CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
CoNCAA 2012: The Phantom Menace in 3D!

Posted: 25th March 2012 19:31

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Illegally double-posting to say that yesterday's games (Louisville > Florida , Ohio State > Syracuse) resulted in the eliminations of Tiddles and Tidu. The Syracuse loss eliminated a lot of tie opportunities, and now myself and DP have the highest chance of winning...but still only 5/32 possibilities.

This is about to change as Kentucky is OBLITERATING Baylor, which will take out Nyte and Baralai and possibly other people. I will post again when the full Final Four is determined.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #199845
Posted: 25th March 2012 19:58

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Neal @ 25th March 2012 11:31)
Illegally double-posting to say that yesterday's games (Louisville > Florida , Ohio State > Syracuse) resulted in the eliminations of Tiddles and Tidu. The Syracuse loss eliminated a lot of tie opportunities, and now myself and DP have the highest chance of winning...but still only 5/32 possibilities.

This is about to change as Kentucky is OBLITERATING Baylor, which will take out Nyte and Baralai and possibly other people. I will post again when the full Final Four is determined.

Since I completely winged my bracket, I'm surprised I'm still in it.

Good luck to everyone else who's still in! And hopefully everyone is still enjoying watching, even if hopes of winning have faded.
Post #199846
Posted: 25th March 2012 21:51

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Kane @ 25th March 2012 20:58)
Good luck to everyone else who's still in! And hopefully everyone is still enjoying watching, even if hopes of winning have faded.

Thanks, good luck to you too. This year for some reason the games are not broadcast anywhere to UK people, so I've been enjoying refreshing the scores from time to time and imagining something really interesting happening.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #199848
Posted: 25th March 2012 23:39

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (sweetdude @ 25th March 2012 15:51)
Quote (Kane @ 25th March 2012 20:58)

Thanks, good luck to you too. This year for some reason the games are not broadcast anywhere to UK people, so I've been enjoying refreshing the scores from time to time and imagining something really interesting happening.

Yeah, unfortunately they limited feeds for the most part to US audiences only this year. It's pretty crummy.

After today's games, we lost Super Moogle, Baralai, Nate, DP, Mike, and Nyte, all for various reasons. This leaves us with five people left in the running for the championship. The really neat thing here is that there is no single combination of title game that gives us a clear winner - we won't know until the whole thing is over.

Neal - 2/8 scenarios remaining
I will win if Ohio State loses in the title game. Doesn't matter if it's to Kentucky or Louisville, Ohio State just has to go down. Unfortunately, this isn't what I really want to happen, but if it does...bonus.

Sweets - 2/8 scenarios remaining
Sweets wins if Ohio State wins in the title game. Like me, it doesn't matter if it's to Kentucky or Louisville...they just have to go all the way. In this regard, I guess I'm rooting for Sweets here.

Kane - 2/8 scenarios remaining
Kane wins if Kansas wins the title game. Nothing else matters as long as Kansas wins the whole things. This is the worst-case scenario. tongue.gif

Bobbo - 1/8 scenario remaining
Bobbo wins if Kentucky defeats Kansas in the title game. To me, this seems like the most logical result the way the tournament is playing itself out, but who knows!

Gabe - 1/8 scenario remaining
Gabe wins if Louisville defeats Kansas in the title game. This seems like a fairly unlikely scenario, but Louisville has been playing damn well so far, and the Big East Tournament winner has some recent history on its side.

WHO WILL WIN. I HOPE IT IS ME.

--------------------
Post #199850
Posted: 26th March 2012 01:06

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Neal @ 25th March 2012 14:31)

Sadness.

I would have laughed though had Syracuse made it. 3 out of 4 to the Final Four, after an out-and-out embarrassing bracket in the first few rounds. Oh well, it was not to be.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #199851
Posted: 26th March 2012 02:23

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
If I had to choose, I'd say Kansas falls to Kentucky in the final game, like Neal said, just looking at how the games are playing out. Then again, Ohio State continues to be a strong contender and might be being underestimated right now.

My performance in the pool was thoroughly mediocre, but I think that as a whole I had a lot of fun watching this year. Some might complain that the teams in the F4 are boring, predictable schools, and while I agree, I thought the game-to-game competition was strong and exciting. Good basketball all around.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #199853
Posted: 26th March 2012 05:44

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Kappa the Imp @ 25th March 2012 20:23)
If I had to choose, I'd say Kansas falls to Kentucky in the final game, like Neal said, just looking at how the games are playing out. Then again, Ohio State continues to be a strong contender and might be being underestimated right now.

My performance in the pool was thoroughly mediocre, but I think that as a whole I had a lot of fun watching this year. Some might complain that the teams in the F4 are boring, predictable schools, and while I agree, I thought the game-to-game competition was strong and exciting. Good basketball all around.

I definitely agree. Though the teams are all teams that have been there many, many times before, the level of play is pretty much unmatched from any years I can remember. I just wish it were this strong between, say, Purdue and Ohio rather than Kansas and UNC. smile.gif

If Ohio State does lose to Kentucky, points-wise this could be my best performance ever in the tournament. But I'm guessing that "risky" OSU over Kansas pick will bite me in the end.

--------------------
Post #199854
Posted: 1st April 2012 03:33

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
The final is set: Kansas and Kentucky. Of course, since my victory in this tournament rests on a Kansas "W," I'll be cheering for them.

They haven't been playing all that impressively, so there's more than a decent chance Kentucky's going to take it, but I'm still pretty excited as this is the first time I've ever had a conceivable chance of winning this late in the tournament.
Post #199915
Posted: 1st April 2012 03:56

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
In a weird way, it's nice to see the pool come all the way down to the wire. Good luck to both of you!

I'm still undecided about if that OSU-Kansas game was actually good. Until someone convinces me, I think I'll be remembering the game more for the sloppiness than the excitement.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #199916
Posted: 4th April 2012 03:37

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Bow before your bracket master!

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #199933
Posted: 4th April 2012 04:14

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
I had a chance at glory (if only Kansas could have stopped sucking for one full game), but instead I got 11th (or something equally dismal compared to the prospect of 1st place).

I concede defeat. sad.gif

Congratulations on your victory!
Post #199934
Posted: 4th April 2012 04:55

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Sabin @ 3rd April 2012 21:37)
Bow before your bracket master!

Congrats! Is this your first victory? Pretty sure you've participated every year since we started this, great that you're on the board!

--------------------
Post #199935
Posted: 4th April 2012 11:44

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Enjoy your awards, Sabin, Tiddles, and Tidu. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #199937
Posted: 4th April 2012 13:09

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I bronzed way back in '04, and have been floundering ever since. I would would just like to take this moment to thank Louisville for its accurately guessed Final 4 berth, Kansas for trashing hated UNC, Duke and Mizzou for going down in laughable fashion, and of course, Kentucky for being some damn easy to pick going the distance.

Not the most exciting tournament in recent memory, but it had its moments.

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #199938
Posted: 4th April 2012 20:43

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Unfortunately, this was the first tourney ever in which I didn't watch a single game. And it showed in my bracket's performance tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #199940
Posted: 5th April 2012 03:16

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 4th April 2012 06:44)

Woo! Awesome, it's been a long while since I placed in anything. I think I've also done this Tourney the last 7-8 years, and it took me this long to place.

And Tiddles got 2nd? Congrats! I didn't know you watched college bball, or really any sports. But then we haven't talked in years haha.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #199941
Posted: 5th April 2012 16:22

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Tidu-who @ 4th April 2012 23:16)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 4th April 2012 06:44)

Woo! Awesome, it's been a long while since I placed in anything. I think I've also done this Tourney the last 7-8 years, and it took me this long to place.

And Tiddles got 2nd? Congrats! I didn't know you watched college bball, or really any sports. But then we haven't talked in years haha.

I think he probably watched it about as much as I did... tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #199942
Posted: 5th April 2012 16:48

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Tidu-who @ 4th April 2012 22:16)

This is what I say every year - you don't have to be a basketball fan to do well, and some years it pays to not be. This is why I try to get everyone involved, not just the ten people who actually consider themselves fans; it's a lot more fun IMO when someone who really shouldn't do well does.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #199943
Posted: 6th April 2012 11:47

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
This is what happens when I use my own bizarre selection method instead of Raymond Chen's, apparently. I have absolutely no clue and have never watched a game in my life. smile.gif

Get some official CoN F1 pick 10 going and I will watch all the races. Otherwise, my sports contributions will continue to be blind luck. smile.gif
Post #199945
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: