CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy VII now available on Steam

Posted: 4th July 2013 14:25

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140

lol @ "Cloud Saving"

Anyway, from poking around in the Steam forums:

1. It appears to be an updated version of the Eidos PC port. It contains original graphics and MIDI soundtrack (you can change the soundtrack with some fan-made fixes, though). However, it seems to be updated to work on modern computers, hopefully without crashing randomly.

2. It appears that the SecuROM DRM that was present in the direct-from-Squenix digital version is gone. However, you still need to make a Square-Enix account (or log in with Facebook) in order to play the game. The game uses cloud saves (no pun intended, really), but does so using Squenix's servers, rather than Steam's; supposedly you can disable the cloud saves and just have local saves. (The game probably also uses Steam wrapper DRM.)

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 4th July 2013 15:40

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203813
Posted: 9th July 2013 01:48

Returner

Hooray!

As a FF7 nutter, I had to buy this. Despite owning the game on PS1 and PSN already.
The cloud saving is nice, I can and have been playing interchangeably on my PC and win8 tablet (with gamepad) without manually having to transfer saves.

I usually don't give a rats about achievements, but I suddenly find myself wanting to collect them all! I wish there were more though.
Post #203832
Posted: 13th July 2013 02:38

Returner

I'd like to take back my statement that cloud saving is nice. It's a steaming pile of you know what that doesn't work.

I play on two machines, desktop and tablet. Worked great for a while, then cloud saving stopped working very suddenly and just fails to sync no matter what I try despite the test option in the settings saying everything is OK. Apparently this appears to be a common problem.

So I disabled cloud saving on my desktop and copied over my latest save from the tablet manually. The continue option remained grayed out and I couldn't load it. So I re-enabled cloud saving and it suddenly succeeded in syncing for the first time in three days. But that overwrote my 17 hour save file with an old 8 hour one... Luckily I still had it backed up on the other machine. So I quit the game, overwrite the file again and reload. Yet again it syncs and overwrites my file.

So this time while at the title screen I Alt-Tab out of the game and overwrite the local save with the up to date one yet again and Tab back into the game, it then lets me load my 17 hour save without re-downloading the old one. Then I went to save and it once again overwrote the 8 hour save into the slot. No biggie, I just saved over it. But when I left the save menu it then failed to sync. So it seems I can read the old saves from the server, but can't write to them.

Luckily I disabled cloud saving again and my up to date save stayed and it allowed me to load them this time. Crisis over, but really, what a sloppy job Square! You've had over a year to fix this since the original non-steam version and it still doesn't work and is destroying peoples saves.

I don't think they understand what syncing means... It should always keep the most recent file, not overwrite it with an older one. They seem to have set it up as a one way street that doesn't compare file dates.

NOT HAPPY SQUARE!
Post #203865
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: