CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 13th November 2014 21:54

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Sorry to double-post, but this is one of the few times I'll do it:

WIN 02:13:70 Boss Rush Course B!

For Dracula, use the best sword glyph combined with Nitesco, activate Dominus Agony (even more stat boosts), while wearing Death Ring and Diamond Ring. Spam the glyph union -- the huge purple lightsaber. You should have enough hearts to completely beat Dracula in just one phase. He might stop firing fireballs, but DON'T STOP SWORDING HIM.

You don't need to do the extra Dominus glyph union sequence in the boss rush, FWIW.

Also, during the Death battle, switch out your Death Ring for a Ruby Ring (remember Nitesco has both fire and light elements) when he does his crescent blades or red swirls attacks, then you can afford to take a hit in order to deal more damage to him. The individual attacks you do will do less, but they make up for not being able to damage him to avoid his attacks completely. (Which is what I legitimately did when I went for boss medals, of course, but there's no time limit to that.)

L. Eye of God GET!!

And now I'm going to mark this game 'done', since the other items are just the glyph union helms which I find kinda boring and are just the lesser rewards from the boss rushes, so I don't really give a crap at this point. NEVER MIND I WENT AND GOT THE ITEMS ANYWAY. JUST NOT DOING HARD MODE.

(Incidentally, this is why social gaming utilities like Steam should let you choose to set and unset achievements.)

Now I promise to laszlow and Neal not to post again until I actually go play Cthulhu Saves the World.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 14th November 2014 03:01

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #207707
Posted: 14th November 2014 09:47

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I just finished Secret of Mana (it only took 2 days!!), and now I'm running through Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

This game is FRUSTRATING. It just seems like it enjoys beating the living shit out of you at any given moment! I don't see how I ever got through it as a kid! D:

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207719
Posted: 15th November 2014 00:56

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I have been playing Final Fantasy VII for a while, but I got it used and Disc 2 needs to be buffed before I can play further. So I started playing Final Fantasy I. I have played it in the past and got as far as the Earth-elemental town (I assume the associated elements are intentional) but it was a ROM on a computer which is now completely dysfunctional. So I restarted and am now at Elfland. flag-red.gif
Post #207729
Posted: 15th November 2014 07:01

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 14th November 2014 19:56)
I have been playing Final Fantasy VII for a while, but I got it used and Disc 2 needs to be buffed before I can play further. So I started playing Final Fantasy I. I have played it in the past and got as far as the Earth-elemental town (I assume the associated elements are intentional) but it was a ROM on a computer which is now completely dysfunctional. So I restarted and am now at Elfland. flag-red.gif

Are you gonna stock up on Tents and go to the Peninsula of Power Leveling, or just slay Ogres and Creeps old-school-style?

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207735
Posted: 16th November 2014 00:50

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Spooniest @ 15th November 2014 02:01)
Are you gonna stock up on Tents and go to the Peninsula of Power Leveling, or just slay Ogres and Creeps old-school-style?

Whoa, back up. What peninsula? Where???
Post #207744
Posted: 16th November 2014 01:10

Black Waltz

Awards:
user posted image

That one, there. The top four tiles have encounters from the continent to the north coded onto them, whether by programmer oversight or design.

Watch out...you can get repeatedly wasted here. Make sure you have the Harm/Dia spells, and preferably a few charges of Fire 2/Fira. What you really want is to run into a few ZomBulls/Zombie Minotaurs, as they yield the most EXP, and aren't that hard to beat with the above mentioned spells.

At least have a Short Sword (available at the Pravoka weapons shop).

You might have to save and restart a few times to get the ZomBull encounter to appear...if you run into a T-Rex, a group of Frost Wolves or a group of Giants, you're basically screwed, though I have had some luck in the past with using the Mute spell on the Frost Wolves, which blocks their "Frost" attack.

Happy grinding!

This post has been edited by Spooniest on 16th November 2014 01:13

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207745
Posted: 16th November 2014 23:14

Engineer

Awards:
Wow, thanks! Looks like some ZomBulls are getting KNOCKED DOWN!
Post #207748
Posted: 17th November 2014 07:45

Black Waltz

Awards:
No problemo. I may start a new game of Final Fantasy myself. smile.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207751
Posted: 19th November 2014 13:07

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Avalon. Not bored of this.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #207760
Posted: 26th November 2014 23:10

Cactuar

Awards:
for me, Skylanders trap team, (been collecting the figurines for it), Hyrule warriors, (doing the adventure mode) and Pokemon Omega Ruby (been breeding and training Pokemon)
Post #207779
Posted: 13th December 2014 08:12
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Alright, given a go at Deus Ex da OG for like the fourth or fifth time. Furthest I've gotten so far and now that I powered through the interface and set up a proper character build I gotta say, it's miiiiighty impressive the sheer size to say nothin of the scope they were able to pull off with the levels. They're boxy as hell, but damned if they aint huge at times.

--------------------
Post #207899
Posted: 14th December 2014 19:09

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
It's time to play the Steam Community massively multiplayer online society sim game again!

...sigh.

Anyway, there's this crazy auction event going on on Steam right now.

Sadly, there are no espers being auctioned off. Not even confusingly-worded scale models. Just digital instances of games.

However, you CAN get a free 100 XP from it. Here's how:

0. Know a friend who has gems. (These are the currency used to enter the auction, and are generated from grinding up emoticons and backgrounds. Or Steam cards, but you'd be an idiot to use those.)
1. Ask that friend to lend you a gem.
2. Bid on any auction. This will get you 100 XP and a new badge.
3. Cancel your bid and return the gem to your friend.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #207916
Posted: 15th December 2014 18:32

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Pokemon ORAS has been my thing recently, the game is amazing. Deoxys is finally catchable in game legit, and the new Primal Groudon is really awesome.
Also revisited Super Smash Bros Brawl for a bit and it is still as fun as ever.
And I have now 100% completed Bravely Default! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #207922
Posted: 16th December 2014 23:46

Returner

Currently playing Final Fantasy V. I'm due to fly to Walz for the first time, but first I'm levelling up a few jobs and getting some GP.
Post #207943
Posted: 17th December 2014 16:03

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Narratorway @ 13th December 2014 04:12)
Alright, given a go at Deus Ex da OG for like the fourth or fifth time. Furthest I've gotten so far and now that I powered through the interface and set up a proper character build I gotta say, it's miiiiighty impressive the sheer size to say nothin of the scope they were able to pull off with the levels. They're boxy as hell, but damned if they aint huge at times.

I got a super cheap copy of this at some steam sale a year or two ago, and I keep not getting around to it. In fact I was going to start this up a week or so ago, when instead....

Skyrim happened again. Hit me real hard, as it is wont to do. This is a family annual thing for me - when winter hits - but now that I live in the sadness of New Jersey, real winter apparently doesn't begin until, well, maybe January? So instead of being my reaction to winter, this year Skyrim has become my stand-in for winter. And also oodles of fun.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #207946
Posted: 18th December 2014 04:20

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Just three games this time.

XenoBlade

I've been playing this thing for months, and it's great, but it's also vast, and I'm at a slow-moving point in the game (Mechonis Field).

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Another huge freakin' game. Really enjoying exploring the environments and characters, and the HUGE freaking story moments. I did one major decision that made me feel so bad that I tried to reload my save, but all I had was the autosave and... look the story's pretty good in this game, okay?

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Take Persona 3 and 4. Pretty good, right? Now take all the character stuff that's great about those games, and make it worse. Then take all the dungeon grinding stuff in Persona 3 and Persona 4 and make it a lot more interesting. Now play it for 70 hours on a 3DS and you're playing Persona Q. It's pretty good.

--------------------
Post #207948
Posted: 29th December 2014 14:34

Cactuar

Awards:
Tales of Symphonia.

Same situation as any other gaming experience. You don't pick up every item in every game for the same reason you don't own every game.

Too much to collect.

Story line and soundtrack of ToS I got into. smile.gif

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #207990
Posted: 29th December 2014 15:41

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Currently going through FFX HD in between feeding my addiction to FFXIV.
Looking forward to reaching X-2 to try out the creature capture and fiend arena stuff.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #207992
Posted: 30th December 2014 05:25

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
My wife got me a Vita for Christmas, so I went out to Game Stop and bought a bunch of games (they were having a buy two get one free used games sale). Of those I bought, I'm currently alternating between playing Toukiden (a demon themed Monster Hunter clone made by Koei) and Street Fighter x Tekken. I'm enjoying Toukiden fairly well. I still wish there were a Monster Hunter game on Vita, but Toukiden will have give me my fix for now.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #207993
Posted: 6th January 2015 22:41

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I've gotten a bit into Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I still say it's inferior to the original, but it's certainly a worthy successor. Seeing Bob Page in the intro was cool.

I also started playing System Shock 2 and Little Big Adventure 2. The latter seems really comfy.

I haven't posted here for like a year. Hello everyone.
Post #208018
Posted: 7th January 2015 01:47

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 6th January 2015 18:41)
I've gotten a bit into Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I still say it's inferior to the original, but it's certainly a worthy successor. Seeing Bob Page in the intro was cool.

I also started playing System Shock 2 and Little Big Adventure 2. The latter seems really comfy.

I haven't posted here for like a year. Hello everyone.

DXHR is on my list of things to pick up soon, too. And I also tried System Shock 2 a few months ago but it just didn't grab me enough to keep going right away. I'll go back to it later.

I just started the Burial At Sea DLC for Bioshock Infinite today. Didn't have time to get far yet. I'm also three achievements away from having Final Fantasy XIII-2 at 100%.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #208019
Posted: 7th January 2015 12:50

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I also picked up Ground Zeroes and I don't really like it so far. The changes to the gameplay (tagging, slow-mo takedowns, lack of knocking etc) are a bit too much. And I think MGSV in general seems pretentiously gritty, while previous entries found a fine balance between light and dark.

I've also played The Desolate Hope a bit. I have a lot of respect for Scott Cawthon (partially because we have the same religion). It has the best artistic direction of any indie game I've played and you can tell a lot of passion was put into it, but the platforming segments are sadly really dull and take up too much time.

This post has been edited by Metal King Slime on 7th January 2015 13:06
Post #208020
Posted: 8th January 2015 05:47

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. It's my first Tactics game, and it took me a bit to understand the battle system, but once I did it was easy. Really enjoying the game so far. I spent the past few days leveling up and unlocking jobs, and now I'm getting back to the story.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy VII -Rebirth-
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV Side Quests (or maybe more Rebirth, we'll see!)
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #208033
Posted: 8th January 2015 20:38

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I'm getting used to the tagging system in Ground Zeroes. It's a good substitute for the radar.

I rescued Chico and some other POWs too because I'm a softie at heart. Now I'm looking for Paz.
Post #208035
Posted: 16th January 2015 21:15

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Back to my regular schedule of playing two or three games at once. I finished Dragon Age: Inquisition and XenoBlade Chronicles, and without exaggerating I think they're two of the absolute best RPGs on their systems. Both really excellent overall. But those were then and these are now:

Fire Emblem: Awakening

I'm a little concerned about the level of assumed / mandatory grind in this game (I'm playing on Hard, and on chapter 12) but it's really, really strong when it comes to characters, customization, and overall satisfaction. They've implemented 3DS tricks like spotpassing and friend lists in really cool ways, and the sheer amount of options and diversions available is amazing. I can tell why it's the most popular FE game in series history. Enjoying this one quite a bit.

Paper Mario

I never owned an N64, and Thousand-Year Door is maybe my favorite GameCube game. So why did it take me this long to play the first Paper Mario? Well, I tried playing it on an emulator seven or eight years ago, but it irreparably crashed after I found (I think?) five out of seven stars and I never had the heart to go back to it. I'm starting over, this time on a legal Wii Shop downloaded version, and so far it's all very familiar. I really like the sense of humor and basic nuts and bolts of all the Mario RPGs I've played, and this one is no exception.

Persona Q

I'm barely further than my last post here. It's a really great game if you like Persona 3+4 and long, complicated dungeon crawls, which totally works for me. But I'm having trouble with one dungeon floor and I'm unwilling to check a guide to get through it. I'll probably revisit PQ in earnest once I'm done with Fire Emblem.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 16th January 2015 21:16

--------------------
Post #208081
Posted: 16th January 2015 22:57

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 7th January 2015 13:50)
I also picked up Ground Zeroes and I don't really like it so far. The changes to the gameplay (tagging, slow-mo takedowns, lack of knocking etc) are a bit too much. And I think MGSV in general seems pretentiously gritty, while previous entries found a fine balance between light and dark.

I picked it up at last too. I'm also struggling to like it, but tbh for different reasons! I hadn't noticed the lack of knocking (thanks, now I won't be able to not notice!), and thought the tagging was a nice variation on the older games having all enemies on the radar to start with.

You do make a good point about the grit though. My biggest problem, and I've really tried to overcome it, is Kiefer. He's just not Snake. His voice isn't deep enough, not gravelly enough. It sounds silly and petty, but it completely breaks the immersion for me. Such a shame.

Right now I'm fully addicted to Destiny, however. Yes, the plot is non-existent. Yes, the DLC is overtly monetised. But the game itself? Utterly beuatiful, and the base mechanics are truly perfect. Makes for a very satisfying PvP, with a suitably addictive grind for shiny gear that rewards the magpie in me just enough to keep me on the hook.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #208082
Posted: 18th January 2015 18:38

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Playing Pokemon ORAS 24/7
Aside from that, I picked up Fantasy Life and Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon.
Also FFXIV.

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #208083
Posted: 18th January 2015 18:53
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Alien Isolation...

user posted image

I don't know what peeps is on about the game being 'too long'. I mean, in terms of pacing, the middle part drags cause of spoiler reasons, but the actual length really isn't more than your standard CoD game, just slowed down because running is noisy and noise invites death.

And goddamn if it aint exhausting to play for any length of time. The entire thing is just Tension: The Game so even a half hour play session will have me wanting to take a break just to regain some stamina. Basically my kinda game! Started a new run the moment the credits finished from my first run. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Post #208084
Posted: 19th January 2015 05:08

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
After some years, I decided to pop in an old-ish favorite: Wild Arms 2. Maybe this time I'll consider going after some of the optional bosses I passed up last time. Also, Marivel heart.gif . She's such a cute lil bloodsucker, especially when dashing!

--------------------
Post #208089
Posted: 21st January 2015 22:19

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I just got the platinum for Dark Souls. I started playing in around xmas. I had gotten stuck in Anor Londo by the two Silver Knight Archers, you know the ones, when the game came out. I've had a chip on my shoulder ever since. This year I started again and took me about a month the get 100%. Fun game, won't be playing again though. Uncharted 3 is next.

--------------------
Yeah, I barely post.
Post #208107
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: