CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What games are you playing at the moment?

Posted: 2nd May 2015 20:26

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (BlitzSage @ 30th April 2015 17:41)
Quote (Ker @ 30th April 2015 20:32)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 29th April 2015 19:01)
Quote (Ker @ 29th April 2015 18:12)
Currently I'm trying to beat FFVI. Anyone who says that Kefka is an easy boss is someone who clearly over-prepared for fighting him.  pinch.gif I've been having a hard time with him, but repeating the battle is just going to add nostalgia for me, like fighting Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time .

On that note, I'm replaying The Wind Waker for the umpteenth time,  heart.gif it's a very good game. People complain about being "too cartoony" but it's actually a fairly depressing game (for a Zelda title.).

Is this your first time?

It would be my first time beating the game completely. Granted, the ending was spoiled for me a long time ago, but I still fell in love with VI. I've played before a few times, but never managed to beat it. (I think that the reason I never beat it was a combined factor of Kefka scaring me as a child and then having the controller handed to me halfway through the game- I wasn't fond if the way the CG cutscenes looked, either. I have the Wii Virtual Console version of it now.)
Kind of like Wild ARMS (the original). I picked it up again two years ago, and then I beat it after ten years. I'd never gotten past the beginning in that one, honestly.

Sometimes that happens with games. I had a similar experience with FFVIII, Chrono Trigger also. Sometimes, having a difficult time completing a game can make the memories of that game fonder.

I had that happen with VII too, except I never got to beat it myself; I played it around the same time as Kingdom Hearts, but my brother broke the disc. Sadly, I didn't get much further than seeing Aerith the first time.
After that, my girlfriend re-introduced me to Final Fantasy (I had a cousin who tired it with VI, but to a nine year old, the CG intro cutscene was not only boring but it made everyone look ugly) and I ended up watching a 100% play through of FFVII.
I nearly beat Crystal Chronicles all by my lonesome, but had to return the game to her before I could, I had begun FFXII, but the lazy plot writing and all the terminology taken from Tactics Advance turned me off of the game very quickly, and I sat down to play XIII, but... Well, the game practically played itself, and I can't say I was very fond of the characters. They had potential, but I think Square flushed it down the drain.

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #208674
Posted: 3rd May 2015 20:41

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Well, these are long games, which require a great deal of effort to complete. I've done that with several games.

--------------------
Post #208690
Posted: 6th May 2015 16:38

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I played some Diablo last night...cleared Level 1, and got a Gryphon's Claw out of the deal. +100% damage? Yes please!

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #208720
Posted: 5th June 2015 22:46

Engineer

Awards:
Sorting through the emails and found one from CoN! Happy days flag-blue.gif

I currently play League of Legends, been on it for a year. None of my pals play it, it's not exactly easy for new people to get into taking into account most of the community are angry children.

Currently squatting around Gold 4 in ranked, whenever I get to promos I get scared and play terribly. Cue the angry flaming children.
Post #208976
Posted: 7th June 2015 16:15

Returner

I keep "hopping" from game to game... x.x; Currently on my list:

SNES (which STILL works ZOMG):

- 'Final Fantasy II' (IV) -- I've beat this one several times, but it's always good to revisit childhood games, yes? =D
- 'Earthbound' -- Haven't beat this one, but my parents have (years ago) and now I'm determined to do the same.
- 'Illusion of Gaia' -- I played this one in childhood as well, but haven't beaten it. Time to remedy that!

3DS:

- 'Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns' -- I might or might not like the Bluebell florist bachelor, Cam (because he dresses nice). =P Hurhur.
- 'Story of Seasons' -- I keep meaning to get past Day 8 of Spring, Year 1, but I don't. x.x; Haha.
- 'Fantasy Life' -- A bigger time-waster than Harvest Moon/Bokujo, in my opinion. It's SO CUTE I don't even argh.
- 'Smash Bros. 4' -- ROBIN 4 lyfe (also, Rosalina+Luma, Little Mac, Luigi, and the Mii Fighters because yay/why. )

--------------------
' I've always hoped that you would end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the King of Pain. '
Post #209021
Posted: 13th June 2015 17:05

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Been a while since I posted here...when was the last time...I was playing Gurumin...

Let's see. Lately been playing a couple DOS platformers, for starters.

Secret Agent is a DOS platformer by Apogee, using the same game engine as the more famous Crystal Caves. Each of the three episodes of the game (the first being shareware, of course) features an island map with 16 stages; some stages have to be completed before others, and the final stage always has a key item that's the objective of the game.

in each stage you have to navigate obstacles to perform three key tasks: destroy satellite dish, obtain dynamite, and reach the exit. Furthermore, you can take on the optional challenges of taking no damage (you have 3 health points and die on losing all of them, and there are also instant death hazards), and collecting the letters "S", "P", and "Y" in that specific order; both of these challenges yield extra points. Furthermore, destroying most enemies also gives points. (Unfortunately a few levels are designed such that you can't always do both...)

Each level is non-linear, and is self-contained within a large rectangular level map. You frequently have to do a lot of backtracking to get door keys, move barrels to jump off of, disable laser fields by bringing floppy diskettes to computer terminals, etc.. As such, there is quite a bit of route-planning that can go into these, and I think that this game might possibly be of interest to speedrunners as a result. There's also the question of what order to tackle the stages themselves in, but that's not hugely significant except for ammo since ammo and score (and stage unlocking) are the only things kept after finishing any stage.

As the game's name implies, it's vaguely spy-themed -- though with the usual Apogee humor, of course. The secret agent (Agent 006˝, specifically) goes through these three islands in order to find the blueprints of a secret weapon of mass destruction that threatens the world...and yes, he literally gets those blueprints as just about the last thing he does, in the final level 16, in each episode. The gameplay is basically the same in all the levels...but there is quite a lot of variety in the level design, which keeps the levels pretty fresh.

I had played this and this next game a lot as a kid, and I picked them back up in the GOG Summer Sale, which is going on right now.

That other game is Hocus Pocus, which is yet another Apogee platformer, but one with a bit more modern look to it, roughly 16-bit-ish (Secret Agent looks roughly 8-bit or so, though I do not mean that as a criticism). Again, it's an episodic series, this time with four episodes, of 9 stages each. The stage order is completely linear this time, and usually consist of pairs of stages with similar aesthetics (i.e. art assets) and enemy types (e.g. ice/snow area, ancient Egypt area, etc.). The ninth and final stage always contains one or more bosses of the episode.

Like Secret Agent, Hocus Pocus also consists of self-contained levels with non-linear exploration and pathing. Unlike Secret Agent, though, the main character's sprite is much larger relative to the size of the window, and there is a lot more focus on exploring the stage. Hocus Pocus himself (yes, that's his name) can also take a boatload more hits (fewer on higher difficulty, but still survives more than two hits, at 16% damage per hit, plus the provision of healing potions scattered throughout levels). The main objective is to pick up some number of warp crystals -- but in any order, this time, so non-linearity is allowed and designed for (unlike in Secret Agent sometimes). In fact, the two bonus challenges now are (1) picking up all the treasure in the stage (which of course requires exploration), and (2) finishing a stage within a certain amount of time (which is usually relatively generous if you know your pathing but not if you keep running every which way to find keys or flip switches), so it'd probably also be nice to speedrun this, especially with 100% completion (i.e. all treasures). Oddly, score is not granted for killing enemies.

Hocus Pocus is pretty fast-paced, and becomes even more so when one picks up the rapid-fire potions -- it is quite satisfying to mow down tons of magically-appearing enemies with an endless torrent of lightning bolts from one's finger. As with Secret Agent, I'd played the first shareware episode a long time ago, but now have finally gotten to play the other episodes, and I'm having a lot of fun even going back through the levels I know but doing the challenges this time.

---

Also started playing Ys II, a.k.a. Ancient Books of Ys - the Final Chapter. Ys I and II are usually sold together these days, they form a single two-part storyline, and they have the same bump-system gameplay, although Ys II gives Adol magical abilities, including a ranged fireball attack. Still, though, it's a solid top-down action RPG with quite smooth and fast-paced gameplay.

Amusingly, after you get that fireball ability, you can in fact to back to town, and hit the NPCs with it. No, they won't die from it. No, they won't like it either. The game has a little reputation system, and your punishment for throwing fire at them is that they won't like you very much -- and only if they really like you will they tell you various hints. So I did in fact go around torching the villagers, and now I'm stuck doing penance in the form of finding (or buying up) flowers and apples to give to everyone to make up for my misdeeds.

I've previously played Ys Oath, Ys Origin, and Ys I. I still haven't gotten Ys VI yet. And that'll be it for English-language Ys PC games...

----

A little while back I also played Treasure Adventure Game. This is one of the best freeware indie games I've played, ranking right up there with the likes of Cave Story.

You play a boy. He's got a hook for a hand, which he can use to hang onto things and which he swings at enemies. He's also a budding adventurer. And his quest is to find these twelve legendary treasures. This is a journey that will involve treasure maps, pirates, pyramids, ancient ruins, magic spells, talking animals, and much more.

The world is a wraparound world divided into many islands, between which you'll travel by boat. There are many islands to explore, and lots to see and do. In true metroidvania fashion, there are a lot of features that you might not be able to make use of immediately when you first see them -- they might require a puzzle to be solved, and/or some new ability to find elsewhere. But the way it's done makes you feel like there's just so much to be explored and discovered (and collectibles to be found) everywhere. In fact, one key feature of the game is that you have to find treasure maps before you can find the treasures themselves! There are even two endings, though the best ending just has a tiny bit of bonus content you can play through if you bought certain items; otherwise they're basically the same.

While the main character does walk a little slowly (and there's this one puzzle that's rather frustrating because of it, though not required, the rest of the game is really quite solid. In fact, the character's walking speed is never really much of a problem in terms of normal gameplay -- only when you really want to get to specific places quickly, and you get access to a pretty interesting fast-travel system about halfway into the game. In fact, the way you do this is by using an ability that you've acquired on a feature that you've seen pretty frequently by that point, but the game never outright tells you to do that. You just get to discover it by yourself...and it is quite gratifying when you do discover it. The whole game is really very much about discovery.

One of the best features of this game, though, is that it actually has a story. It may seem at first to be an "excuse plot", but it is most definitely not that. And once you get in the mood of adventuring and you get excited about seeing all these new things, the game begins to reveal the story to you, little drip by little drip.... And there's a nice soundtrack, too.

This game can be played via a free download at GOG, and I strongly recommend it.

----

I'm getting a little tired of making these long write-ups so I'll try to keep these a little short.

I beat Cat Planet -- a little freeware platformer game, probably best known for raocow's Let's Play of it. I don't have much to say about it.

I completed Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, a quite atmospheric metroidvania where you control a spaceship to explore a hostile alien planet. It's quite aesthetically stylish, and also does pretty well with the idea of showing off gameplay features without using words. There are a number of collectibles, and some when put together allow the player to revisit cutscenes that feature an orchestrated remix of music by Dimmu Borgir. Another interesting thing about ITSP is that it's a 2D side-view but you're not platforming since you're a spaceship that can naturally hover. So it's a little bit like Aquaria but in space, in a way.

I re-beat Potatoman Seeks the Troof, a small humorous platformer with philosophical overtones, and even got on its leaderboard. I was #5 last I checked. Then I got tired of speedrunning it.

I played through To The Moon, an RPG-Maker-based story adventure (it basically is and can be played as a point-and-click adventure) about going deep into a person's memories in order to understand their story and how things happened in their life. It's a very beautiful story, accompanied by music by Kan "Reives" Gao, and is generally regarded as pretty intensely emotional. Definitely recommended.

Played through The Shivah. This is a point-and-click adventure, telling a mystery story about a down-on-his-luck rabbi of a poor synagogue in Manhattan. A man with whom he did not have a particularly good relationship was found dead, and has willed an enormous sum of money to him...and the questions only start there. This game is a little short, but it uses what length it has very effectively, with the result being like having seen a very good, well-written movie. And I was -- and still am -- intrigued by a question that Rabbi Stone asks right at the start of the game -- "Why do bad things happen to good people?". Definitely recommended.

I tried out QuestRun. This is an odd little game -- sort of a hardcore casual game, one might say. Fantasy RPG elements made into an auto-battling game which actually becomes about resource management. Surprisingly fast-paced (though pausing is possible) and difficult. It's certainly not a bad game, though.

I revisited Paper War. It's a browser-based tower defence game, where everything is ink-and-paper-themed. Your cursor can be used to "scratch out" baddies, which rewards in the form of ink, which you use to buy towers. The baddies move through a preset path, a curved line drawn on paper, though you don't have preset locations to place towers so you can try to cluster as many of them together as you want. You can also get special (limited) inks which you can use to apply status effects to those enemies that your pen scratches. There are 20 levels in total, and if you play past about 10 or so, you'll quickly get the hang of how to handle the levels strategically. Unfortunately, the game has a bug where some enemies sometimes fail to spawn on the last wave, making a level impossible to complete. I think it may have to do with killing the last wave enemies too quickly... Anyway I ended up stopping at level 15, because I spent 15 minutes beating it, only for it to hang, and then I spent another 15 minutes beating it again, only for it to hang again. But the concept is pretty neat though.

I tried out Frozen Synapse. This is a game of turn-based real-time strategy, where you have units you can't directly control except by giving commands like facing directions, movement, shooting or not shooting on sight, etc., and you run them through scenarios in increments of time. You can preview their actions and see how they react to enemy units, but unfortunately the preview doesn't show the enemy units moving.... Anyway, this game is hard -- you might like it if you like a very challenging strategy game with shooting and cover elements.

Started playing PixelJunk Eden. It's part of the PixelJunk series, made by Q-Games, a studio headed by a westerner but based in Japan. (They do work for the bigger videogame companies, but also some indie work like PixelJunk.) In PJE, you play as a little creature that jumps around, trying to collect enough pollen to open up seeds and then opening them by jumping to them, in a 2D up/down environment (i.e. has gravity), and you do this to spawn more plants that you can grab and jump off of to open up more seeds and explore more of the level until you find "spectra", which are the objects, five to each level. There are 15 levels, and I've seen about 6 of them so far. The game has an richly ambient, artistic feel to it. It's generally a pretty nice game, with exploration elements, and it feels great to be able to open up seeds, though the time limit and the gravity and momentum effects can be rather frustrating to deal with sometimes.

Finally, I finished Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. I'd kept a save from right before fighting Brauner, and gotten distracted by the Nest of Evil, a long time ago. The game is like completionist bait, and I took that bait. So finally, one day, I decided, I'm just going to go kill Brauner, then kill the true final boss. It didn't take long.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209113
Posted: 19th June 2015 03:11

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Lately I've been goin' back and forth between Pillars of Eternity and the more recently released Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. **Sigh** Between those two games and Divinity: Original Sin, the last several months have been some of my best times in gaming.

--------------------
Post #209164
Posted: 19th June 2015 03:41

Black Mage

Awards:
Super Mario RPG
System Shock 2
FTL: Faster than Light

I'm also anxiously awaiting Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #209165
Posted: 21st June 2015 03:57

Behemoth

Awards:
Going through Final Fantasy VIII. Was going to play FFV, but oh, the load times.

--------------------
Post #209197
Posted: 27th June 2015 15:24

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
^ If you already own an official copy of it, I see no ethical objections to emulating it.

----

Games I've been playing lately:

Mystik Belle. It's a pretty new game, released a month ago for PC cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux), available straight from the dev DRM-free + Steam key and via Steam.

This is a combination of a "metroidvania" exploration platformer and item use/combination puzzles drawn from point-and-click adventure games. Rather than finding just a few items that unlock vast parts of the game for exploration, there's a lot more emphasis on exploring nooks and crannies, finding lots of items, figuring out what to do with them, and bringing the right items to the right NPCs or locations to get other items or trigger certain events. This turns out to be a pretty fresh take on the metroidvania structure, especially what with many such games these days having pretty transparently obvious structure these days. What might feel like an arbitrary obstacle otherwise actually makes more sense in-context in this game when the whole point is that there are lots of obstacles to get around and lots of tools (figuratively or literally) for our player-character to use to solve or circumvent them. NPCs also helpfully provide lots of hints when you show them items that they don't personally have a use for, and there are no items in the game that can be "lost forever" by being used wrong, which makes playing around with the items more convenient. You do get major ability upgrades from defeating bosses, which are relatively fewer and pretty significant events, though, and in that way this game also incorporates the more typical metroidvania progression mechanism.

The game stars Belle McFae, a young witch-in-training at a school of witchcraft, who becomes tasked on short notice with finding some key items to re-create the Walpurgisnacht brew when a mysterious interloper ruins the brew. The game has a "Halloweentown" sort of setting to it, not surprisingly, filled with witches, flying eyeballs, bone-throwing skeletons, bats, spiders, and the like. All this is presented in absolutely gorgeous (and gorgeously detailed!) sprite art, because the dev himself -- Andrew Bado, a.k.a. DarkFalzX -- is a talented professional pixel artist. Add in a very well-written (with good clue-writing), sometimes snarky (and even sometimes not-for-children!) script, as well as some great chiptune music by Dan Rogers a.k.a. Myoosic, and you have an excellent adventure game.

Oh, and did I mention that the dev is one of the most responsive and active devs on Steam? Actively participating in the forums, and even commenting on videos of his game on Youtube. Frequently responds to help and troubleshooting threads, and even fixes broken saves for people when bugs have messed them up. I wish every dev were like this. Even if I didn't like this game, I'd be praising his dedication to customer service.

I played this a bit earlier than my previous post in this thread, but now I'm revisiting it since NakaTeleeli's doing a Let's Play of the game, and I'm following that Let's Play in order to write up an items list and processes list, draw up an annotated map of the game, and hopefully eventually get a whole sequence diagram put together.

Other stuff I've played lately: well, I've picked up some new games in the GOG and Steam summer sales, and that also means playing some of them. I mentioned Hocus Pocus and Secret Agent earlier, and those are two of them, so I'm clearly not getting the time-order of these things right, but...

I've also started playing Raiden III: Digital Edition. Got this via GOG but it's also on Steam. As you might imagine, yes, it's a Raiden game, it's a port of an arcade game, and it's a classic (i.e. non-bullet-hell) shmup. This is also a very good implementation of it on PC -- you can change how many lives you get, how many bombs you start with, and the screen size, and there are seven selectable difficulties from "practice" where enemies fire no shots to "very hard" which is "Ideal for Raiden series hardcore players". You can also choose between two different two-player modes, one of which is suited for one person controlling both planes if you like to do that. And once you beat a stage you can revisit it for practice or score attack.

It's a much better implementation than Raiden Legacy, which was basically four arcade games slapped into an arcade emulator and sold as a pack. That one had no selectable difficulty, no way to change the number of lives or continues, and thus simply became a hardcore two-credit experience with nothing to make it any more interesting. Raiden III, on the other hand, may still be difficult, but it's difficult the way you want it to be, and it's now fun to play.

Oh, Raiden III comes with the soundtrack too.

Speaking of soundtracks...Terraria on GOG is not only DRM-free (unlike the Steam version), but also comes with the excellent two-disc soundtrack. It costs $9.99 on bandcamp by itself, and Terraria's base price is that much. But if you pick it up on GOG, you get both the game AND the soundtrack, at a discount price if you buy it on sale. Well worth it.

Over on Steam I finally picked up a DLC pack for 100% Orange Juice -- the Saki and Kyousuke character pack. They just came out with a fourth DLC pack consisting of a third pair of DLC characters, but I picked up the second DLC pack (and second character pack) because it was more discounted, and because -- in true 100% OJ fashion -- I rolled a d6 to decide between the first and second and I got a 6. The extra characters are pretty much all there to provide variety, and aren't really easy to play -- if anything, they might be more difficult. For example, Saki's hyper (character-specific super-card, basically) involves laying what are basically land mines with a huge explosion radius. Trap cards are always a weird gamble, and they involve a fair bit of playing with people's expectations -- and that may mean using both her devastating hyper as well as a trap card called "Piggy Bank" that gives a lucky winner tons of stars. Meanwhile, Kyousuke's hyper involves switching between a low-attack/high-defense mode and a high-attack/low-defense mode, as hilariously indicated by him taking his shirt off. I haven't tried Kyousuke yet but Saki is definitely not easy to play -- she has slightly below-par stats without considering her hyper.

Also someone gifted me Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds. It's a two-lane beat-em-up by 5pb and MAGES. (with the period at the end of their name, yes), the same folks behind the famous VN and anime series Steins;Gate (Makise Kurisu even cameos as an optional DLC character in this PB:BG). This game itself is apparently a spinoff of a fighting game series that's never been localized, and features nice sprite art and cool chiptune music, as well as what seems to be pretty smooth gameplay, running around and defeating enemies left and right, along with a skill advancement system. There's also a local co-op feature. The only reason I didn't go further with this, though, is that it still has very limited (read: practically none) options for rebinding keyboard controls -- they're stuck at WASD for movement and GBHJ for action buttons. The devs are fully aware of this, though, and hopefully they'll make it possible to rebind to arrow keys from ZXCS (or whatever control scheme you prefer) sometime soon.

Finally, just last night, I dived into Rime Berta. This game is like the gameplay of Final Fantasy Tactics or FFTA, but with a mouse interface. Isometric grid, tactical battling, turn-based, movements and attacks and reaction skills, character classes with class advancement trees, even experience points for actions taken and a pretty nifty orchestral fantasy soundtrack. It's a Japanese indie game by a dev called NEXT-SOFT and localized by Playism -- and if you buy directly from their site you can get a region-free Steam key as well as the soundtrack. The story involves a girl who wants to ascend a tower to find a fabled panacea to cure her town's illness, and finds herself battling her way up the tower by using dolls. It seems pretty decent, and the mouse-based controls turn out to work quite well for this type of game.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 27th June 2015 15:37

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209308
Posted: 27th June 2015 18:47

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I am getting my big white butt handed to me in Cave Story+. This game is frustratingggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I'm not even close to the end yet. The Sisters (those twin dragon thingies) have me cussing already.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209309
Posted: 28th June 2015 14:44

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm playing things!

Heroes of the Storm - Blizzard's MOBA, which is more forgiving and less complicated than League of Legend or Dota 2, is my daily fix of late. Really like the gameplay and overall design, and I can suplex Kerrigan as Diablo, so it's a win-win-win.

Paper Mario - Still playing this! I have six stars and will totally get back on the Paper Mario train once I finish the last two games in this list!

Her Story - Really interesting murder mystery that you don't necessary "solve" over the course of playing it. You play the role of an unknown party examining old police records on a Windows 95 computer, using a search engine and some readme files to check out some police interrogations concerning an old case. By discovering new search terms and watching the videos, the player pieces together what happened in a 1996 murder case. Really interesting method of storytelling. I'd play 8 more just like it if they were available, and it only cost me $5 US on Steam.

Final Fantasy X - I'm replaying this to take part in the Retro Encounter podcast and I'm actually enjoying it more this time then when I first played it 11 or 12 years ago. Playing the HD Remaster on PS3, and I've played about 70 matches of Blitzball (guys, I kinda love Blitzball). Four fully-charged Celestial weapons. This game is GORGEOUS and also plays pretty well.

Persona 4 Golden - I'm in late November of my latest playthrough of Persona 4 - my 4th run overall, but only 2nd on the Vita version. For the record, Persona 4 Golden begins on April 11th and ends on February 14th. Going for max S.Links and the Platinum trophy, which should be easy to do if I can beat the superboss at the end of the game. I'm Persona-crazy, guys.

--------------------
Post #209316
Posted: 28th June 2015 16:30

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Persona 4 Golden is great, I played it on the Vita recently as well, highly recommended to Final Fantasy fans, good luck with the platinum trophy!

I'm playing Batman & The Witcher 3, both are amazing and truly next gen, hard to choose which to play when I get some PlayStation 4 time in. Witcher 3 blows Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age out of the water, it's on a whole other level.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #209317
Posted: 2nd July 2015 12:15

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Tried out a fan-made Team Fortress 2 mode, called "Stop That Tank!". It replaces the payload bomb cart with a tank, turns the players with the tank on their side into robots, and the objective now is to prevent the bomb from being delivered to the final control point.

Unlike a normal bomb cart, players on offense don't stand near it to move it. Instead, it moves by itself. Defense standing near the tank doesn't do anything either, I think. When it replaces normal (offense/defense) payload, the tank acts like an MVM tank, and takes damage from the defending team attacking it. If the tank is destroyed, a new bomb will spawn, which can be carried by the offense team's members to the final control point. When it replaces payload race, neither tank is destructible -- instead, damaging the enemy tank causes it to slow down temporarily. Furthermore, the tanks can kill players by crushing them against walls, which is easily possible since they're much larger than the normal bomb carts.

It's certainly an interesting take on the classic payload formula. The servers that run this game mode also have a mechanism wherein players on robot teams are randomly selected to become giant robots -- for example, giant 10-shot bazooka soldiers. This includes sentry busters, actually. I'm not sure how much I like this -- personally, I think I prefer a simpler and cleaner focus on the core gameplay of stopping or retarding tanks.

Other than that, it's pretty fun. Though there are still two kinks to work out -- there's the bug where a blue spybot appears as red despite being on blue team, even to fellow blue team members, and there's the fact that there are many more sound effects going on -- tank sound effects, robot step noises, and more, and there just seem to be too many sounds going on to get a good feel of what's going on via sound effects, the way it's possible in the normal game. Also, I'm not a fan of giant bots. Also note that giant bots do count toward your achievements -- I just got the achievement for igniting opponents with the flare gun while being a rapid-fire flare giant pyro. Thankfully you can decline if you don't want to become a giant.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209324
Posted: 2nd July 2015 18:35

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Well Im going Pro/Competetive at Super Smash Bros 4. I've been playing alot and been watching tournaments, and I think I'm at the skill level to start entering tournaments, which is what Im gonna do. smile.gif. Aside from that, I cant wait for Fire Emblem: Fates and Bravely Second to come out Next year, so while waiting for those titles to be translated I have been playing Fire Emblem 12 with a pretty good english patch, and Final Fantasy: The four heroes of Light

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #209325
Posted: 2nd July 2015 21:16

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (laszlow @ 28th June 2015 09:44)

Final Fantasy X - I'm replaying this to take part in the Retro Encounter podcast and I'm actually enjoying it more this time then when I first played it 11 or 12 years ago.  Playing the HD Remaster on PS3, and I've played about 70 matches of Blitzball (guys, I kinda love Blitzball).  Four fully-charged Celestial weapons.  This game is GORGEOUS and also plays pretty well. 

Blitzball is amazing. Second best mini-game in an RPG ever behind Triple Triad from FFVIII.

Currently, I'm playing through a few games:

Shadow of the Colossus
: IMO, this is a top 5 videogame ever made, top 3 even. I can't flat out say it is the best game ever made, there are too many variables to label a medium such as videogames to ahve a "best game ever". But wow, it is damn close. The scale, the graphics, the design, all a feat for the PS2. The world is huge. But the overall game; The gameplay, the lack of an overworld soundtrack (providing unparalleled ambiance), the minimalism. The minimalism alone makes this game incredible. But the Colossi are the real technical feat of the game. Often taking literal hours to figure out the best way to scale them and find their weak-points all the while never becoming frustrating. I sound like an idiot, but this game is almost indescribable. It is literally just you, your horse, some lizards and the Colossi. Without a doubt the best Zelda game (YES I WENT THERE), and one of the most immersive, incredible game experiences of all time.

Final Fantasy VIII: I'm playing through this game again. For probably about the 25th time. It's been a few years since I last picked it up. I'm 30 now and I have played a lot of games since FFVIII but my god, what an under-appreciated gem of a game this is. Too often compared to FFVII (unfair to both games, IMO), too often criticized for it's battle system and departure from the steam-punk oriented style of the older games and too often overlooked for it's wonderful story and character development. FFVIII surprises me still. Now that I'm older and more experienced as an adult and a gamer, FFVIII still holds strong, in fact, is aging incredible. The characters are the most down-to-earth in the series, there is a strong emphasis an female characters (they centralize and drive the story) and the story still stands out from the rest of the series. People who don't like FFVIII just plain don't get it; It does so many things right, while still being incredibly flawed. The themes of loneliness, common throughout childhood and adolescence remain central to the characters, especially the main character. I think people's main issue with FFVIII is that you aren't this bad-ass, take-charage, "I'm in control of my destiny!" type of character. Instead, you get a confused, independent, thoughtful character who admits he is powerless in the grand scheme, that there was often only one path to choose from in life and the best one can do is take it in stride and stand up for what they believe in. Just a wonderful game form start to finish. Plus, Triple Triad > *

Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain: The first entry in the series, for PS1. It was an early game in the system's life cycle. First off, it has some of the most horrid ever load times, a clunky menu system, a frustrating battle system and the graphics aren't the greatest. But what this game offered, perhaps more so than any game before it, was incredible story-telling and voice acting. Top-notch voice acting drives the story as you take control of Kain, a vampire who seeks revenge on the one's who took his mortal life, you eventually get drawn into a much larger story. Once you get the hang of the menu/battle system you can hack and slash your way through this Zelda-clone while utilizing magical powers and different forms such as werewolf and bat form. This is an engaging and rewarding experience for those who have the patience to sit through long-winded conversations/cut-scenes and horrible, absolutely horrible load times.

I'm also trying to finish Mass Effect 2 and go on to play Mass Effect 3 but honestly, I'm on the last mission and have completely lost all interest in the story and characters. What a great game for the first 20 hours or so, but man, it really loses you about 3/4ths of the way through.

Also playing through Skyrim, but honestly, I'm not into it. More of a Fallout guy. The whole dragons and swords crap doesn't do it for me.

Also, tried to get in Final Fantasy Tactics and some of it's hacks, but my emulator is all mucked up and I got sick of dealing with it.

Finally, I'm always playing through NHL 14 and Civilization IV

EDIT: Also! Just started a new FFIIIj game. Lovely little game, that.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 2nd July 2015 21:20

--------------------
Post #209326
Posted: 3rd July 2015 21:35

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I oughta finish my FFIIIj game.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209327
Posted: 4th July 2015 20:56

Black Mage

Awards:
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
It's a direct sequel, something that doesn't happen very often in Castlevania. You play as the reincarnation of Dracula, and can collect "souls" from monsters you kill, that give you certain abilities. You can also infuse them into weapons. My biggest beef with this game is the very low drop rate for souls.
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
One of my favorite Castlevania games. It's much more vast than Dawn of Sorrow, and there are shocking plot twists at every turn. The locations are intriguing, and the music is absolutely beautiful. The Glyph system that the player character, Shanoa, uses is simple enough, but powerful, and unlike Dawn of Sorrow, the Glyph drop rate is much more satisfying (and, some Glyphs you find on your own, no monster attached.)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword SPOILERS FOLLOW
I could go on forever about how much I love this game and all that's wrong with it, but I'll keep it brief.
Skyward Sword added in a lot of sidequest elements, and is fairly lengthy if you intend to beat all those sidequests and the main story. The game is the start of the Zelda timeline, and as such, a lot of things that are staples in Zelda games (legends of a great hero saving the land) are replaced with the time's own legends of the Goddess.
The game plays smoothly, and I myself have replayed it dozens of times.
The primary antagonist, Ghirahim, is drastically different from your run of the mill Zelda villain. Ghirahim is crazy, narcissistic, and extremely determined to get his way. He's prone to violent fits of anger, and is flamboyant to a fault (The guy even proclaims that finding out there's a second Gate of Time "fills [his] heart with rainbows!") And, even after Link manages to destroy Demise, he still gets his way. Ghirahim is to The Legend of Zelda what Kefka is to Final Fantasy . His popularity as a Zelda villain is rivaled only by Ganondorf.
As a side note, the final boss, Demise, was much harder than I expected it to be. I was expecting your generic Ganon battle, and got my arse royally kicked.

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #209330
Posted: 23rd July 2015 17:08

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I started Chrono Trigger last night. I've played it before and got as far as endgame, but for some reason that I don't recall, never finished the game. It's been long enough since I've played that it feels like a new game to me. I'm normally a walkthrough player, but my way of reading walkthroughs (my PSP) has died, and I don't have a computer of my own (posting this on my mom's computer) so I'm playing through the game without a walkthrough. Going pretty well so far. It's comforting to know the CoN walkthrough is available, though, should I need it.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #209411
Posted: 23rd July 2015 19:43

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Mostly just have been playing Shenmue, what with all the news the series has garnered in the last couple months. Wouldn't mind going through Shenmue 2, since I can upgrade to a 360 controller instead of that oft-clunky Dreamcast one.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #209413
Posted: 25th July 2015 06:56

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Picked up two Vita games and a PC game on sale, so I mostly played those.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - I'm a longtime Diablo fan, and I picked up Reaper of Souls when it was on sale on the Battle.net shop. I *love* the faster experience curve and loot system, which basically make loot runs as fast and free as possible if you've beaten the new Act V once. The difficulty curve is also adjustable and more manageable. It's really solid. Got my first D3 character up to level 65 or so then decided to hold off and start a new character once Season 4 begins.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - Fifteen remarkable high school students are mysteriously locked in a school together, and the only way to "graduate" is for a student to kill another student, then successfully get away with the murder. So basically a series of murders happens, and you need to investigate and interrogate to figure out which student is the killer in each murder. These "class trials" take the form of dialog puzzles where you attack inconsistencies in statements with evidence in the form of "truth bullets." It's pretty ridiculous, then gets MORE ridiculous when you play a rhythm game for a "final argument" when you formally accuse the guilty party. I think there are five or six "cases" in the game, and I'm in the middle of investigating the third one. Over the top anime nonsense, brutal murder and execution scenes, and some legitimately fun dialog. Convoluted as hell, and probably most easily compared to the Phoenix Wright games. I'm enjoying it so far, but not quite as much as...

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Sequel to 999 for the DS. Holy crap this is great. VLR's and 999's puzzle rooms are a mix of pixel-hunting search-n-find, math puzzles, spatial puzzles, and logic puzzles. They're pretty fun on their own. But framed in a sci-fi story of murder, intrigue, and quantum mechanics (really), they're spectacular. VLR has 16 puzzle rooms, and its interesting narrative structure (basically a flow chart of decisions and actions that you can freely switch between) means you don't have to repeat some rooms like in 999. The story and dialog are excellent, and the puzzles are devious - a little more challenging than 999, but not exactly unfair. You really ought to play 999 first to know the story details, but VLR is definitely one of the best 3DS or Vita games I've ever played.

Heroes of the Storm - still playing this! Favorite characters are Muradin, Anub'arak, Diablo, and Sargent Hammer!

Paper Mario - I'll get to this! Eventually!

--------------------
Post #209417
Posted: 28th July 2015 23:18
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I only have a PC, so I can't play Akrham Knight. That means I can play the good Akrham game instead!

I like Asylum actually and I think in terms of overall design, it's Metroidvania structure works better than City's open world...but the mechanics are just so much better in City that I can't go back. I tried and B-man felt sluggish and unresponsive in comparison. Trying to get full combo's in Asylum is like pulling teeth. So city it is.

I'm trying to get all the side missions but missed one of the identity thief bodies and now I can't complete it, but thankfully it's not a loss I'm feeling too terrible about. Still, I'm with Yahtzee on the bullshit way it gates side mission progression...especially since the games gives fuck all notice about when a relevant portion of the side missions are available to continue. Otherwise, those fuggin Riddler trophies are getting reeeally sloggish to wade through. I 'spect getting round to mopping them up at the end game is going to turn into another chore...

And yet...dem sweet mechanics. Also, it's still an amazingly detailed game for how big it is.

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 28th July 2015 23:19

--------------------
Post #209438
Posted: 29th July 2015 03:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
My local library has some games, so today I borrowed Tomb Raider. I've played for a few hours and I'm liking it so far. I'm not too good at stealth, though, so I've had to retry a lot.

I also started a new game of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days. I considered playing on Proud mode but chickened out and am playing on standard.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #209441
Posted: 2nd August 2015 19:47

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I found this PC game Off, and it's my new favorite. It has some of the best puzzles I've ever seen in an RPG. The story is really weird, and perfect for a video game. Basically, the player-character is aware that you are controlling him and is your faithful servant in the cleansing of the impure realm of Off. He will occasionally mention you in dialogue. "No one sent me. I'm being controlled by Raven. She can't talk to us, but she can see everything." It's basically awesome.
Post #209449
Posted: 2nd August 2015 22:33

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I finally started playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (the first chapter). For real this time.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209452
Posted: 9th August 2015 18:22
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Been playing Mass Effect 1 again on a lark and I gotta say it's not looking half bad for a damn near decade old game. I mean ya gotta dig a little into the ini file, but it can look pretty spiffy when it waaaOH MY GAWD GARRUS! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAACE?

user posted image

Sooo I ended up downloading a 4GB texture mod that re-hauls all the textures just to fix this dude's ugly ass mug.

--------------------
Post #209473
Posted: 10th August 2015 05:44

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Well, I beat Danganronpa and Virtue's Last Reward. Here's what I have going on currently:

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - yup, more of this. I got three characters up to level 70 (one Barbarian, one Crusader, and one Monk) and I'm messing around with rifts. I can handle Torment III quite easily solo, but after that it gets dicey. Really want to try and get some item sets completed.

The Last Story - Wii RPG from Mistwalker. Really cool implementation of an action battle system. You can take cover like you're playing Uncharted or Gears of War, and make special attacks from cover and use vision, traps, and timing in a lot of interesting ways. Great cast with appealing dialog. I'm only about 4 or 5 hours in, but so far this looks to be a really excellent RPG.

Digital Devil Saga - I played DDS1 last year and really enjoyed it. Playing it again on New Game +, intending to beat most of the optional bosses and create a near-perfect save file that I can import over to DDS2. This game is awfully grindy, but the combat is great and the story is really cool.

Heroes of the Storm - play at least one or two matches every day just to get gold from my daily quest. Been using Leoric and The Butcher a lot recently and they're both really fun! After I get another 10,000 gold I'll buy either Johanna, Kharazim, or Azmodan.

Paper Mario - haven't played this in a few weeks. I'll get to it. Eventually.

--------------------
Post #209476
Posted: 19th August 2015 07:25

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I tried the Four Job Fiesta, but I lost interest and started playing a few other Squenix games; specifically FF4, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. I got my big brother playing CT and he is enjoying himself a lot. He probably doesn't like it as much as I do (that's hard to top), but I think he'll like better when he figures out just how much exploring there is to do (he played A Link to the Past four times in a row and found every last secret). I've started it again and it's making me really happy.
Post #209498
Posted: 19th August 2015 18:15

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm replaying Final Fantasy II for the fifth or sixth time. Sure, it has its weaknesses (it can be grindy, and the character development system sucks) but I like the story and music. I especially like the Soul of Rebirth extra dungeon from the GBA version.

--------------------
Schedule:
Post #209499
Posted: 21st August 2015 04:33

Engineer

Awards:
I've been replaying Off and re-experiencing the weirdness of it (I was in the last dungeon when my computer hard drive failed and I had to start again from the beginning). I just wanted to share a bit of the weirdness with you guys.
user posted image (The cow is filled with metal.)
Post #209507
9 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: