CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Wutai & Enemy Skill

Posted: 6th August 2013 14:57

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Hey everyone... new to the forums here and have a question I can't seem to find properly answered around the web.

I'm replaying FF7 for the first time since I originally got it back when it was new. Well, at least fully replaying the game, I think I may have started a couple of times, got a few hours into it, and gave up.

I just finished the Temple of Ancients, next stop Sleeping Forest.

I'm trying to get as close to completion as possible, though I doubt I'll ever score 5000 points at Speed Square in the Gold Saucer, but I at least want to master all four Enemy Skill materia.

In order to do so, as the site here says, I need to have all four of them before I fight Godo. I have also read that at some point, the Wutai side quests become unavailable.

I need to get the one @ the Chocobo Sage and the one at the Forgotten Capital.

Which one of those can I get first? Most places list the Chocobo Sage as 3rd, but isn't the Forgotten Capital my next stop after the Sleeping Forest?

When is the earliest I can get to the Chocobo Sage? Will it be by the Highwind, or will I be able to breed Chocobos first?

And when do the Wutai side quests become unavailable?

I've found tons of info on the web about Enemy Skill materia locations and when/where to learn missable skills, but nothing really describes the point in time where you will be able to obtain all four materia and still do the Wutai quests.
Post #204102
Posted: 6th August 2013 15:25

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I don't think you can get to the Chocobo Sage until disc 2 since you need either the Highwind or a Gold Chocobo to get there if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure the Pagoda sidequest is still available at that point though.

Edit: I just checked again and you can do the Pagoda sidequest even on disc 3.

This post has been edited by Cefca on 6th August 2013 19:04
Post #204105
Posted: 8th August 2013 16:33

Returner

Awards:
Thanks...

I'm on Disc 2 now and I got all four Enemy Skill materia and Trine on each one.

In case anyone reads this in the future with a similar concern here's some info:

If you're aiming to master all four Enemy Skill materia, as described on CoN and many other places, you have to wait until you have all four of them before you do the second side quest (the Pagoda) in Wutai. That's the only possible way you can learn Trine on the fourth Enemy Skill. You can complete the first side quest, the Materia Thief, anytime you'd like. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to do that one earlier in the game since there are items/materia to be gained.

The third Enemy Skill materia is obtained near the end of Disc 1 in the City of Ancients / Forgotten City. Its location is in the walk-through and is easy to find.

On Disc 2 in the Gaea's Cliffs area, you can learn Trine (and Magic Breath if you so desire) from the monster Stilva. He's a random encounter, but he seems not to appear farther into this area. A good place to find him is around the chest that contains the Ribbon. I just walked in circles around the chest and ran into Stilva a few times easily. I noticed he casts Magic Breath a lot more than Trine (and it hurts a lot more than Trine!). To be honest, I'm not even sure if he casts Trine on his own. A good technique would be to use Manipulate on Stilva as soon as the battle starts, force him to cast Trine on you, and take him out as quick as possible.

I highly recommend using this opportunity to learn Trine on the three Enemy Skill materia you currently have. This way when you get the fourth and do the second Wutai side quest, you don't have to waste materia slots equipping more than one Enemy Skill.

The fourth Enemy Skill materia is located at the Chocobo Sage's house, you'll figure out exactly where quite easily. Your first opportunity to get there is on Disc 2 after you obtain the Highwind and are free to fly where you please. Once you have the ship, fly on over to the Chocobo Sage, grab the fourth Enemy Skill, and head to Wutai for the Pagoda side quest.

Remember, you can equip multiple Enemy Skill materia on one character at the same time. As long as you haven't already learned a skill on one of the equipped materia, you will learn it on each one equipped. However, if you already have a skill on one of your equipped materia, you will not learn it on the other one(s). This is why it's a good idea to use Stilva to learn Trine on the first three, since you can fight him as many times as you need.

Another thing you can do once you have the Highwind, which will greatly help you on the Wutai Pagoda side quest, is get yourself the Quadra Magic materia. You'll need to take advantage of a glitch in order to do so, but it's quite easy and well worth it.

This post has been edited by RoBDaWG on 8th August 2013 16:40
Post #204128
Posted: 8th August 2013 20:17

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Quote (RoBDaWG @ 8th August 2013 16:33)
To be honest, I'm not even sure if he casts Trine on his own. A good technique would be to use Manipulate on Stilva as soon as the battle starts, force him to cast Trine on you, and take him out as quick as possible.

Manipulating Stilva is the only way to get it to use Trine; it never uses it by itself.

This post has been edited by Cefca on 8th August 2013 20:17
Post #204130
Posted: 22nd August 2013 15:47

Returner

Awards:
As I have no where else to gloat, I'll do it here...

Woo Hoo!

Mastered all four Enemy Skill materia!
Post #204316
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: