CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 6th January 2012 05:41

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Huzzah, just finished Saints Row 3! Fantastic game and I can't wait to play it on co-op. Til then, finishing up MageGauntlet (MUST GET ALL HATS) and then will play Bastion.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #198906
Posted: 8th January 2012 02:05

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I've been playing too much Terraria lately.

I've also been playing some Crayon Physics Deluxe. Surprisingly fun little casual game. Getting the "draw only one object" solutions is quite tricky but satisfying when I can pull it off.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #198925
Posted: 8th January 2012 06:56

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I've been playing SWOTR and Wild Arms on my PSP downloaded from PSN. It's nice to finally get farther in Wild Arms than I ever have before. I never played long enough to get to the second half of the game but I've also never tired of re-playing the parts that I've already played.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #198938
Posted: 10th January 2012 13:40

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Neal @ 6th January 2012 05:41)
Huzzah, just finished Saints Row 3! Fantastic game and I can't wait to play it on co-op. Til then, finishing up MageGauntlet (MUST GET ALL HATS) and then will play Bastion.

About saints row 3:

Do you always play as a bank robber? I saw a little bit of footage,and these guys were imitating actors acting as bank robbers? and really robbing a place?

I'm a little confused about the actual idea.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198966
Posted: 10th January 2012 19:03

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th January 2012 05:40)
About saints row 3:

Do you always play as a bank robber? I saw a little bit of footage,and these guys were imitating actors acting as bank robbers? and really robbing a place?

I'm a little confused about the actual idea.

Nope, that's only in the first mission. The guy who talks about acting actually is an actor and came along as part of a method-acting experiment. You don't see him again until much later in the story. The robbery is real.

--------------------
Post #198971
Posted: 10th January 2012 19:39

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I am playing the very first ultima game.

Ultima:first age of darkness,or something like that.
That is the one where you kill mondain.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198972
Posted: 24th January 2012 19:35

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Skyrim and Fifa 12.

After seeing the final of the Fifa 11 tournament where the winner won something like Ł20,000 and an invite to the footballing Palme d'Or that I temporarily can't remember the name of, I thought anyone can do that. He was just a wee Portugese kid. The players were good but didn't seem to know the benefits of packing 5 at the back with 2 defensive midfielders in Ultra Defence mode and man mark players like Drogba with like 2 defenders, then score from free kicks or corners. The old 7-3-0 formation. Once in the lead I just pass the ball around and let the strikers get tired, and win it 1-0. That's just how we do things in Scotland; sans the scoring or the winning part but I'm going to evolve our national game to that level.

Also there's a Ł2000 prize at a Fifa tournament in a student pub I've been to a few times, and surely others in other cities. So instead of getting a job I've decided that's how I'm going to pay for my summer: play a lot of Fifa online and against the best people I know (who are very good) and try and win tournaments. When I played online I shot up the rankings in a few months against people that were insanely good but couldn't crack the hilarious defence, and sent me messages along the lines of 'you suck ****, **** you, you ****.' To which my standard form reply was 'Did you see the score?'

I'm sure nobody has ever thought of this before.

So in short that's what I'll be playing this year. It's all about winning, and being the best. If only there was a Blitzball tournament as well.

Aside from that I poured about 60 hours into Skyrim at the height of my revision period to unwind. I love the game and can't see myself not playing it for ages. Once the effort of putting the game in and turning it on is over, which admittedly is a hurdle, the rest is so easy. My main issue with it is that the stories aren't hugely interesting and, yeah, the rest is so easy. Compared to Oblivion it's just too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 24th January 2012 19:38

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #199119
Posted: 24th January 2012 23:38

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (sweetdude @ 24th January 2012 11:35)

Aside from that I poured about 60 hours into Skyrim at the height of my revision period to unwind. I love the game and can't see myself not playing it for ages. Once the effort of putting the game in and turning it on is over, which admittedly is a hurdle, the rest is so easy. My main issue with it is that the stories aren't hugely interesting and, yeah, the rest is so easy. Compared to Oblivion it's just too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Also playing Skyrim, and it is amazing. I have to disagree about the difficulty however, I found the reverse to be true. Definitely a stunning game though. Bethesda improved in all the right areas. Biggest disappointment to me was honestly how they changed the elves and the orcs.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #199120
Posted: 25th January 2012 19:03

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
So much of the Skyrims happened over Christmas break for me. Now that I'm back at school again, not so much. But: my roomate recently started playing FFVII, at my suggestion, so I've been able to watch him play while doing various schoolworks. Hopefully that'll continue through the semester, as I only played FFVII once, and that was several years ago.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #199125
Posted: 26th January 2012 22:02

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I'm replaying the Phoenix Wright trilogy once again. I'm not sure if it's because I have a short attention span or what, but I'm not feeling it like I used to. Hopefully I'm not getting tired of it. These games have meant a lot to me over the last few years.
Post #199137
Posted: 29th January 2012 21:28

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, I've been playing online a lot lately. Mephisto, Dr Doom, and Wesker can all go suck a (expletive).

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #199164
Posted: 29th January 2012 22:43

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
So it turns out that Mass Effect 2 is ****ing awesome, and Grandia II is still pretty good but not as good as I remember.

--------------------
Post #199165
Posted: 30th January 2012 22:36

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
im starting a nother play through on ff6, my wife and i play sacred 2 together every nite and on weekends i play codmw3
Post #199181
Posted: 10th February 2012 23:08

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 29th January 2012 18:43)
So it turns out that Mass Effect 2 is ****ing awesome

Just finished it two nights ago, and I completely agree. I bought ME1 and ME2 and played them back to back (favorite moment?). I now can't wait for ME3.

But before that comes out, I need to go through Red Dead Redemption next, because I'm going to wait a bit on ME3 for a while.

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 10th February 2012 23:09

--------------------
Post #199275
Posted: 10th February 2012 23:19

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I've owned ME1 for some time, and finally got around to it in December. I liked it so much that I immediately bought ME2 and liked it even better. I think ME2 has the best supporting cast of any RPG since Final Fantasy VI. Favorite moment in each game:
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
The conversation with Sovereign in ME1. Great intro for a great villain; the meeting provides a great combination of foreboding doom and background info that sets up the story's climax.

The Mordin loyalty mission in ME2. It helps that Mordin is one of my 2 or 3 favorite squad members in the game, but I felt that the moral dilemma at hand was well-constructed and the encounter with his former student brought a good amount of drama. As a bonus, after you've completed the mission you can talk to Mordin in his lab to hear him sing a Salarian adaptation of a Gilbert & Sullivan song.

Back on topic: I'm currently playing Grandia II, which I played for a few hours when I owned a Dreamcast (har har) but never really got into. Playing it on the PS2 this time, and it's quite good so far. I really like the dynamic of the three main characters.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 10th February 2012 23:21

--------------------
Post #199277
Posted: 11th February 2012 00:02

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
No doubt about it, Mass Effect's turned out to be a great series thus far, though I think I prefer 1 over 2. And with ME3 Collector's Edition already preordered, I think I'm gonna get in one more playthrough of 1 and 2 for that extra save file to export.

--------------------
Post #199280
Posted: 11th February 2012 00:28

Behemoth

Awards:
Those are probably my two favorite moments too. And not only does it have the best supporting cast since FFVI, it also has some of the best storytelling sidequests since FFVI also. Now, while there are parts of ME1 I like more, I think that ME2's a better game.

Quote (sweetdude)
My main issue with it [Skyrim] is that the stories aren't hugely interesting and, yeah, the rest is so easy.

I actually thought that Skyrim's story was Bethesda's best main quest so far. I only put 40 hours into it, so I didn't get far into the sidequests, but from what I played those were great also. Now, compared to Mass Effect series in storytelling? I'm not that high on it, but Skyrim is a step forward for them. I agree with Mr. Delinquent on that point.

Anyways, back on point, technically I'm playing nothing right now. Playing three RPG's in a row (ME1 and 2 and Skyrim) makes me wonder if I want to get into Red Dead this early.

(Then again, out of curiosity last night, I popped in ME1 just to see the opening, and I was actually tempted to go through it again.)

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 11th February 2012 00:28

--------------------
Post #199282
Posted: 11th February 2012 01:33

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Well, finished playing FFXIII-2 only hours ago, and will likely be doing 100% also.
Also playing Dark Souls even now, again and again and again and again.
Also started Monster Hunter on PS2, but only recently.
Post #199283
Posted: 1st March 2012 00:31

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Juuust started playin Wind Waker earlier this afternoon. After beating Ocarina of Time for the first time last December I decided to try other modern Zelda games in 2012. I'll try it out his week, but once Mass Effect 3 lands on Tuesday everything else gets shelved.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 1st March 2012 00:32

--------------------
Post #199559
Posted: 1st March 2012 02:41

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 29th February 2012 20:31)
Juuust started playin Wind Waker earlier this afternoon. After beating Ocarina of Time for the first time last December I decided to try other modern Zelda games in 2012. I'll try it out his week, but once Mass Effect 3 lands on Tuesday everything else gets shelved.

Man, I'm going on vacation for the next five days, so I won't be able to get it when it comes out. But I can't wait for ME3 either.

--------------------
Post #199563
Posted: 1st March 2012 03:31

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Hee hee, just got done with ME1, my first renegade run, that it was. Now I'm running that Shepard through ME2 (oh, the pain of planet scanning dry.gif ). Lessee if I can finish that one before my copy of ME3 comes in the mail.

Ah, Disgaea 2, I'll get back to you...someday.

--------------------
Post #199566
Posted: 1st March 2012 03:39

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Just started playing Saira.

This seems like an expanded super-version of Knytt Stories.

...which I don't mind at all. I rather enjoyed Knytt Stories.

FYI: Knytt Stories and Saira are both games by Nifflas (a.k.a. Nicklas Nygren), who is famous for such games as Within a Deep Forest, Nightsky HD, Knytt, Knytt Stories, etc.. His specialty is atmospheric pacifist metroidvania platformers...which he does very well.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 1st March 2012 03:41

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #199567
Posted: 3rd March 2012 12:28

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
The Monkey Island series. After beating Secret and then LeChuck's Revenge, I'm currently at Curse. Gotta say I love the voice acting.
Post #199641
Posted: 3rd March 2012 20:14

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
And now I've completed Saira. I have all seven items and have seen all six endings.

Yes, there are six endings. Depends on what items you put in the device, not surprisingly. One references another game, which you might recognize if you've played Nifflas's other games.

In other news, Widowmaker is NOT a good choice of shotgun for a Roman roaming engineer doing "dump and forget" with the mini-sentry.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #199653
Posted: 4th March 2012 00:24

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
I finished Final Fantasy XIII-2 at 100% and it was wonderful. I am now committed to completing my file of Tactics: War of the Lions as it is still my first playthrough of the new translation. Excellent so far!

Following that...probably finally going to play Mass Effect 1. Whooooa.

--------------------
Post #199663
Posted: 4th March 2012 02:25

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (laszlow @ 29th February 2012 20:31)

Hope you enjoy your trial run; I absolutely adored Windwaker. The art style is brilliant and the game world, as a cluster of islands, is pretty unique and was done effectively. Combined with the music, they really captured a great atmosphere. It was the last Zelda game to really jump out at me.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #199665
Posted: 4th March 2012 08:00
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Decided to do another run of the original Mass Effect since I know I'll never get ME3 as long as it's an Origin exclusive. First time I played it a couple years back, I wasn't aware of the PC's lil graphical glitch that set every texture at it's lowest resolution regardless of what you set them at in-game. This time I did some tweaking to the config files before start'n it up and woah momma does it make the difference!

--------------------
Post #199668
Posted: 4th March 2012 16:18

Crusader

Awards:
I just beat ultima 7 and ultima 1.
I am thinking of doing ultima 2 next.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #199670
Posted: 4th March 2012 19:03

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Are the Ultima games the sort that you really have to sit down and focus on to get anywhere with?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #199673
Posted: 4th March 2012 20:37

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 4th March 2012 13:03)
Are the Ultima games the sort that you really have to sit down and focus on to get anywhere with?

I've played Ultima IV for the NES, and there's a few things you need to either memorize or take note of:

- where all of the towns are;
- where the moongates appear and lead (they're the easiest way to get around, but figuring out what moongates appear where and where they take you with each phase of the moon is aggravating);
- what ingredients that new spells require;
- where to get the secret items (a rare alchemy ingredient and a sextant for finding your location);
- where to find the runes of virtue (which are hidden in inconspicuous locations, some with extremely vague hints as to where to find them);
- where to find the shrines of virtue (that you need the runes to enter);
- where to find the dungeons containing the stones of virtue;
- where to find the items needed to enter the final dungeon (and which order you need to use them in);
- what principalities form each virtue; and
- what your standing in each virtue is (once you become worthy of Avatarhood in a virtue, you need to take the corresponding rune to the shrine and meditate; rinse and repeat for all eight virtues).

And this is the dumbed-down NES version.

I played the NES game recently, and it does have some good factors. Compared to other NES RPGs, Ultima IV has a very open world, with almost every area immediately reachable and the remainder easy to access once you get a hold of a ship (by force, of course). The virtues add an interesting addition in comparison to other RPGs where wanton kleptomania goes unpunished (although not to the degree of the PC version).

My main criticism of the game is how absolutely frustrating it is - not in terms of difficulty, but how repetitive it becomes. While the battle system is different at first, it takes several minutes to complete random encounters due to having to approach enemies to attack with melee or the low power of affordable ranged weapons. Grinding for money is annoying as well, since enemies give very little gold, less than 100 gold per encounter - it was especially aggravating having to save up 2000 gold for an item that you can't beat the game without because some of the plot-critical items are behind locked doors. (And since stealing other people's money lowers your virtue...)

The game isn't even difficult - enemies rarely do more than 30 damage to your characters with several hundred hit points and I've seen enemies spam the instant-death Defeat spell repeatedly in battle with no effect whatsoever. While it is an interesting idea, it gets dragged down by repetition.

--------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this sign. This sign loves you.
Post #199674
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: