CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Unpopular gaming opinions that you have

Posted: 25th April 2014 07:59

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I agree with Narratorway. If the game was an isometric hack and slash then I wouldn't have an issue with the game having such a strong focus on the numbers. But for this game, I think it does take away from the experience it attempts to create.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #206670
Posted: 26th April 2014 08:58

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
I wonder.. if TES took a few nods from Dark Souls in that regard, would it be the ubergame?..

And no, not king's field.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #206678
Posted: 26th April 2014 22:43
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Doubt it. The DS series has an extremely tight design focus, whereas TES is about as broad as you can conceptually get.

--------------------
Post #206681
Posted: 2nd May 2014 16:18

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Does anyone else ever get the feeling that you are very accustomed to the basic mechanics of a certain game or series of games and you just want more games that use the same mechanics but have different content? As opposed to learning a new mechanics system for each game, I mean.

Well, of course, this is why we have sequels. But apparently my tolerance for things I like is noticeably higher, because some people speak of "Capcom sequel stagnation" while I actually enjoyed Mega Man 4, 5, and 6. (Yeah, I know it applies more to Street Fighter.) And more recently I've been dueling the bosses in Ys Origin with Yunica and I've just so enjoyed the controls that I am almost a little reluctant to play the other two characters since I am so comfortable with the controls.

It's like, at some point, the controls just feel so intuitive because I'm so used to them. And I just want to use those same mechanics everywhere I go. Or something.

Something like that.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 2nd May 2014 16:28

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #206712
Posted: 13th May 2014 11:23

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Pokemon. I'm trying to play Heartgold. My god it's BORING

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 13th May 2014 11:23

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #206747
Posted: 13th May 2014 14:51

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 13th May 2014 11:23)
Pokemon. I'm trying to play Heartgold. My god it's BORING

What did you just say!!!!!!

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #206748
Posted: 13th May 2014 18:08

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Final Fantasy 9 is one of my least favourites, but not as bad as Final Fantasy 2.

I love the Final Fantasy Spin-offs. biggrin.gif

Sephiroth sucks.

--------------------
Post #206749
Posted: 13th May 2014 18:20

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Super Smash Brothers is half bad platformer, half inferior fighting game. It's only popular at all because people go gaga for Nintendo characters and the N64 didn't have any good fighters.

--------------------
Post #206750
Posted: 13th May 2014 18:26

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm not really much of a Mario fan. I always preferred the Wario Land titles.

The Demon's/Dark Souls series is mediocre at best (extreme difficulty does not make up for poor design).

I really don't care for Earthbound/Mother and can't stand the likes of the dime-a-dozen FPS, multiplayer, and sports games.

There's more, I'm sure.

--------------------
HSUP B TCELES
Post #206751
Posted: 13th May 2014 18:52

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
It seems to me that the Mario games are your standard obstacle-course platformer. The main thing with them is that they're good at what they do (as in, designed well, and all), not that they're necessarily terribly interesting. They can be fun, though, if you're in the mood for it, and with their easily-accessible style of gameplay, they hold quite an appeal for both longtime fans and newcomers.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 13th May 2014 18:53

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #206752
Posted: 13th May 2014 19:56

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I quite like mario games actually, though if find the 3-d ones frustrating.
Back to the point of the topic-

The graphics of FF7 actually look terrible, the people look like playmobile (that plastic sets i used to get as a kid)

Finaal Fantasy 5 is very awesome.

Super smash bros i think is a good game, and i will be buying it for the 3ds, not wii u because i don't own one.

--------------------
Post #206753
Posted: 13th May 2014 22:03

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Quote (laszlow @ 13th May 2014 13:20)
Super Smash Brothers is half bad platformer, half inferior fighting game. It's only popular at all because people go gaga for Nintendo characters and the N64 didn't have any good fighters.

Only if you view it as a fighting game, which is something it's not trying to be.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #206754
Posted: 13th May 2014 23:38

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Sherick @ 13th May 2014 17:03)
Quote (laszlow @ 13th May 2014 13:20)
Super Smash Brothers is half bad platformer, half inferior fighting game.  It's only popular at all because people go gaga for Nintendo characters and the N64 didn't have any good fighters.

Only if you view it as a fighting game, which is something it's not trying to be.

If I view it as a "party arena game" or a "casual fanservice button-masher" then it still isn't fun. If I want to play a multiplayer Nintendo game in a group, I'll take one of the various Mario Karts over the three Smash games 100 times out of 100.

--------------------
Post #206756
Posted: 14th May 2014 00:19

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (HolyCeles @ 13th May 2014 14:56)
I quite like mario games actually, though if find the 3-d ones frustrating.

I haven't played the later 3D ones, but I find Super Mario 64 interesting though not that great.

It's very curious and interesting and fun to explore. There's lots to see and do, and that's what makes me enjoy it. But when playing SM64 I felt that I was frequently fighting the camera.

Granted, a lot of 3D platformer games have trouble with this.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #206757
Posted: 14th May 2014 01:43

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 13th May 2014 19:38)
If I view it as a "party arena game" or a "casual fanservice button-masher" then it still isn't fun.  If I want to play a multiplayer Nintendo game in a group, I'll take one of the various Mario Karts over the three Smash games 100 times out of 100.

The N64 one wasn't a button-masher, it was actually pretty nuanced. Or maybe my opinion is due to my unpopular opinion, that fighters absolutely suck. There has never been one moment for me, in Street Fighter, for example, when it didn't feel like random button-mashing and crappy gameplay.

It seems to me that the Mario games are your standard obstacle-course platformer. The main thing with them is that they're good at what they do (as in, designed well, and all), not that they're necessarily terribly interesting. They can be fun, though, if you're in the mood for it, and with their easily-accessible style of gameplay, they hold quite an appeal for both longtime fans and newcomers.

Which Mario games? The classics? I'd disagree, especially about SMB3 and SMW, though I would say that DKC is better in my opinion.

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 14th May 2014 01:47

--------------------
Post #206758
Posted: 14th May 2014 05:58

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Oh, and at least to me, the Monster Hunter series has always seemed like a broken piece of crap to me. The monster designs are great and all, and descriptions of how the game is supposed to work sounds salvageable, but in practice, NOTHING F$@%#%$ WORKS.

I know I have this uncanny ability to trigger glitches in games, but nowhere near to this degree.

--------------------
HSUP B TCELES
Post #206761
Posted: 14th May 2014 08:34

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 13th May 2014 20:43)

Which Mario games? The classics? I'd disagree, especially about SMB3 and SMW, though I would say that DKC is better in my opinion.

I actually had the half or so of NSMB in my head when I wrote that.

I agree that it applies less to SMB3 and SMW, which feel more open and explorable due to multi-pathing on the map and the flight ability within levels.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #206762
Posted: 14th May 2014 17:29

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (dekupride @ 14th May 2014 05:58)
Oh, and at least to me, the Monster Hunter series has always seemed like a broken piece of crap to me. 

To be honest, never acually liked the Monster hunter games, though i found the latest one (MH3U) ok actually.

Which Mario games? The classics? I'd disagree, especially about SMB3 and SMW, though I would say that DKC is better in my opinion

DKC is pretty much the same. You are talking about Donkey kong country right?

--------------------
Post #206765
Posted: 14th May 2014 19:46

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (BlitzSage)
The N64 one wasn't a button-masher, it was actually pretty nuanced. Or maybe my opinion is due to my unpopular opinion, that fighters absolutely suck. There has never been one moment for me, in Street Fighter, for example, when it didn't feel like random button-mashing and crappy gameplay.

The fact that you call Smash Brothers nuanced and Street Fighter crappy is disappointing and hilarious to me. But whatever; to each his own. We can each just accuse the other of sucking and be done with it.

Quote (dekupride @ 14th May 2014 00:58)
Oh, and at least to me, the Monster Hunter series has always seemed like a broken piece of crap to me.  The monster designs are great and all, and descriptions of how the game is supposed to work sounds salvageable, but in practice, NOTHING F$@%#%$ WORKS.

As someone who has played upwards of 300 hours of Monster Hunter and enjoys the ones I've played (mostly Freedom 2 and Unite), you're pretty much right. Monster Hunter is a mess of bad hitboxes, sluggish gameplay, and unbalanced pacing. You should only play Monster Hunter if the following are true:

1. You have at least two friends to regularly play with.
2 . One of them gives you a copy of an appropriate Monster Hunter game for zero price.
3. You are willing to sink dozens of hours into quests before you earn satisfying rewards

If all three of those are true then you're probably already playing. Congrats. And sorry. Welcome to Monster Hunter purgatory.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 14th May 2014 19:48

--------------------
Post #206766
Posted: 15th May 2014 01:30

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 14th May 2014 04:34)
I actually had the half or so of NSMB in my head when I wrote that.

I agree that it applies less to SMB3 and SMW, which feel more open and explorable due to multi-pathing on the map and the flight ability within levels.

NSMB is pretty bland, and it's incomparable to DKCR in terms of level design, though I think that both are not interesting in terms of aesthetics.

"disappointing and hilarious"

If I were a reviewer, that would be my blurb on the back of Street Fighter II! Or perhaps something like, "the best game of a crappy genre," or "point-and-click adventures have more nuanced gameplay."

Yes, mostly DKC1, 2, Returns, and Tropical Freeze. And how do you mean the same?

--------------------
Post #206767
Posted: 15th May 2014 16:51

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 13th May 2014 18:20)
Super Smash Brothers is half bad platformer, half inferior fighting game.  It's only popular at all because people go gaga for Nintendo characters and the N64 didn't have any good fighters.

Quote (Dekupride)
Some factually incorrect bullshit about Dark Souls

Oh man.. I.. I might have to leave CoN, from these two posts alone sad.gif

Laszlow, expect an earnest PM this evening..

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
Post #206769
Posted: 15th May 2014 17:56

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (BlitzSage @ 15th May 2014 01:30)

Yes, mostly DKC1, 2, Returns, and Tropical Freeze. And how do you mean the same?

They seem very similar, it's lots of stages if different obstacle courses, but instead of collecting coins it's bannana's.

I guess DKC was a little more interesting because there was a different story to each game (sort of) rather than in mario it's just 'PEACH HAS BEEN KIDNAPED SH*T'
The only exception to that was the latest Super Mario 3d world for wii u, where you could play as peach.

--------------------
Post #206772
Posted: 16th May 2014 01:14

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Blinge Odonata @ 15th May 2014 11:51)
Quote (laszlow @ 13th May 2014 18:20)

Quote (Dekupride)
Some factually incorrect bullshit about Dark Souls

Oh man.. I.. I might have to leave CoN, from these two posts alone sad.gif

Laszlow, expect an earnest PM this evening..

Oh no, an unpopular opinion on an unpopular opinion board!

Also, bye. Interpret that how you want.

--------------------
HSUP B TCELES
Post #206776
Posted: 16th May 2014 13:24

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Anyone played Braid before? A lot of journalists go on about how amazing and innovative it is. I thought it was really overated and a bit boring. I'm all for trying something different but it wasn't much fun.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #206778
Posted: 16th May 2014 14:22

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I have to agree with Lasz regarding the Smash Brothers series. Although there was a time when I enjoyed the original as a child, I lost interest in it pretty fast and eventually took to picking DK just so I could grab whoever was doing the best and jump off the edge with them.

As for Monster Hunter, there are some hit box issues with a few of the monsters. However, I'm of the opinion that if you truly believe that NOTHING works in the game then you're just doing it wrong. I say this having soloed everything in MHF2 and MHFU.

Braid is innovative but it does require a certain amount of patience at times that can make for boring gameplay.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #206779
Posted: 19th May 2014 00:47

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I prefer the Smash Bros. series over normal fighting games because i'm no good at remembering and executing a large variety of button combos, but rather, I prefer to have a few attacks on hand and be able to jump around the stage and avoid directly facing the opponent if I can help it. The platforming allows me a way of managing my gameplay that is intuitive to me, rather than simply having to rely on lots of button combos that aren't as intuitive.

Quote (fatman)
Anyone played Braid before? A lot of journalists go on about how amazing and innovative it is. I thought it was really overated and a bit boring. I'm all for trying something different but it wasn't much fun.

I didn't really like Braid, but that was more because I just suck at puzzle games.

BTW, speaking of New Super Mario Bros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lotBnv_q9d8
(this may be funnier if you've seen Squid Girl)

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 19th May 2014 01:34

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #206793
Posted: 25th August 2015 14:57

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Time to bring back this thread with a few more controversial opinions.

* it's perfectly okay for a PC game to not offer resolution options above 1080p, or run above 30fps.

* It's perfectly okay for a PC game to be best played or even only playable windowed.

* It's perfectly okay for a game to not have achievements.

* It's perfectly okay for a game on Steam to not have all or even any of the following: Steam achievements, Steam trading cards, Steam Cloud, (if multiplayer) multiplayer served through Steam (though the last one would be the nicest of these to have).

* It's perfectly fine for more NES-style classic-series Mega Man games to be made. The next entries from the Mega Man series have no requirement to be notably innovative/distinctive/novel.

I'm getting the sense lately that a number of gamers are irritatingly demanding.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th August 2015 14:57

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209513
Posted: 25th August 2015 18:18

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
The following have been stated often by me and I will explain them if asked.

I loathe FFVIII and FFX. FFXIII is also awful.

FFXIII was so awful for me, that I completely lost interest in any FF game afterword.

I totally agree with the latest bullet points from Glenn, and am annoyed when those are advertised selling points in a game.

The side scrolling classic Castlevania games trump the Metroidvania games (except for SOTN). I, for the first time in my life, beat Dracula in the first Castlevania game, and I thought they heard my howl of triumph from Japan.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #209515
Posted: 25th August 2015 21:17
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 25th August 2015 07:57)
I'm getting the sense lately that a number of gamers are irritatingly demanding.

user posted image

--------------------
Post #209516
Posted: 26th August 2015 02:12

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I'm sorry that this might upset people who think that reading takes too much effort, but voice acting also isn't necessary to make a game good, either.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #209518
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: