dislike that are uncommonly popular is as follows:

Chrono Trigger (The hero is a wooden dummy, the cast is a walking bag of tropes and the combat is 90% mash buttons, 5% combo techs, 5% enemy gravity attack spam. I hate this game. I played it to get it off the list and haven't touched it again in a decade.)

Final Fantasy 7 (Seriously, it needs like 8 spin offs to flesh out the characters and the plot, it's trash folks. I loved it when it came out, but I was also 12 when it came out. Know what else I loved at 12? Cheese Whiz and Funyuns. Decision making was not a strong point.)

Bioshock (I hate this game so much, it's just bad. Just...bad.)

The Mass Effect series ( see below)

The Baldur's Gate series (If I want D&D, I'll go play some D&D. I want a good game, not a tabletop simulator please.)

The Knights of the Old Republic series (Like most of the expanded universe, full of nonsense and fanservice.)

The Elder Scrolls series ( I barely liked Morrowind, I tolerated Oblivion, I hate Skyrim, the early ones were grasping and poorly written, CHIM is stupid, the cosmology is garbage.)

The Fallout Series (Mildly racist and afflicted with the Hero of Destiny illness that plagues the Elder Scrolls)

The Dragon Age series (Revisionist German history with a dash of Catholicism thrown in to distract you. Teutonic nonsense, and I am half German. Next time just make the Nibelungenlied and stop trying to get cute.)

The Kingdom Hearts series (Marketing ploy, plain and simple. The bad guy is literally one of the only black people in the entire game in the series lead. Typical racist bunk, polished with a veneer of nostalgia and poor gameplay.)

Most of the Megaman X series
(The first two are awesome, then it falls into the "hero of destiny, repeat ad infinitum trap)

The Street Fighter series (Stereotypical drivel)

The Tekken series (Incestuous stereotypical drivel)

Most of the Tales series (The great midriff plague of the mid 90's and 2000's. No depth anywhere, you can slap any character in any game and it will make sense, because they have been the same game since the first one.)

The vast majority of video games are terribly plotted, poorly written and poorly executed. Mass Effect is an example of a series that tends to get called out for good writing when it suffers from the same affliction as most space opera dramas do, Humanity F*ck Yeah

Humanity is always the shining bastion sitting atop the summit of awesome, while everything and everyone else stares wistfully up at them and hopes that one day senpai will notice them.

From Star Trek to Mass Effect, it is all the same bunk, and smack of an inherent insecurity while also managing to reinforce the center of the universe ideas that were propagated before folks figured out that the sun was the tether and we were the ball.

The vast majority of studio driven titles are cliched, over wrought, poorly executed titles designed mostly to keep the consumer locked into a spending pattern, or to protect a copyright so that no one else can come in and improve upon the ideas in the original.

Minecraft is garbage.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #209540
Posted: 1st September 2015 17:31

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I too long for the day when a fictional pseudo-human race based on certain human characteristics is portrayed as the superior race and we can stop being so obsessed with humanity. What makes humans so special? Why are they always singled out as the important and/or special ones? I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Video games are terrible and should not be played unless ironically. Never cared for them.

This post has been edited by Sherick on 1st September 2015 17:32

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #209541
Posted: 1st September 2015 20:35

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Nytecrawla @ 1st September 2015 05:36)

I hate that every main character in every RPG ever made uses a sword. I get it, it's your phallic stand in, I understand. How about some variety? How about a main character that uses an axe for a change?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=planescape+torment

eh?

--------------------
Post #209542
Posted: 2nd September 2015 07:34

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
An axe would still be phallic, methinks.

"Sometimes a buster sword is just a buster sword."

--Cid Jung

--------------------
Post #209548
Posted: 6th September 2015 06:25

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I don't like Kain. I think he's lustful and corrupt even apart from Golbez. I also noticed that Cecil says, "We need you powers as a Dragoon." He doesn't say anyhing about reconciling the friendship. I think that's a good decision. Forgiveness and reconciliation are two completely different things. Grudges are sinful and destructive, but no one ever said you had to be friends with everyone. Quite frankly I think if a guy's best friend has the hots for his fiancee then he has a perfectly good reason to terminate a friendship. Maintaining the alliance, on the other hand, was important for, like, saving the world and junk.
Post #209563
Posted: 6th September 2015 15:57

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 6th September 2015 06:25)
I don't like Kain. I think he's lustful and corrupt even apart from Golbez. I also noticed that Cecil says, "We need you powers as a Dragoon." He doesn't say anyhing about reconciling the friendship. I think that's a good decision. Forgiveness and reconciliation are two completely different things. Grudges are sinful and destructive, but no one ever said you had to be friends with everyone. Quite frankly I think if a guy's best friend has the hots for his fiancee then he has a perfectly good reason to terminate a friendship. Maintaining the alliance, on the other hand, was important for, like, saving the world and junk.

Kain Highwind has done his job as a heel. What makes him intriguing is the fact that he's acutely aware of his own flaws and is trying desperately to correct them.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #209564
Posted: 7th September 2015 00:28

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (chevleclair @ 6th September 2015 10:57)
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 6th September 2015 06:25)
I don't like Kain.  I think he's lustful and corrupt even apart from Golbez.  I also noticed that Cecil says, "We need you powers as a Dragoon."  He doesn't say anyhing about reconciling the friendship.  I think that's a good decision.  Forgiveness and reconciliation are two completely different things.  Grudges are sinful and destructive, but no one ever said you had to be friends with everyone.  Quite frankly I think if a guy's best friend has the hots for his fiancee then he has a perfectly good reason to terminate a friendship.  Maintaining the alliance, on the other hand, was important for, like, saving the world and junk.

Kain Highwind has done his job as a heel. What makes him intriguing is the fact that he's acutely aware of his own flaws and is trying desperately to correct them.

I'm inclined to agree with you; what I disagree with is the people who make him out to be somehow heroic. The fact is that he is all to blame for his own problems. He's an anti-hero; specifically a tragic hero, one who falls from a great height because of a tragic flaw. I get that he's "a person" or whatever crap, but his flaws are wrong. That's what makes them flaws.

And that's why Kain fangirls hate me hahaha
Post #209565
Posted: 13th September 2015 01:20

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Nytecrawla @ 1st September 2015 05:36)

Chrono Trigger (The hero is a wooden dummy, the cast is a walking bag of tropes and the combat is 90% mash buttons, 5% combo techs, 5% enemy gravity attack spam. I hate this game. I played it to get it off the list and haven't touched it again in a decade.)

Oh man. I like that you said you hate everything, lol. Because so do I. But man. Chrono Trigger might be a top 3 game all time. It just is. Its what 20-30 hours on a good run? Some of the best writing. And its basically just about Jesus is Chrono, Christians vs Muslims non-sense but isnt there a base for everything? Chrono Trigger might be the perfect videogame. Not too long, not too challenging, multiple endings, meaning more replay-ability than most games even now can say for themselves.

Pssh. I hate everything. Honestly, everything sucks.

But Chrono Trigger? Man. It does not. Suck. What a charming game.

--------------------
Post #209583
Posted: 13th September 2015 05:42

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 12th September 2015 20:20)
And its basically just about Jesus is Chrono, Christians vs Muslims non-sense but isnt there a base for everything?

What exactly do you mean by this?

--------------------
Without me and I wonder:

Life goes on...
Post #209586
Posted: 13th September 2015 09:21

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I just think that Chrono Trigger has excellent pacing to its storytelling, knowing how to craft drama and where to let it climax.

----

Y'know how a lot of people who play tabletop RPGs talk about character builds? And what skills/feats/etc. are "better" than others, and how to put stuff together to create totally overpowered characters? I've never really enjoyed that sort of thinking.

Sure, you can make a totally OP character by using this class and these skills/feats/abilities/perks/etc. and these equipment/spells/affinities/etc. and you can pick and choose the perfect stuff from whatever splatbooks you need.

But then again, this is all make-believe anyway. Why are the rulebooks' texts so important in the first place, when tabletop RPGs are a realm where reasonable GM fiat is meant to be able to overrule anything stated in the rules text, and so many homebrew possibilities exist, and furthermore the point of the game isn't even to build the strongest character? I mean, you can trivially create an obnoxiously overpowered character. All you have to do is to simply rewrite the rules.

Maybe for some people they like seeing this as sort of a sandbox challenge, wherein, given a set of rules stating possible alternatives, create the strongest character. And yes, I know, the point of good rulestext design/planning is to make a reasonable balance between the characters that people might play.

But to me it seems mostly meaningless to aim for some sort of character power measure, or to argue whether one feat or another is more or less powerful (or sucky), since the point of the characters one creates is to fit in some way into a narrative and/or setting...so why try to break it or optimize it in the first place? I mean, the characters themselves, in-universe, don't actually think like this, they don't actually optimize options for themselves by looking through a rulebook and analyzing the alternative skills and spells and such. All these rulestext details and calculations are actually supposed to be abstractions/representations of what "really" goes on in-universe anyway.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209589
Posted: 14th September 2015 00:00

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Sherick @ 13th September 2015 00:42)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 12th September 2015 20:20)
And its basically just about Jesus is Chrono, Christians vs Muslims non-sense but isnt there a base for everything?

What exactly do you mean by this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Sp62q2FAY

--------------------
Post #209592
Posted: 14th September 2015 00:33

Black Waltz

Awards:
Interesting, but some of those are huge reaches. I don't see any resemblance between the Mystics and Muslims, and if it wasn't for the name of the city I don't anybody would either. But given the analogous time period I could see there being some kernel of that there. The Jesus bit in inevitable as with any character who is sacrificed and/or resurrected; nothing special there. All the other stuff he tries to use to back that up though is just silly. The fact that the apocalypse is similar to the one in the Bible shouldn't be too surprising either, though I am impressed with the detail this guy picks up on.
How you see that as making the game "just about" Christians vs Muslim "non-sense" I have no clue.

--------------------
Without me and I wonder:

Life goes on...
Post #209594
Posted: 14th September 2015 02:27

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Sherick @ 13th September 2015 19:33)
Interesting, but some of those are huge reaches. I don't see any resemblance between the Mystics and Muslims, and if it wasn't for the name of the city I don't anybody would either. But given the analogous time period I could see there being some kernel of that there. The Jesus bit in inevitable as with any character who is sacrificed and/or resurrected; nothing special there. All the other stuff he tries to use to back that up though is just silly. The fact that the apocalypse is similar to the one in the Bible shouldn't be too surprising either, though I am impressed with the detail this guy picks up on.
How you see that as making the game "just about" Christians vs Muslim "non-sense" I have no clue.

Google search for Chrono Trigger as a re-telling of the bible: https://www.google.com/search?q=chrono+trig...-Ch3fDwv0&dpr=1

But either way, take my statement with a grain of salt, lol. Of course CT's story is a lot more than that, but it is an interesting theory. I think there are obvious allusions to the bible, as the commentator points out and perhaps that is inevitable and unconscious, but I think there was at least some kind of intentional reference to the game having a biblical theme, or at least some influence drawn from it. It isn't such a bad thing.

After all, the bible is a great and influential novel.

user posted image

Further research (Edit): https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/CTT:ChronoEnigma.html

^^^

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 14th September 2015 02:31

--------------------
Post #209595
Posted: 14th September 2015 03:44

Black Waltz

Awards:
I agree that there are definitely biblical parallels in CT, especially around the Book of Revelation. Most of the other stuff sounds like a serious stretch, including the Muslim analogues. The entry on that site about Laruba being the desert Israelites is especially ridiculous.
I think people recognized the endtimes connections, and then started re-analyzing every aspect of the game with the intention of finding biblical allegories in everything, which is actually fairly easy with almost anything. Most of it's hogwash in my opinion. Of course if someone feels like interpreting it that way that is completely up to them.

This post has been edited by Sherick on 14th September 2015 03:45

--------------------
Without me and I wonder:

Life goes on...
Post #209596
Posted: 16th September 2015 04:43

Engineer

Awards:
The fact is that there are a few constant truths which inevitably appear in good literature. You can call anything a Biblical allegory if you try hard enough, just based on the fact that the good guys win. People are people, physics makes stuff broken, and sometimes miracles happen. And there you go! Insta-formula for declaring something as a Biblical allegory.

Allegories do exist, but a good allegory isn't that covert.
Post #209603
Posted: 5th October 2015 18:16

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I got one:I hate extremes of each end, and communicated this via YouTube.

1:Haters who hate every game like Ben Yahtzee, and the rageaholic:They seem to hate everything and seems like most of the time don't give fair credit to games.Rageaholic unfairly bashed dragon warrior 1, and I thought it was good for its time.I also am tired of the haters who trash talk me for defending ff7 for saying it's not the worse thing to happen to the series, and to get a life.

The other extreme:The people who always give a positive review to everything and rarely give a bad review ever.

The other kinds:Fanboys of a series who will praise the game they love, and unfairly hate on the opposite game.I have seen this in ff6 ff7 ff8 ffx, etc etc.These people don't know the definition of being open minded, and I compare them to the guys who obsess over their favorite team, or simply go towards what is popular and join the hype, while hating the other side, and if you even so much as confront them, they become very belligerent, and will attack you without mercy.

Movie critics who review something good and absolutely hate on it and try to make it look bad, like nostalgia critic with Conan the barbarian.The first movie was good, as was the second, but you love commando? Yeah yeah that's probably his other most popular movie, next to terminator.

Some people simply nitpick too much, and can't see the value of something has which might be funny and enjoyable.

I liked all 3 Indiana jones a lot
I even like some movies which are so bad that they are hilarious, and the camp can be entertaining.

The other guys I don't like, are the posers:The people who put on glasses and review and think they are cool and trash all over something, or go shirtless.Rageaholic is of this type.

In my opinion, a person who isn't a poser, is someone who goes and junt acts like themselves and isn't trying too hard and Is completely honest about what they think about the game/Movie.

I sometimes watch Yahtzee, and other times in watch the angry joe, and other times I watch other folks for game info.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209668
Posted: 5th October 2015 22:49

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer)
Some people simply nitpick too much

rolleyes-straight.gif

This post has been edited by Sherick on 5th October 2015 22:49

--------------------
Without me and I wonder:

Life goes on...
Post #209673
Posted: 5th October 2015 22:58

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I simply state my opinion and make no pretense about judging something on some sort of objective measure quality.

I argue that such an objective measure is basically impossible, as quality is based on how much and in what ways people enjoy a work.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209674
Posted: 6th October 2015 11:14

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 5th October 2015 22:58)
I simply state my opinion and make no pretense about judging something on some sort of objective measure quality.

I argue that such an objective measure is basically impossible, as quality is based on how much and in what ways people enjoy a work.

Total honesty, best way to go.I am starting to think maybe it is Better if a younger generation does the reviews of games, because they get more excited about it.

Another unpopular opinion:I don't like secret of mana as much as chrono trigger, earthbound and secret of evermore.I cannot forgive it for its lack of story and character development, and even its very poorly implemented multiplayer was badly done.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 6th October 2015 11:15

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209678
Posted: 6th October 2015 17:41

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I think Secret of Mana had good multiplayer, though it did require a multitap to fully do.

The problem it had was that it required grinding magic to get anywhere, which would be far more fun with friends, but is extremely boring in single-player.

----

Okay, another controversial opinion time:

Steam should allow people to manually unlock, re-lock, and re-unlock their achievements. Now because this can screw up achievement stats and allow people to pretend to have gotten achievements, we can make manual unlocks to have an indicator different from normal unlocks. And keep a whole status history for each achievement -- manually unlocked when, normally unlocked when, manually re-locked when.

This will allow people to do several things:
* when achievements are broken and can't be unlocked in normal gameplay (which is frequent for older games), a player can manually unlock the achievements when the player sees fit.
* when achievements are broken and they unlock too early, they can be re-locked and then re-unlocked manually when the player sees fit.
* when a player wants to replay a game and re-unlock the achievements, they can re-lock them. Not all games support re-unlocking achievements, though, so players would need a way to re-unlock achievements after re-locking them.
* when a player feels they deserve an achievement, they can unlock it themselves. For example, if they've banged their head against a wall for six hours just to set up some ridiculously complex chain of events to get a chieve and then one thing goes awry and they don't feel it's worth it to do that all over again.

Achievements are for personal use, not for showing them off. So just let each player enjoy achievements as they themselves personally see fit.

Achievements are suggestions for how to enjoy the game, from the developers, to the players. This should be a relationship between the devs and each individual player (or players, in the case of multiplayer achievements). Achievements should not be made easier just to award perks, nor should they be made harder just because some people need to use achievements to prop up their self-worth.

Furthermore, achievements are subservient to the game itself. They are an additional feature, not an essential one. Stop demanding achievements from devs. No, there is no need for a game to get achievements (or Steam trading cards). If you're only interested in a game because of its having achievements or having Steam trading cards, then go away.

So the funny thing is that I was having dinner with some friends, all of whom are gamers, and I brought this up just because it was late and I was bored and not actually talking about anything (one of three such people incidentally while these other two people just kept on talking about Dark Souls). I immediately caused an argument, hahaha.

The best counterargument I got, though, was that I'm neglecting the fact that some people do actually enjoy achievements for their social meaning, and enjoy being able to show off their skills or their experience with a game, as a thing that's distinct from their personal "record of what I've done" meaning, and that making it possible to cheat achievements -- or basically unlock them in any other way than the game itself permits -- I'm doing that enjoyment a disservice.

Fair enough, I guess. I guess I just don't much like the whole idea of showing off. I've seen enough of people being jerks toward "noobs" and telling people to "git gud" and generally being unhelpful and unwelcoming toward new players or players that are less skilled, and I really don't like giving them more tools to use to enforce that sort of stratification.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 6th October 2015 18:23

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209683
Posted: 6th October 2015 18:25

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 6th October 2015 17:41)
I think Secret of Mana had good multiplayer, though it did require a multitap to fully do.

The problem it had was that it required grinding magic to get anywhere, which would be far more fun with friends, but is extremely boring in single-player.

----

Okay, another controversial opinion time:

Steam should allow people to manually unlock, re-lock, and re-unlock their achievements. Now because this can screw up achievement stats and allow people to pretend to have gotten achievements, we can make manual unlocks to have an indicator different from normal unlocks. And keep a whole status history for each achievement -- manually unlocked when, normally unlocked when, manually re-locked when.

This will allow people to do several things:
* when achievements are broken and can't be unlocked in normal gameplay (which is frequent for older games), a player can manually unlock the achievements when the player sees fit.
* when achievements are broken and they unlock too early, they can be re-locked and then re-unlocked manually when the player sees fit.
* when a player wants to replay a game and re-unlock the achievements, they can re-lock them. Not all games support re-unlocking achievements, though, so players would need a way to re-unlock achievements after re-locking them.
* when a player feels they deserve an achievement, they can unlock it themselves. For example, if they've banged their head against a wall for six hours just to set up some ridiculously complex chain of events to get a chieve and then one thing goes awry and they don't feel it's worth it to do that all over again.

Achievements are for personal use, not for showing them off. So just let each player enjoy achievements as they themselves personally see fit.

Achievements are suggestions for how to enjoy the game, from the developers, to the players. This should be a relationship between the devs and each individual player (or players, in the case of multiplayer achievements). Achievements should not be made easier just to award perks, nor should they be made harder just because some people need to use achievements to prop up their self-worth.

Furthermore, achievements are subservient to the game itself. They are an additional feature, not an essential one. Stop demanding achievements from devs. No, there is no need for a game to get achievements (or Steam trading cards). If you're only interested in a game because of its having achievements or having Steam trading cards, then go away.

So the funny thing is that I was having dinner with some friends, all of whom are gamers, and I brought this up just because it was late and I was bored and not actually talking about anything (one of three such people incidentally while these other two people just kept on talking about Dark Souls). I immediately caused an argument, hahaha.

The best counterargument I got, though, was that I'm neglecting the fact that some people do actually enjoy achievements for their social meaning, and enjoy being able to show off their skills or their experience with a game, as a thing that's distinct from their personal "record of what I've done" meaning, and that making it possible to cheat achievements -- or basically unlock them in any other way than the game itself permits -- I'm doing that enjoyment a disservice.

Fair enough, I guess. I guess I just don't much like the whole idea of showing off. I've seen enough of people being jerks toward "noobs" and telling people to "git gud" and generally being unhelpful and unwelcoming toward new players or players that are less skilled, and I really don't like giving them more tools to use to enforce that sort of stratification.

Problem is:You require to go and wait a long time before you can use multiplayer.Besides:Multiplayer is far better implemented in games like contra, where it is there from the start, or double dragon.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209684
Posted: 6th October 2015 23:10

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Git Gud scrub I have platinum trophies for every souls game and MGS 2.3.4 and Peace Walker... srsly tongue.gif

Was it worth the time, effort, frustration?
Nope. probably not.

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 6th October 2015 23:12

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #209687
Posted: 7th October 2015 08:25

Crusader

Awards:
It has nothing to do with getting good.Secret of mana is easy mode designed for very young kids, and you don't have multiplayer till you get your second character.Also:I mastered every magic in the game.

Also:I beat legendary hard games like castlevania, ninja gaiden and ghost and goblins.
No cheating no save states, so it has nothing to do with skill, and everything that the multiplayer in the game is lackluster compared to other games.It works better as a single player experience since its tacked on and not available at the start.

To defend this, is to mindlessly defend something you like for the sake of liking it, and not being objective.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209689
Posted: 7th October 2015 15:56

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
As usual I find it very hard to understand your point.

Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 7th October 2015 08:25)
Secret of mana is easy mode designed for very young kids

Haha, tell that to my girlfriend. Enemies and bosses are playing tennis with us. Stunlocked 2 def.
I don't think the game was designed for "very" young kids, either. They'd have to be savants or just naturally grind as they wander aimlessly trying to figure out what to do.

inb4 git gud. I was just messing with Glenn a bit, he seems to have already provided the counter-argument to his trophy rant.

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 7th October 2015 15:57

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #209690
Posted: 7th October 2015 19:43

Crusader

Awards:
The Japanese thought we might find games too hard remember? Remember the minimalistic game crystal chronicles? Secret of mana was like that.I also figured out how to play secret of mana without a problem when I was 12 years old, so if I'm a genius, then everyone who plays this game and fails must have an iq of 80.Seriously:You want hard? Play the early wizardry games where you have to draw your own maps and save on floppy disks, or bards tale where you have to play on Mac for a decent save system and better regen, cause the game is insanely hard.

It's just that it's tedious, not hard.The story is also terrible in secret of mana.I heard that legend of mana is the better game and far far better.I only played a little bit, and it was noticeably different from the snes game with its minimalistic story.

I think what drives me most insane, is when people compare secret of mana to better games like ff6 and chrono trigger, when both games are way better in story and character development.The fighting is interesting, it'd just that the story and characters are non existent.There is literally no backstory to Sprite and or that girl.Sprite doesn't even have a name, and we just except it.Compare ff6, where each character has a. Story, or even chrono trigger.The princess in chrono trigger had far more backstory, and a personality.There was also Luca who is a inventor and kinda cool.

There is just nothing there in secret of mana.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209697
Posted: 7th October 2015 22:23

Awards:
You said very young kid. That makes me think of a 5-7 year old.
Secret of Mana was not designed for 5 year olds. You start a new game and just button mash, see how far you get.

12 is definitely old enough to grasp the strategic concepts of an RPG, especially SoM.

Also, I never said it was "Hard." So no need to start a bragging contest about hard games, you'd probably lose ;]

Oh and, the Sprite's name is Popoi.

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 8th October 2015 11:57

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #209700
Posted: 8th October 2015 14:58

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 7th October 2015 22:23)
You said very young kid. That makes me think of a 5-7 year old.
Secret of Mana was not designed for 5 year olds. You start a new game and just button mash, see how far you get.

12 is definitely old enough to grasp the strategic concepts of an RPG, especially SoM.

Also, I never said it was "Hard." So no need to start a bragging contest about hard games, you'd probably lose ;]

Oh and, the Sprite's name is Popoi.

I beat lots of hard games and been playing very long.The issue is:The ring system is difficult to micro manage, and controlling multiple characters is annoying.

Also, I don't remember the game ever giving the name out in game, so either its obscure, or not mentioned in game.Secret of evermore , which was from the same era gave out names, and it had the same ring system as som.

It doesn't excuse is lack of story or lack of development.Only thing mentioned, is dyluke loves the girl in your party.

Only reason people love this so much, is nostalgia.Nostalgia is making a game with minimalistic story made mostly in the beat em up action style but with rpg elements, to be better than it is.Its ok to turn your brain off once in a while to enjoy mindless action, but to put it on a high pedestal as something it isn't, is ridiculous.You can say you enjoyed it, but is it better in story than Lufia or Lufia 2? No.Better than ff7? No way.Better than chrono trigger? No.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 8th October 2015 15:04

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209710
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: