CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Sidequesting

Posted: 13th October 2011 14:44

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
So I'm digging through the FFV section of the site these days because it's so lackluster, and I'm looking at ways of improving it. One way that I'd love to do would be to develop a group of miniguides for the game, much in the same way as we have for Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VII, for sections that might need more detail or are sidequesty. What parts of the game would lend themselves to that, in your opinion?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #197799
Posted: 13th October 2011 16:48

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I've nearly gotten everything on the game, including killing one of everything, and almost every item too. I could think of a few sidequests for the game. Getting all 8 songs, getting all 8 pianos, all magic, or miss-able items. Stuff like that would be great. thumbup.gif

--------------------
A creature born from eternal darkness and heavenly light. One single entity, birthed of two opposites. They somehow coexist, to create I, the Lunarian Prince...
Post #197800
Posted: 13th October 2011 17:24

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Technically a lot of stuff can be a sidequest, so I'm not sure what would be good for it. There are a ton of non-buyable summons that are optional and could be considered sidequesty. Fork Tower and Phoenix Tower are both optional. Hell, I think most (all?) of the stone slab dungeons are optional, too.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #197801
Posted: 13th October 2011 17:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
There's also the two super bosses that are optional (although they are covered in your walkthrough), lots of summons need special documentation because once you miss some of them you can't get them again (Ifrit, Titan, Shiva to name a few) and the underwater sidequest with Gogo. You need to use Boko for a sidequest "walking around the world" to get some item behind a waterfall. The optional dungeons mentioned by Neal like Phoenix Tower and the places where you get the legendary weapons are optional as well. I really like what you did with the FF4 page by letting the user pick which translation they're playing, but FF5 was also translated differently between releases, so maybe that too?

There's also new sidequests for the GBA version. Not sure what, I'll be playing FF5 Advance after I finish FF4 for PSP.
Post #197802
Posted: 13th October 2011 18:57

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Krisp @ 13th October 2011 12:53)
There's also the two super bosses that are optional (although they are covered in your walkthrough), lots of summons need special documentation because once you miss some of them you can't get them again (Ifrit, Titan, Shiva to name a few) and the underwater sidequest with Gogo. You need to use Boko for a sidequest "walking around the world" to get some item behind a waterfall. The optional dungeons mentioned by Neal like Phoenix Tower and the places where you get the legendary weapons are optional as well. I really like what you did with the FF4 page by letting the user pick which translation they're playing, but FF5 was also translated differently between releases, so maybe that too?

There's also new sidequests for the GBA version. Not sure what, I'll be playing FF5 Advance after I finish FF4 for PSP.

Yeah, it's worth noting that there's a lot changing in the FF5 section because it's just not up to our current standards. Feel free to mention anything whether it's currently in that section or not!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #197803
Posted: 13th October 2011 19:42

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Chicken Knife / Brave Blade, and chicken is not currently in our weapons database.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #197804
Posted: 13th October 2011 22:18

Returner

Island Shrine, Fork Tower, Great Sea Trench, Istory Falls, Phoenix Tower, Sunken Tower, Unknown Cave, Phantom Village, Sealed Temple for the GBA version, Piano, Shiva, Ramuh, Golem, Catoblepas, Carbuncle, 12 Sealed Weapons, North Mountain.

Hope this helps!
Post #197807
Posted: 13th October 2011 23:22

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Darn, I can't really think of any right now 9that haven't already been mentioned)... I think that qualifies as a reason to replay it!

--------------------
"My name is Atma...I am a power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form...Feeble creatures of flesh...Your time is nigh!"
Post #197808
Posted: 14th October 2011 04:07

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
A few people have brought up the rather interesting question of what exactly constitutes a sidequest. It's somewhat difficult to draw the line, so I'd like to add this new question into the thread.

Some sidequests, like the extra bosses and extra dungeons, are obvious sidequest material. You can only do them once your party is very strong, ie the end of the game, so there isn't much debate.

The non-plot towns, I think, constitute a good sidequest category, though they're a bit less obvious because they're hinted at in certain points of the game. Similarly, the things that bear no actual significance in plot or in battle, like the pianos, seem to fit into this category too.

The Great Sea Trench and the Fork Tower are suggested at a certain point in the game, making them feel a bit less sidequesty, but they aren't required. The player misses out on a fair bit by skipping them, however.

Several of the summons seem to be in that camp as well, as they aren't necessary but are very much helpful towards successful battle strategy. Thus it seems to make much more sense that the player go ahead and obtain them, which would make me think that they should be considered as part of the walkthrough proper.

I would say that, for our purposes, finding the twelve sealed weapons would definitely be considered part of the main walkthrough rather than a sidequest. It's a major organizing feature of the plot, which seems to make it a main walkthrough-worthy element.

As far as magic, songs etc are concerned, the corresponding sections seem, to me at least, to serve as a good enough source for information concerning them.

Like I said before, though, it's hard to draw the line.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #197809
Posted: 21st October 2011 14:51

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I think I'm leaning toward DP's point of view in general, but the posts in this thread have been really useful. I've actually started working on a few things that were pointed out here and I think they'll go a long way to improving the overall usability of the section.

Keep suggesting things if they come to you, though!

--------------------

Post #197875
Posted: 22nd October 2011 18:36

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
The Great Sea Trench and the Fork Tower are suggested at a certain point in the game, making them feel a bit less sidequesty, but they aren't required. The player misses out on a fair bit by skipping them, however.
I would say that, for our purposes, finding the twelve sealed weapons would definitely be considered part of the main walkthrough rather than a sidequest. It's a major organizing feature of the plot, which seems to make it a main walkthrough-worthy element.

I wouldn't call Fork Tower a sidequest if the Sealed Weapons don't count as one.
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
You have to destroy Fork Tower (by obtaining the ultimate White and Black magic spells) in order to uncover Catapult, so Cid can upgrade your airship with the ability to submerge which is required to obtain the third and fourth tablets.

--------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this sign. This sign loves you.
Post #197883
Posted: 26th December 2011 22:19

Returner

something else i havent seen mentioned in this thread that id like to see added are what id call Special Weapons ones that can noy be found in any chest or shop ect. there is about 12 of them not including the Genji Equipment as just about every knows about them a good example would be Spear which can only be stolen from Shell Bears before you transform a certain castle on W2 i have a list of them also so PM me if interested i even have final locations for them
Post #198689
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: