CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
So I got myself a Shaker...

Posted: 24th March 2006 03:17

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
...been looking for one for quite a while. This is a damned good one, stainless steel and all (which makes a world of difference!)

I realize a lot of CoN's members aren't of drinking age (especially those of you american, what with the legal age being 21 there and all.) But then again, I know some of you are. And you people are the target audience for this thread! We're talking people who've had a little more experience than taking a sip from daddy's beer here, not even "drank like... woah man, must've been ten shooters of vodka at this dude's house... or was that rum?"

One thing I do well, other than programming and rom hacking, is mixing drinks. In fact, one of my bigger future projects is to open a nice, "oldschool" wooden-tables-and-counters bar, maybe 5-10 years from now. I wouldn't be making these plans if I didn't have quite a bit of knowhow and interest when it comes to drinks. I'm always eager to learn how to mix new things. And of course, to sample whatever newfound bits of knowledge drift my way. ;P

So... this is the drinks thread. I'm hoping to make this a learning experience for everyone contributing; like I said, I'm always eager to expand my knowledge. I'm hoping for a lil' more than "lol so like jerry and I had some tequilla and gin and rum left over and we mixed it with 7-up, and it was ok i guess we call it a devil's urine lol"...

I'll get the ball rolling with a few variations on classics everyone's heard of but probably never knew how to mix.

MANHATTAN
1 pt Dry Vermouth
2 pt Rye Whisky
1 Dash Angostura Bitters
1 Maraschino (sp?) cherry
Put some ice (a few ice cubes, or about 1/3 a cup of crushed ice) in a shaker and add the vermouth, whisky, and bitters. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass (or if you don't want to feel fruity carrying a cocktail glass around, just dump the damned thing into a rocks glass with ice. wink.gif ) Garnish with the cherry.

There exist plenty of variations on this classic new york-style martini. Some variations exclude the bitters from the mix, substitute an olive for the cherry, or add/substitute sweet vermouth. Orange bitters instead of angostura. Many use bourbon, which is just delightful from my experience. The basic recipe is rye whiskey/bourbon, vermouth, bitters (sometimes optional), and garnish of some sort (typically the cherry or gangster-style olive.)

Mahattans are easy to drink. They originate (or so goes the accepted story) from a bar called the Manhattan Club in the late 19th century. Old? Yeah. But so is just about every good drink out there. The drink was mixed during a cocktail party to celebrate the election of the Governor of New York (Samuel Tilden, I believe.)

SIDECAR
2pt Brandy
2pt Cointreau
2pt Curacao
1pt Lemon Juice
Fill a shaker with ice and combine the ingredients in it. Shake. Strain into a cocktail glass. If you're feeling fancy, garnish with a lemon rind.

Like the Manhattan, there are many variations on the Sidecar. I believe it was invented in Paris, made for a patron who often rode in the sidecar of a motorcycle. It's quite old (early 20th century, hey I wasn't born, that's old enough for me!) Just about every variation I know of involve cointreau and lemon juice, and traditional sidecars are made with brandy. It's a drink that should warm your palate but go down easy.

I've read that sidecars are pretty much margaritas made with brandy. Although I do have the necessary ingredients at home to mix margaritas (one of my favorite drinks, mariachi-style wink.gif ) I don't currently have brandy. I will tomorrow, however, and I'll post my findings. >"<

(Edit: Badly typoed the dosage for something. This would've resulted in the death of a small nation. smile.gif )

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 24th March 2006 03:18

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #111787
Posted: 24th March 2006 03:49

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm not really much on mixed drinks myself and I believe that I enjoy drinking way too much to make a good bartender, but here's one my friend made for me that was surprisingly good.

Liquid Cocaine

1 Part Amaretto
4 parts Southern Comfort
1 Part Pineapple Juice

Easy enough right? Serve in a rocks glass with or without ice. It's surprising how easy this drink goes down with 2/3 of it being the SoCo. I suppose it's one that you wouldn't really realize how good it is until you've tried it.

--------------------
"Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard; be evil."
Post #111793
Posted: 24th March 2006 04:03

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Shakers are definately a great tool for the alcoholics in us all, nevermind that no house-party is complete without one.

I guess I'll share a few drinks I've enjoyed since I started my drinking adventure.

Vampire's Kiss

2 oz vodka
1/2 oz dry gin
1/2 oz dry vermouth
2 tbsp tequila
1 pinch salt
1 pinch paprika
2 oz tomato juice

You just add this all together with ice into your shaker, strain it over with the ice and pour it into a reasonably sized glass to enjoy. I wouldn't recommend having too many of these though. Alternately, you can have "The Vegan Vampire", which is the same drink only using V8 instead of Tomato juice, it's just as good.

Blue Lagoon

1 oz vodka
1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
lemonade
1 cherry
1 tbsp sugar

Shake without ice and pour over ice in a highball glass. Fill the rest of the glass up with lemonade, top with the cherry and serve. It's more of a "chick drink" but it tastes damn good regardless.

Irish Car Bomb

3/4 pint Guinness stout
1/2 shot Bailey's Irish cream
1/2 shot Jameson Irish whiskey

Pour your Bailey's into a shot glass, then add in the Jameson ontop. Then, seperately pour the Guiness into a beer mug about 3/4 of the way then let it sit for a second. Empty the shot glass into the beer mug and chug that sucker down. This is the kind of drink that gets worse as time goes, especially after your first or second, so drink it quick.

Alaska
- 1 1/2 oz Gin
- 3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
- 2 dash(es) Orange Bitters

Start with the gin into your shaker and work your way down the ingriedients list, mixing them into a shaker with crushed ice. Shake well, strain into glass and enjoy.

This post has been edited by Dragon_Fire on 24th March 2006 04:08

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #111795
Posted: 24th March 2006 04:04
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Most of my cocktails are heavier on juice/milk than on the liquor. happy.gif

Chocolate Oz
1 part vodka
2 parts iced milk
1 part dark creme de cacao
chocolate syrup

Grand Soy (this one's my favourite)
5 parts chocolate soy milk
2 parts kahlua
1 part Grand Marnier

Comfort Punch
1 part Southern Comfort
1 part Amaretto
2 parts orange juice
2 parts peach juice
1 maraschino cherry

Angelico
2 parts Frangelico
2 parts light creme de cacao
1 part lemon juice

San Diego Beach
3 parts pineapple juice
1 part sake
1 part sour apple pucker

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #111796
Posted: 24th March 2006 04:09

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Anyone who knows me knows I enjoy Crown Royal. I typically drink it on the rocks or mixed with Sprite/7-Up, however on a rare occasion I'll get a real mixed drink with it. That mixed drink?

Royal F***

1 oz Crown Royal Canadian whisky
1/2 oz Absolut Kurant vodka
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1 splash cranberry juice
1 splash pineapple juice

Serve in a shot glass, or multiply the ingredients for a larger glass. Though, shots really are the best way to go with that drink.

This post has been edited by Hanyou on 24th March 2006 04:46

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #111797
Posted: 24th March 2006 06:39

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm not of drinking age, but that doesn't mean I don't have some favorite mixed drinks.

Blue Hawaiian

1 oz rum
1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz coconut juice / cream of coconut (the cream's better, but juice is way cheaper)
1 cup of crushed ice
1 cherry

Sex on the Beach

1 oz vodka
1 oz peach schnapps
3 oz cranberry juice
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
a few ice cubes

Long Island Iced Tea
(this is strong stuff, at least for me, so be careful)

1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz rum
1/4 oz coca cola
a few ice cubes
lemon slice

Sure, they're all sissy drinks, but I prefer my alcohol to be delicious.

--------------------
Post #111805
Posted: 24th March 2006 08:20

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Oooo I like this topic! Here's a few drinks I invented:

Fairy's Blood Martini

1 oz white rum
1 oz Amaretto (Disarranno works best)
1 oz Blueberry juice
1/2 oz Cherry brandy

Corpse Grinder

1 oz Whiskey
1 oz Blue Curacao
1 oz Chartreuse or Galliano
Pour over ice and fill with Coke

or try the Martini version, the Corpsicle

1 oz Whiskey
1 oz Blue Curacao
1 oz Chartreuse or Galliano

Cinderella's Evil Step-mother

1 oz Sourpus Apple
1 oz Jaegermeister
Pour over ice, fill with Coke

This one I did not invent but was introduced ot me by an old work buddy:

Brain Hemmorage (shooter)

Peppermint Schnapps
Irish Cream (floater)
Grenadine (just a little bit poured into the irish cream)

it actually looks like a brain that has burst a blood vessel!

This post has been edited by ultimage on 24th March 2006 08:22

--------------------
Do you think we're forever?
Post #111806
Posted: 24th March 2006 14:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Aha, I was beaten to the car bomb, I see.

I really don't drink mixed drinks very often. As you would know from the beer thread I posted back in the day, I prefer either relaxing with a few bottles or drinking my liquor more or less neat or rocks. And since I was beaten to my favorite, the car bomb, I don't have much else to contribute.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #111819
Posted: 24th March 2006 16:59
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I enjoy a drink, something of which I believe those who chat regularly are beginning to realise, and while I never really got around to appreciating a cool beer as such, I do like my liquor (though my relative inexperience and 16-year-old, 117lb-frame directly affect my tolerance).
Being underage, however, I'm somewhat limited as to where I can drink, and thus am I limited to either what is probably the sorriest pub in Britain, or drinking at a friend's house, as well as ocassionally popping into the odd nightpub (I say nightpub because nightclub implies that people do things do other than drink), which in turn directly affects the drinks I can sample.
Though while, and I must note that compared to practically everyone I know, I'm a rather flamboyant drinker, my boozial palette is usually limited to cider, Baileys, Jack Daniels (with or without Coke), Southern Comfort, Pimms, Malibu, cheap alcopops and whatever shot's going - oh, and there was that night with the bottle of Martini, something I'm rather put off of - I did chance upon a rather appealing cocktail that I had the good fortune of sampling, known as the Trotski. It consists of Red Bull, vodka and espresso coffee, and after a few at what by our standards is a rather posh nightpub, I was suitably buzzed. It's worth a try, and is pretty easy for anyone to make at home.
That said, my favourite drink will forever remain a cool glass of Bailey's with ice.
Post #111822
Posted: 24th March 2006 19:25

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
And I was expecting a joke about the Shakers of American history.

Quote (Dragon_Fire)
Vampire's Kiss

2 oz vodka
1/2 oz dry gin
1/2 oz dry vermouth
2 tbsp tequila
1 pinch salt
1 pinch paprika
2 oz tomato juice

I have a comment on that name: Try drinking that and playing Dracula XX: the Vampire's Kiss for SNES. Who knows? Maybe you'll play a stiff Richter Belmont better while drunk.

Also, the "Irish Car Bomb" is probably the funniest name I've seen so far in this thread. "Cinderella's Evil Step-Mother" takes a close second, for being ridiculous.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #111828
Posted: 24th March 2006 23:12

Cetra

Awards:
Well... I was hoping for drinks a little more "official" than something someone came up with during a party (origins and comments are always insightful info,) but whatever. wink.gif

@Dragon_Fire:
I had a blue lagoon once. It was horrible. ;D Well, it was the pre-mixed kind of drink, which makes a world of difference. I had the bright idea of adding some Arak to it (basically Ouzo), which turned it bright pink and made it far worse. I'm going to try your take on it sometime though, I've been meaning to try a real one to see if it's good...

@Karasuman:
I googled "Frangelico," having never heard of it. Turns out they have that stuff at the local liquor store (I recognized the bottle.) Their website has a few interesting-looking recipes. I'd pick some up on my next trip down there in a few hours, but my "grocery list" is already kinda loaded. Next time, I suppose. I definately have to try this thing though.

@laszlow:
Yeaaaah! Long island iced tea! A friend of mine loves these. The funny thing is, I've mixed her dozens of them and never actually drank any. She likes ginger ale in hers, instead of the coke. Might be an interesting variation...

@ultimage:
That brain thingie doesn't surprise me. I might be wrong, but I believe peppermint schnapps is slightly acidic. Here's a tip for anyone trying out stuff: never mix creamy and acidic. It causes the cream to curl, often creating a solid that's not quite pleasing to the senses. A college buddy of mine is fond of a drink that involves baileys in vodka and something else (lemon juice? 7-up? I dunno...) which causes the baileys to form a "brain."

COSMOPOLITAN
4pt Vodka
2pt Triple Sec
2pt Cranberry Juice
1pt Lime Juice
Yet another simple drink. Shake along with some ice and pour in a cocktail glass. Decorate with a lime rind. If you're male, now would be a good time to come out of the closet. Drink must be light pink. Otherwise, you put too much cranberry juice. If you don't feel fruity, it ain't a proper Comso. wink.gif

Cosmos aren't very old. I believe they originate from the early 80s. Frankly, I don't know much about the history of this cocktail and I'd love any information people might have. All's I know is that the TV show "Sex and the City" is what made it popular.

PALM BEACH
4pt Dry Gin
1pt Italian Vermouth
1pt Grapefruit Juice
Shake with ice a few seconds. Strain into a cocktail glass. This is getting kinda repetitive. ;P Serve slightly chilled; this drink doesn't actually require much preperation, the ice in the shaker should take care of everything.

A very mellow drink. Has a bit of a sweet-and-sour taste to it, IMO. This is one of those cocktails you drink slowly while chilling with some cute girl you like to some good music. wink.gif Iron Maiden - Brave New World comes to mind. Works best during cool summer/fall evenings on an appartment balcony. Best served before the place goes up in flames. Not that I'm referring to anything specific here.

Edit: Remember my first post about how I read you can just make a margarita with brandy and end up with a sidecar? Tried it. It's sweeter, but almost the same. Not quite though. Still packs a decent slightly bitter kick coated in "sweet" lemony goodness though. biggrin.gif Gonna keep that in mind. Plus, all's I could get was blue curacao, which gave me a weeeeird windshield-washer greenish-blue drink. Didn't taste too different though.

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 25th March 2006 02:16

--------------------
Post #111850
Posted: 22nd April 2006 22:30

Cetra

Awards:
I mixed my first dry martini last night. Never been much of a gin fan, personally, but I ended up with a bottle of london dry and gave it a shot. Turns out being quite easy to mix.

DRY MARTINI
2 oz Dry gin
1/2 oz Extra dry vermouth
1 cocktail olive
Pour the gin and vermouth in a chilled martini glass and stir for a few moments. Add a cocktail olive.

Some people don't like the olive. But then again, some people are mentally ill and end up locked away, never to be heard from again. Lots of people in the world, y'know? Anyway, if someone complains about the olive, beat them with the gin bottle. Naw, vermouth, less expensive... The olive soaks up the martini's taste and leaves a slightly salty after-taste that all but masks the pine-like taste of gin. It's very tasty. But seriously, the olive is optional. A twist of lemon or a cocktail onion work too.

You can also shake ("Shaken, not stirred...") it. Fill the bottom of a shaker with crushed ice if you do, and shake vigorously but briefly.

The history of the martini is somewhat unknown. Some would say it started with a drink called the Martinez around the late mid-1800s. I don't quite remember what goes in it, but it used red vermouth (which was later replaced by white vermouth) and a cherry instead of an olive (SINFUL! blink.gif)

In the late 1880s, a recipe for a drink called the Martinez was found in a bartending book. Seemed a bit more mahattan-like though, using maraschino cherries and such. I don't remember the recipe though. My memory is decent, but not that good. tongue.gif

Other stories suggest it comes from the Martini and Henry rifle of the early 1870s because both the rifle and the drink shared the same strong kick.

But the most reliable suggestion is this: in 1911, the Knickerbocker Hotel in NY served a drink that called for equal parts london dry gin, vermouth, and some orange bitters. Chilled on ice, strained into a chilled glass. The regulars at the hotel were the ones who added the olive, sweet, sweet, tastebud-pleasing olive. How'd it get its name? The barman's name was Martini di something whatever di other.

Lovely little drink, that. We share the same name, save for one letter. tongue.gif

--------------------
Post #114445
Posted: 9th June 2006 20:57

Cetra

Awards:
As some of you may know, I'm heavily into drinksmixing (particularly classic cocktails, none of that stupid crap that sounds like it's from a porno (sex on the beach? nipple twister? screaming orgasm? Sure they have purdy colors, but they're sissy drinks! biggrin.gif). Lately I've been reluctant to try an old classic because of the amount of Campari Bitters that goes into it: a lot. But recently I gave it a shot and I was surprised at the results. So much, in fact, that I decided I'd share the recipe with my fellow CoNers.

Negroni
1oz Gin
1oz Red Vermouth
1oz Campari Bitters

Prepare a rocks glass by adding a couple of ice cubes and generous amounts of
lemon and/or oranges slices. Pour in the ingredients and stir briefly.

The Negroni is an extremely bitter drink. It's a bit of an acquired taste - I'm on my second one, and already it's starting to be somewhat enjoyable. It's hard to get used to the sharp, citrus-like bitterness of Campari, but once you do it unveils a very delicate flavor that's almost like grapefruit. It's hard on the tastebuds but like I said, it's an acquired taste.

The lemon/orange slices are my addition - the actual recipe calls for a twist of lemon as garnish.

The original Negroni recipe is shaken and calls for 0.75oz red vermouth and a burnt orange as garnish (the famous squeeze-the-peel-and-light-the-juices thing.) It's somewhat drier but quite good - worth a try if you have the time for one.

Invented around the same time the dry martini was in the early 1900s, the Negroni has absolutely nothing to do with african-americans. wink.gif It was named after Camillo Negroni, from Florance, who always ordered this cocktail. It's an aperitif used to stimulate the apetite, but it's also great for cooling down in the summer heat.

Feeling daring? Try a Negroni. wink.gif

(Over here in Canada, a ~25oz (750ml) bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin (best kind smile.gif ) goes for about $20-25. A large bottle of red vermouth goes for about $10-12. Same for Campari. Your local SAQ will have all that you need for this drink. If you're in the US or elsewhere, I dunno. You guys have better liquor stores. smile.gif )

Edit
Might want to inform people when you're moving a post, mods. Particularly if the thread you're moving it to has been dead for over a month.

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 9th June 2006 21:12

--------------------
Post #119422
Posted: 26th June 2006 23:14

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Come now don't let this thread fade away!

I have been experimenting with some combinations and here is what I have.

1 'Tilt'
1oz Tanqueray

I call it the 'Thing' due to it's orange coloring and the fact that it packs a punch. Try it!

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #121478
Posted: 27th June 2006 00:10

Cetra

Awards:
Lately I've been experimenting with martinis. I thought I'd share my findings.

First off, a quick little tip. If you want to chill a cocktail glass, put ice in it and fill it with soda. It'll chill over quickly while you work with your ingredients - just toss out the ice and soda when you're done and give the glass a good shake or two.

A little rant to introduce the Martini. Back in the 60s-70s, Smirnoff started selling its vodka in america. People took an instant liking to their vodka (vodka being, as should (but isn't) be well known, watered-down neutral grain spirits - hardly anything worth drinking if you've even breifly experienced other "real" alcohols!) because it mixes with just about anything (vodka being swill with no actual taste - who needs to worry about balance when there's no actual taste to balance it with, eh?) Sadly, the popularity of vodka made it so that people would attempt classic cocktails with it. One of these was the martini, in which the gin can be substituted for vodka.

The problem is that, a martini is a martini because gin's spicy crisp taste meets with vermouth's dry, subdued taste at a halfway point just short of perfection. Vodka isn't crisp nor spicy - it's tasteless, hence there's no blending to be acheived with the vermouth. And so people have been using less and less vermouth to the point where most barmans have this horrible misconception that a martini should be made with as little vermouth as possible (sometimes as little as a whisper!) Wrong!

I'd like to introduce two different kinds of vermouth: Stock, which is extra dry, and Noily Prat, which is dry.

A (gin-based, of course; a martini made with vodka is a vodkatini, not a martini!) martini made with Stock should use between 1/8th to 1/4 of an ounce of vermouth per ounce of london dry gin used. A good proportion is 2oz of gin vs about 1/2 an ounce of vermouth. Stir gently, strain into your cocktail glass, and enjoy. It has a very sharp taste and is throughoutly enjoyable.

A martini made with Noily Prat requires less vermouth. You can't use the same proportions as with Stock because Prat is only dry, not extra dry. The first time I used Prat, I made it just like I would've with Stock - terrible. It was slightly sweet-flavored, the taste of the gin was crushed, and it ressembled NOTHING like a martini. I'd say roughly half as much Prat as you'd use Stock is fine, maybe a touch more than that at best.

Yep. The brand makes a huge difference. tongue.gif

Next, garnishing. There are two traditional martini garnishes: a twist of lemon and an olive. We're all familiar with the olive on a toothpick - just skewer an olive and drop it into your cocktail glass. The olive will soak in some of the gin's spicyness and acquire a very unique taste - this is the kind of martini you enjoy to some jazz and low lighting at the end of a long day.

The twist of lemon gives it a much stronger taste, however. First you cut off a peel of lemon (avoid the white stuff - the pith - as that's bitter; just keep the yellow stuff and as little pith as you can.) Then you simply hold it over the martini and give it a little twist. This releases the oils in the peel and makes them float atop your martini. Then drop the peel into the glass - plop. The first few sips will have a very lemony-oily flavor (think "Limoncello") which jerks your palate into receiving the gin's spicyness predominantly over all other tastes.

That, of course, is just the basics. Crafting a martini is an art. wink.gif Care to guess what my favorite cocktail is? happy.gif

In spirit of the thread, here's a cocktail I experienced last weekend. Martini-style.

Broadway Martini
2.5oz London Dry Gin
0.5oz Creme de Menthe (white)

Build in a mixing glass with plenty of ice. Stir gently with the back end of
a spoon (to prevent "floaties" from the ice.) Strain into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a sprig of mint ("activate" the mint by laying it flat in the
palm of your hand and giving it a sharp smack (clap your hands) before
garnishing the drink.)

Very minty drink. I used Kuyper Creme de Menthe - it meets the gin at some point where both flavors seem to complement each other. The minty taste seems to overpower the gin a bit though, so you might want to experiment with just how much creme de menthe you add.

--------------------
Post #121488
Posted: 6th April 2007 03:34

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I was just in chat talking about a drink I made up last night , so I thought I'd post it here.

Edit- ACK, posting, hit reply too soon

Bird of Paradise
4oz- Five Alive (It's a brand of juice thats pretty sparse around the USA.I live in Buffalo, and it's a Canadian drink, so I make out ok. For the record, it's the original citrus kind.)

2oz Tequila

1-2oz of maraschino cherry syrup

Throw it all together, shake well, and serve over ice in a highball glass, preferably.
it should be a pink color. If it isn't, add more syrup I suppose. The measurements are estimated, because we were just tossing them together last night, and those are the estimates.

It's a damn good drink. If you can get your hands on Five Alive, and don't mind the blow to your manhood that comes from drinking a pink mixture, you'll probably enjoy it.

This post has been edited by MogMaster on 6th April 2007 03:43

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #147476
Posted: 6th April 2007 20:12

Cetra

Awards:
Sounds very sweet (in the sweet/bitter/salty/whatever the other one is, I forgot, sense.) Considerably sweet. Maraschino syrup has an almost irritating sweet taste, and that sounds a bit weird with Tequilla (but then again, there are tequilla-based cocktails with sweet ingredients - Tequilla Sunrise for one.) But aside from that, it sounds like a simple, efficient cocktail. Well-worth trying this weekend if I come across some 5-alive. smile.gif

While drunk/stoned/whatever with a friend of mine, we came up with an interesting cocktail using Takama (a peruvian spirit akin to brandy I mentionned in another thread a little while back.)

Takama Blitz
1.0 oz Takama
0.5 oz Blue Curacao
0.5 oz Cointreau
0.5 oz Lemon Juice
Shake with plenty of ice and strain into a rocks glass. Serve on the rocks with a wedge of orange and a maraschino cherry.

It's a bit fruity, with two orange-based liquors, fruit as garnish, and lemon juice being ingredients. Garnish can vary - dump a bunch of fruits in there if you're keen on turning your cocktail into a fruit salad, I guess; somewhat like an Old Fashioned.

I've been very partial to Gin Fizzes and their variations lately.

Gin Fizz
1.0 oz Gin
1 Lemon
1 Sugar Cube
Perrier
Shake all but the Perrier with ice. Strain into a highball. Top with the Perrier. Optionally, you can rim the edges of the glass with caster sugar.

Easy to mix and very refreshing. Adjust the gin to your liking. The gin fizz originated in the late 1800s, when the boston shaker made its appearance in bars. If pressed for a year I'd say 1887, give or take 5 years, but I don't remember the exact year as such. I believe, in fact, this is one of the first (if not the first) shaken cocktails.

Variations include the silver fizz (add an egg white before shaking), golden fizz (egg yellow), and royal fizz (whole egg.) The white foams up the drink considerably and the yellow adds a rich, creamy taste. Personally I prefer silver fizzes (egg white foam's kinda cool smile.gif ) or the plain form.

Neat drink during the summer. If only it'd stop frikin' snowing in the middle of april over here...

(Edit: Minor mishap with yours truly's memory.)

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 6th April 2007 20:14

--------------------
Post #147488
Posted: 9th April 2007 04:48

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Blech...I don't know how you can drink so much Gin Silverlance. It tastes like peppered pine needles! Pretty much the only basic alcohol I don't like.

Here's something very simple we cooked up thursday night:

Apple Pie

1 Gallon apple cider
1 Gallon apple juice
10 cinnamon sticks
1 liter of Everclear

Combine the cider, juice, and cinnamon sticks into a large pot. Cook until boiling. Add the bottle of Everclear, and let it ferment one to two days in the fridge. Can be served chilled, or heated up (like apple cider).

Makes about seven 750 liter bottles worth. There were 7 of us, so it worked out perfectly. This stuff goes down like nothing, it tastes amazing. It's a drink to sip on the side, a bit sweet to just drink it all at once. We played games that involved giving shots and used the Apple Pie for it which again, go down incredibly easy. So be careful!!

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #147587
Posted: 9th April 2007 09:08

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Massive heads-up on the Frangelico; it plays nice with other drinks and makes a killer dessert ingredient.

Carrot Cake:

1/3 Baileys
1/3 Frangelico
1/3 Hot Shot*

This is a big hit over here, but I'm not sure you can find Hot Shot over there (too common to Google). It's got the same overall taste and scent as your average red jawbreaker, so if there's anything resembling it, try to find it. Any kind of cinnamon schnapps will do.

Any variation of the B52 (Tia Maria, Baileys, Grand Marnier, poured in layers) is great fun, but make sure you're a sober bartender when making these; you don't want to play around with fire when you're drinking together. I like the "B55" the best. Partly because I like the taste of absinthe, but mostly because it burns like crazy and the B52's mainly a gimmick drink in my book. Wikipedia if you're not familair with the thing.

Never mix milk/cream-based products with Coke; while the taste remains unaffected, you'll have a hard time selling the result in any other fashion than a "dare" smile.gif

Pretty much it; I like my drinks pure!

--------------------
Post #147591
Posted: 10th April 2007 08:02

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Special Prize in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
try this

Purple F*ckface

Equal Parts Blue Alize & Pomegranete Euphoria liquor

Shake Vigirously over ice
serve in 2 oz shot glasses.

gets a person messed up quick

this next one isnt particulary a a shaken drink but its still awesome

its a variation on the old B-52 but ya

so its 1/3 Kahula
1/3 Baileys
1/3 151 rum

light the rum on fire and drink it

we called it "Bombs over Bagdad"
due to the oil (kahlua) Sand (Baileys) and burning (151)
we started drinkin that one right after the war started.

--------------------
he who makes a beast out of himself takes away the pain of being a man. Raoul Duke (Hunter S Thompson)

I've seen the Rockies, ive seen Saskatoon - Comin Home - City and Colour
Post #147690
Posted: 10th April 2007 08:30

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet:

White Russian
2oz Vodka
2oz Coffee Liqueur (Kahlua)
4oz Half and Half/Milk/Heavy Cream

(I like mine a little heavier on the milk side)

Serve on ice in a old fashioned glass.

A variation of the White Russian I've discovered is the Red Rabbit Russian, which is essentially the same thing, except with the addition of strawberry syrup. (Nestle has that rabbit pushing their Syrup, which is where the name comes from.) I was actually pretty happy with that one.

White Russians in general are my drink of choice. They're easy to make, and have cheap ingredients. Who could ask for more? Oh, wait, they're also delicious.

--------------------
Don't you be tarot-fied,
~Frank Zappa

Post #147692
Posted: 10th April 2007 14:27

Cetra

Awards:
@Tidu-who:
Gin comes from juniper, which is what makes it so pine-like. In a properly-prepared cocktail, it's the best spirit. On its own, it can be a little harsh to the untrained palate, as would any other spirit. If you're into drier tastes, I'd suggest Tanqueray. If you prefer a richer, slightly sweeter taste, try Bombay Sapphire. There's a big difference between good and bad gin: one of them tastes like crap, the other doesn't. wink.gif

@Djibriel:
Hot Shots sound like Goldschlager or maybe some kind of Geldwasser.

Acidic/alkaline liquids curdle cream. Various kinds of alcohol do it too. Never add lemon juice to a creamy liquor (baileys, godiva, tequilla rose, etc...) or you'll end up with a wrinkled, solid mass that's not unlike a ball of cat puke. There's a cocktail that takes advantage of this, the haemorraging brain. IIRC, it's baileys in schnapps with grenadine syrup poured over it. Doesn't taste as bad as it looks though.

Great call on the B52 - I love that drink. smile.gif

@MogMaster:
The reason white russians haven't been brought up is because they're a sissy drink. biggrin.gif ...Kidding. But it's a milder drink regardless - great for quiet little evenings. I prefer black russians myself (white russian sans cream and with more vodka than kaluha.) Used to be my favorite cocktail.

I'm not sure if this stuff exists in your area, but there's a liquor called Ramazotti (spelling may be off a bit.) It's a black licorice liquor that goes very well with milk. Worth trying. wink.gif

This weekend for easter I was over at my mother's, whose bar isn't too well-stocked. I ended up making a "brown rum fizz." Basically a gin fizz with brown rum and a bit more lemon juice than normal. Came out great - the 'ol fizz trick always works when you're presented with limited ingredients to mix a drink.

--------------------
Post #147701
Posted: 15th April 2007 05:46

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
I'm actually not much of a drinker. I just hang out with drunks.

Barn Owl

5 oz Apple Cider (Or juice if you're in a pinch.)
2.5 shots Apple Rum.
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Ginger(wtf?)

This actually turned out delicious. I boiled up some Apple Juice (I didn't have cider, but I can tell it would be far better with cider,) and while it was boiling, I tossed a few dashes of cinnamon in it, and a single dash of Ginger. I can't exactly remember what my logic was. My guess is the Ginger could easily be skipped. I just listed it as an ingredient because it's what I used. If anything, it had a subtle impact, I'd say. Anyhow, I boiled it with the cinnamon for a couple minutes. I didn't take long to heat up. Then I poured it in a cup, tossed in 2.5 shots of Apple Rum, (we used the Bacardi kind. I don't even know if anyone else makes apple rum,) and put a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg on the top. It was real good.

This post has been edited by MogMaster on 15th April 2007 05:47

--------------------
Don't you be tarot-fied,
~Frank Zappa

Post #148071
Posted: 15th April 2007 05:51

Cetra

Awards:
No cocktail recipe this time, but here's a little something to have fun with.

http://www.liquidlight.co.uk/our_work/rightmix.php

My top score so far is 9015. Which seems to be pretty darn good. smile.gif I've seen a lot of variations on the Cosmopolitan, including one where the vodka is dominant and one where the cranberry juice is. For those of you not too familiar with this cocktail, here's a tip: use vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, and triple sec/cointreau as your ingredients. Triple sec seems to give the best score but cointreau, IRL, is generally a better choice IMHO.

And don't forget to add a lemon once you've shaken it for garnish.

user posted image
Figure 1: Actually, I used dog urine instead of triple sec.
Let's keep it our little secret...

See if you can make the barman barf out a gout of flame. >:) (For the record, even though that's what this game's about, the barman doesn't seem to know much other than Cosmopolitans - I made a martini and it killed him. ...D'oh.)

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 15th April 2007 06:01

--------------------
Post #148072
Posted: 23rd August 2007 00:40

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Onward, to Threadcromancy!

I went out drinking for the first time in months last week, and I managed to sample a Royal **** and an Irish Car Bomb for the first time; both are excellent, and I think I have a new favorite drink for shots in the Royal [NSFW].

Here's something else I tried and enjoyed:

Scot in a Box
1 oz Scotch
1 tbsp Orange Juice
1/2 oz Dry Vermouth
1/2 tsp Triple Sec
1/4 tsp Powdered Sugar
Ice

"I love scotch... scotch scotch scotch... down it goes... down into my belly... mmm...."

--------------------
Post #156111
Posted: 23rd August 2007 01:00

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
NOG-A-SAKE
One part egg nog...
THREE PARTS SAKE

...In reality I dislike both egg nog and sake. What I do like is The Office.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #156117
Posted: 23rd August 2007 01:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I've heard of so many different drinks called "Liquid Cocaine" that I don't even know which one actually is "Liquid Cocaine". Around here, Liquid Cocaine is this: 1 shot of Jager + 1 shot of Goldschlager - I think some people call that a Jager Bomb as well?

Personally, I'm a "ghetto" kind of mixer. I used to do a lot of my drinking in one of the local housing projects with some of my older friends, so there I got used to drinking everything and anything mixed with water - that's just how they did it! I'd be lucky to have any sort of mix, let alone a tasty, mixed drink!

Anyway, as a "ghetto" kind of mixer that just means that I keep a lot of different flavored juices in my house so that my guests don't have to mix it with water. Drinking pineapple rum? Mix it with this Tang. Drinking vodka? Mix it with this orange juice. Rum? Cherry Kool-Aid! laugh.gif

--------------------
NEVER put salt in your eyes.
Post #156120
Posted: 23rd August 2007 18:50

Lunarian

Awards:
Ok here's some of my favorites:

Texas Margarita
1 1/2 ounces tequila
1 ounce blood orange
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
3/4 ounce Cointreau liqueur
Serve on a salt rimmed glass.

Surfer on Acid
1/2 oz Jagermeister
1/2 oz Malibu coconut rum
1/2 oz pineapple juice

Bay Breeze
3 parts Stolichnaya vodka
1 part cranberry juice
1 part pineapple juice

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #156159
Posted: 23rd August 2007 22:42

Cetra

Awards:
Wheee, glad to see this thread resurfacing. smile.gif

One very easy to mix drink that I particularly enjoy is the Stinger. There are many variations on the dosage to use, but I think I've found one that's especially good.

Stinger
2.00oz Cognac
1.25oz Creme de Menthe (white)

Shake over ice. Strain into a rocks glass. Serve on the rocks. Garnish with a sprig of mint (if you have one.)

(Quick little note about mint. When garnishing a cocktail with it, place the mint in your hands and give it a sharp, quick smack by clapping your hands together quickly. This releases the flavor and aroma of the mint.)

Most recipes I've seen for this cocktail involve equal parts Cognac and Creme de Menthe. This is not good. Creme de Menthe has a very cloying taste that easily overpowers the Cognac. As with most short drinks, you're trying to enhance the base spirit (Cognac) so you want the Creme de Menthe to just slightly make itself known. The resulting cocktail is slightly stiff but very refreshing.

And now for a RuneLancer Original Creation.

4 am
1.00oz Cognac
0.50oz Kaluha
0.50oz Apfelkorn
1 cup Mexican Coffee

Shake all ingredients with ice. Pour, don't strain, the cocktail and the remaining ice into a rocks glass. The cocktail should have a layer of foam and be ice cold once ready.

The name of the cocktail should hint towards its origins. Properly prepared, it has a slightly fruity taste that masks the coffee's more bitter aspects. It's very refreshing and once the caffeine kicks in, you'll be up for a little while. Note that mexican coffee is not mandatory, but highly recommanded: the acidic flavor works very well with the ingredients, and other kinds seem to fall short of what this cocktail should be like.

If anyone is unfamiliar with it, Apfelkorn is a semi-strong apple-flavored cider-like liquor. Extremely enjoyable with a few ice cubes on its own, but hard to mix because of its strong flavor. Here, it easily blends with the coffee and Kaluha to give it that little fruity edge. Apple juice might make a suitable replacement, but the end result may vary somewhat. I've never tried it.

I've heard of so many different drinks called "Liquid Cocaine" that I don't even know which one actually is "Liquid Cocaine".

Over time, cocktail recipes evolve. The modern version of a cocktail can often be very, very different from the original. For instance, the original recipe for the Martini used near-equal parts Gin and Vermouth and a splash of orange bitters. Nowadays, the trend is to use as little Vermouth as possible (we're talking extremes in some cases!) and no bitters.

Other times, it's just a bad interpretation of the recipe that ends up being posted somewhere, enjoyed by some, and reposted until you can no longer tell the real one apart from the misinterpreted one. The Cosmopolitan is one: one recipe I've found uses vodka as its base, whereas another uses cranberry juice - both ingredients go in a Cosmopolitan, but it goes without saying that having twice as much vodka won't be anything like having twice as much cranberry juice.

It takes a lot of hunting around to trace back the origins of a cocktail sometimes.

Personally, I'm a "ghetto" kind of mixer. I used to do a lot of my drinking in one of the local housing projects with some of my older friends, so there I got used to drinking everything and anything mixed with water - that's just how they did it! I'd be lucky to have any sort of mix, let alone a tasty, mixed drink!

While a lot of people will tell you mixing fine spirits with water is a sin, it's actually very acceptable to do so. For instance, Whisky and water. I believe this originates from Japan when they started producing Whisky (though I would personally kill anyone who waters down ancient, well-aged whisky smile.gif )

Another very well-known example would be the french Pastis, which is rarely taken without water. In fact this is its defining characteristic: adding water transforms this clear liquor into a cloudy white liquid. Go to France, ask for some Pastis, and they'll serve it with a glass of water, guaranteed, without the need to ask for one. That's just how you're supposed to take it.

--------------------
Post #156169
Posted: 26th June 2009 19:32

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Cocktail night tonight so I gave this thread another read before I head out.

Black Russians are my cocktail of choice; topped with coke for distance. Not so keen on the Whites, the milk or cream makes my stomach feel ghastly. I always use Kahlua. I'm told that if it gets boring just fire in some Tia Maria, but, seriously folks, I wouldn't recommend it. Does anyone else know of any good alternative coffee liquors?

I'm amazed that people get away with 'Irish Car Bomb'. I've never heard of it before. Surely here it goes by a different name.
Edit
No it doesn't it's still an Irish Car Bomb. Although apparently Jamieson is a tourist trap, it's supposed to be with a different whiskey. I don't agree. Jamieson is fine.

The reason we've called this night is because someone's discovered Brugal, a rum which produces the best Mojitos on the planet, I'm told. I'll have more on this tomorrow. I don't even know what a Mojito is other than it's limey and minty.
Edit
It's a Puerto Rican drink so you lot in the Americas will know more about this than me.

Anyways here it is, the 'Long' Black Russian.
Over ice...
4 parts vodka
2 parts Kahlua
Add another 100% (6 parts) Fentimans Curiosity Cola

I use more vodka because it puts hairs on your chest and the Kahlua can become overpowering or too syrupy. What I think is REALLY COOL is how black it becomes. I'm the biggest fan of whiskey and coke or Guinness, but it doesn't have the same absolute void of colour.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 28th June 2009 16:34

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #178680
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: