Amarant [ 2 ]  [9.52%]
My fave was temporary [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
They all rule [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 14th November 2011 15:13

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
If I forgot one, just tell me.

I actually couldn't decide. They all rule, and there are too many reasons why.

Place your votes!
Post #198103
Posted: 14th November 2011 16:29

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I like them all in terms of story.
In terms of gameplay I love Quina-I'm a huge fan of Blue Mages. thumbup.gif

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #198110
Posted: 14th November 2011 16:32

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (ILoveMoombas! @ 14th November 2011 17:29)
I like them all in terms of story.
In terms of gameplay I love Quina-I'm a huge fan of Blue Mages. thumbup.gif

Is that why you have Quistis as your avatar? tongue.gif
Post #198111
Posted: 14th November 2011 16:41

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Chell172 @ 14th November 2011 16:32)
Is that why you have Quistis as your avatar? tongue.gif

Yup! Shows my love of FFVIII and my love of Blue Mages at the same time. biggrin.gif

Back on the subject of IX, I thought it was interesting that Quina is an optional party member for one section of the game and becomes a permanent party member later.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #198114
Posted: 14th November 2011 21:58

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Voted Dagger. Thought her character arc was pretty good, I love Summoners, and I never leave home without a White Mage.

--------------------
Post #198121
Posted: 15th November 2011 20:24

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 14th November 2011 22:58)
Voted Dagger. Thought her character arc was pretty good, I love Summoners, and I never leave home without a White Mage.

Uh, about Dagger, I was very paranoid during

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
The section of the game where Dagger loses her voice. I thought it was Silence, but apparently battle mechanics don't carry over into the "real world".

I'm looking at you, Aeris.
Post #198132
Posted: 16th November 2011 00:38

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I voted for Amarant, not just from a gameplay perspective but also for his character arc. His personal growth is quite impressive, since he learns to rely on others a little more and his journey with the party opens his mind to new possibilities.

I also liked Vivi a lot, since he's such a genuinely heartfelt and even melancholy character. cry.gif

--------------------
"Smoking's bad, mm'kay?"

-Mr Mackey-
Post #198139
Posted: 16th November 2011 06:48

Cactuar

Awards:
This is a rather predicable answer, but Zidane. I just love his morals, and how he treats others with care and respect. smile.gif Expect when it's a cute girl, then everything goes out the window. Sigh Zidane.

This post has been edited by ZidaneTribal on 16th November 2011 06:49

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #198143
Posted: 16th November 2011 20:09

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (ZidaneTribal @ 16th November 2011 07:48)
This is a rather predicable answer, but Zidane. I just love his morals, and how he treats others with care and respect. smile.gif

So true. Three other things I really like about him is how he's the supportive linchpin of the team that others rely on, he's a natural leader through respect and action, and most of all I like how he always seems to end up in really troubled situations but gets out of it with a bit of wit and guile. First-class main character.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #198151
Posted: 16th November 2011 22:20

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Steiner and beatrix were awesome in ff9.
I also liked marco and blank and cynna.

Beatrix was badass.For some reason,females who can fend themselves seem kinda cool.Of course:Men who are tough and can defend themselves are also cool,but there are so many games books and movies that try that approach,that in order to actually succeed,they need to make the character also charismatic to make them memorable.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #198152
Posted: 17th November 2011 01:58

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Dagger and Zidane, Vivi as well obviously.
They are all great characters though, with the possible exception of Quina.
Post #198154
Posted: 17th November 2011 12:03

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (fffanbrit @ 15th November 2011 16:38)
I voted for Amarant, not just from a gameplay perspective but also for his character arc. His personal growth is quite impressive, since he learns to rely on others a little more and his journey with the party opens his mind to new possibilities.

I also liked Vivi a lot, since he's such a genuinely heartfelt and even melancholy character. cry.gif

I had it narrowed down to these two almost immediately, and I ended up giving it to Vivi because he really pulls on the old heartstrings. I found myself enthralled by the Vivi-centered segments.
Post #198163
Posted: 28th December 2011 13:59

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Battle-wise, I'd choose Eiko, but overall, Freya. Man, her character is just so tragic! All that stuff with Fratley, her hometown, Cleyra...goodness, it's a wonder she didn't have a nervous breakdown! Not to mention, if you had a brochure of most depressing places on Gaia, Burmecia would be on the front cover. ;__;

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #198738
Posted: 29th December 2011 01:05

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I liked all their story arcs (except Quina who doesn't really have one) and I can enjoy the game with whoever in battle but, on all play throughs. I have to use Steiner. He's always been my favorite character in the game. It's always the Loyal Knight who's sworn to protect you that's my favorite character in most games. It's also a plus that he tends to lead himself into commical situations with his singlemindedness.
Zidane as a character in the story is awesome don't get me wrong but does it bug anyone else that you HAVE to have in your party for 90% of the game? I actually would have liked to not have him when I took on Ozma as I more wanted someone who had more balanced abilities.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198746
Posted: 29th December 2011 01:58

Onion Knight

Awards:
Zidane as a character in the story is awesome don't get me wrong but does it bug anyone else that you HAVE to have in your party for 90% of the game? I actually would have liked to not have him when I took on Ozma as I more wanted someone who had more balanced abilities.

Good point, which is another reason I always liked Amarant; his ability to heal his comrades as well as his none too mean attack power make him an indespensible character, especially in prolonged battles. Same goes for Freya, what with her ability to cast Regen on the party that makes her especially useful earlier in the game.

A well-balanced party would have to have at least one of those two, perhaps both.

--------------------
"Smoking's bad, mm'kay?"

-Mr Mackey-
Post #198751
Posted: 29th December 2011 03:07

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Lol, I actually did use both in the fight with Ozma. I wanted to use steiner and replace zidane with someone else for the 4th spot but I couldn't. sad.gif

--------------------
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198754
Posted: 29th December 2011 15:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
In defence of Zidane I'll say that having a thief throughout the game is essential for nearly every battle in the plot. I really like how in FFIX there is a set amount of stuff to get from stealing and Chocobo treasure hunting, and without Zidane we'd be missing a lot.

For Ozma Zidane is extremely useful. Amarant, Steiner and Freya cannot physically attack him but Zidane in Trance does major damage. Even without high levels or the best weapons he can do 9999. I know Dragon Crest, Shock and other attacks can hit Ozma, but Zidane's Trance will more likely be available early without needing to get one of Steiner's Shock swords or kill however many Ironites with Freya. I found that using Zidane's Trance attacks and either a high damage Dragon Crest or Shock was enough to kill him in just a few turns. Basically, much easier and less preparation with Zidane I think.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #198793
Posted: 31st December 2011 21:05

Onion Knight

Awards:
All the characters had their strong points, even Quina with his/her Blue Magic, but I agree Zidane's 'steal' ability is very valuable. One thing I thought could have been expanded on was the in-battle cooperation between Vivi and Steiner for Steiner's 'Magic Sword' ability. Perhaps Amarant and Zidane could have teamed up for a more effective steal-based move, or Eiko and Garnet could combine their summon abilities for example.

If I had to choose a party to stick with for the entire game it would probably be Zidane for Steal and his speed of attack, Quina for Blue Magic, Garnet for healing and Summoning, and Amarant for his overall versatility.

--------------------
"Smoking's bad, mm'kay?"

-Mr Mackey-
Post #198827
Posted: 19th January 2012 09:23

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm not saying i don't like Zidane or anything. his Trance is probably the best thing you could get and I love stealing with him too. I just thought it'd be nice to do what chrono trigger did and not force you to have him in the main party at the end of the game or (why they didn't just keep doing this and stopped until X idk) be like VI where you could have whoever in your team except for story specific characters for whatever your doing. Also, Zidane is the center of my favorite song on the game so how could i hate him tongue.gif

--------------------
Post #199068
Posted: 16th February 2012 21:58

Onion Knight

Awards:
...Technically, you're wrong. Zidane was removable from the party, at least while you were in Memoria. And since that is the end of the game...

--------------------
Yours, with sarcasm,
Kjel
Post #199352
Posted: 17th February 2012 04:13

Behemoth

Awards:
Vivi is probably my favorite video game character. Yet, it's hard to explain why. His innocence perhaps, makes him have more personality. He's just so endearing. Now, I'll say, if you could pick two together, Zidane and Steiner's bantor is the best part of the game for me. Those three together make FFIX such a memorable cast.

--------------------
Post #199362
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: