CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Who is the REAL villain of Final Fantasy VII?

Place ya Bets!
Sephiroth [ 16 ]  [50.00%]
Jenova [ 7 ]  [21.88%]
Hojo [ 8 ]  [25.00%]
Rufus [ 1 ]  [3.12%]
Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 31st July 2011 20:54

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
We all know how evil and deranged Sephiroth is. Without Jenova, he'd be nothing. But without Hojo, Jenova'd be nothing. But then we have Rufus, carrying out orders elsewhere.

Who do YOU think is the real villain?

I voted for Hojo.
Post #196413
Posted: 31st July 2011 21:01

Behemoth

Awards:
I nulled, because I think all of them, in tandem, were the real culprits. All of their decisions allowed the others to continue, and for the world to go through all the troubles in the game.

--------------------
Post #196415
Posted: 31st July 2011 21:20
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I picked Sephiroth. Jenova, to me, is nil. She is helpless in the state that she is in. Hojo doesnt offer too much other than a brain ... Rufus doesnt even offer that.
Post #196420
Posted: 31st July 2011 21:38

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I couldn't really say anyone other than Sephiroth. Most of the game is spent chasing Sephiroth, he's the antagonist, and I don't think Jenova or Hojo are the main villain just because they bore Sephiroth or helped him on his way. He comes across as an actor is his own right. If he appeared to be manipulated or seemed like a tool for someone else then maybe it would be different. By the end Hojo is his subordinate.

Rufus isn't even a clear villain. His goals are similar to Cloud's by disc 2, he just goes about it very differently. If it wasn't for Rufus Sephiroth would've destroyed humanity. It took the cannon to open the Northern Crater.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #196425
Posted: 31st July 2011 21:44

Cactuar

Awards:
I asked the REAL villain. And without Hojo, there wouldn't be Sephiroth.

And Jenova did all of Sephiroth's bidding, like

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
killing Aeris

and Sephiroth was
just in that Mako crystal 90% of the game
Post #196426
Posted: 31st July 2011 22:14

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Yeah the story's really convoluted but I think the overall basic plot is follow Sephiroth and kill him to save the world. Hojo and Jenova might come in at times but they're not the REAL villain as you say. And about Hojo creating Sephiroth, I don't think that makes Hojo worse just because his actions are the first in a long chain of events. I'd see the villain as being the person who's the main antagonist and is the most important to the story and all the points it raises. I think Sephiroth really fits the bill here. Even if you could say it's Jenova not Sephiroth for most of the game, I don't look at it so literally. The point is that the clones/cells/ghosts whatever look like Sephiroth and it's his memory and his shadow that keeps Cloud and the others going. That's the making of a villain I would say. Also screw the translation.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #196432
Posted: 1st August 2011 05:10

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I vote Hojo.It could not be Rufus he does kinda save everyone like he helps kill the Diamond Weapon and also Destroy the Shield so hes not the real villain,Jenova Idk about it.Sephorith would of been fine if Hojo didnt inject Jenova into him before birth in Lucrisea(Sorry for the incorrect spelling for her name)But it is Hojo For sure.I hate even for being made because he stole who vincent was in love with.He created Jenova and injected it into Sephorith,Lucri.,Vincent,and himself.He shot Vincent which made me even more mad at him.So Hojo for sure.

This post has been edited by KasperNinja on 1st August 2011 05:11
Post #196439
Posted: 1st August 2011 05:47

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (sweetdude @ 31st July 2011 18:14)
Yeah the story's really convoluted but I think the overall basic plot is follow Sephiroth and kill him to save the world.

I agree with you about the story being convoluted. The game would be much higher on my list if it perhaps made Rufus a more prominent villain honestly, rather than focusing on Sephiroth. It's strange to me, because they really begin to establish Rufus and Sephiroth at the same time, but they only give him a few scenes to truly describe his character. The story follows the same progression as FFVI, but FFVI explains the change in focus more concretely.

While Sephiroth is the main villain, I think it should've been an equal sharing of that role between Sephiroth and Shinra.

--------------------
Post #196440
Posted: 1st August 2011 14:00

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Chell172 @ 31st July 2011 16:44)
I asked the REAL villain. And without Hojo, there wouldn't be Sephiroth.

And without Hojo's parents, there wouldn't be Hojo. So, by that logic, wouldn't you think that Hojo's parents are the true villains? smile.gif

In seriousness, though, FF7 isn't like, say, FF9, where
all of a sudden at the very end there's a giant creature who comes essentially out of the blue to be the final villain.

There's a lot more nuance to it than that, regardless of whether any Sephiroth you follow throughout the game is real, a clone, a hologram, or whatever. I'm with Sweetdude - no matter what the twist is to the story, there's a form of Sephiroth that is the antagonist for at least two-thirds of the game, and even if you haven't played it for ten years, like I haven't, Sephiroth is the one that sticks with you.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #196444
Posted: 1st August 2011 14:36

Cactuar

Awards:
Wow. My thoughts have totally changed.

Mukki is the real villain.

No seriously, I now think Jenova is. I mean, she/it killed tons of Cetra, powered SOLDIER, carried out many of Sephiroth's deeds, and she
killed Aeris, seeing as Sephiroth was controlling Jenova during that scene
, and it/she massacred, to my knowledge, everyone in the Shinra Building from the floor you find her/it on and up.

I actually was gonna add Mukki in the poll, but I didn't.
Post #196451
Posted: 1st August 2011 17:00

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I voted Hojo.

I'm surprised you didn't put President Shinra as a choice, if we're talking about lineages of evil via cause-and-effect.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #196461
Posted: 1st August 2011 19:23

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 1st August 2011 18:00)
I voted Hojo.

I'm surprised you didn't put President Shinra as a choice, if we're talking about lineages of evil via cause-and-effect.

I didn't put President Shinra as an option because he was only in the game for about one or two hours. After he dies, he is almost never mentioned, and Rufus has completely taken his place. But about cause-and-effect, he just ordered people around, and the people below him did their own evil things.

This post has been edited by Chell172 on 1st August 2011 19:24
Post #196473
Posted: 1st August 2011 19:34

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I voted Jenova. However powerless she was in the game, the entire plot is pretty much her fault. Without Jenova, the games wouldn't have happened. Their world would have been so drastically different without her arrival that there's no telling if any of the characters would have existed.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #196478
Posted: 1st August 2011 19:40

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Chell172 @ 1st August 2011 14:23)
I voted Hojo.

I didn't put President Shinra as an option because he was only in the game for about one or two hours. After he dies, he is almost never mentioned, and Rufus has completely taken his place. But about cause-and-effect, he just ordered people around, and the people below him did their own evil things.

Okay, fine, then put Heidegger and Scarlet.

(jk)

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #196481
Posted: 1st August 2011 19:46

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 1st August 2011 20:40)
Quote (Chell172 @ 1st August 2011 14:23)
I voted Hojo.

Okay, fine, then put Heidegger and Scarlet.

(jk)

Actually, my favorite scene involving either of them was where you slap Scarlet's whiny face on top of the Sister Ray.

I so totally kicked her butt/slapped her face.
Post #196484
Posted: 1st August 2011 20:05

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 1st August 2011 06:47)
The game would be much higher on my list if it perhaps made Rufus a more prominent villain honestly, rather than focusing on Sephiroth.

Well, being a massive VII fan I would say this, but anyway I really like the way the Shinra characters are played in the game. I don't think they're meant to be straightforward villains, they're more like a misguided humanity with the right intentions. A bad means to a good end. Jenova is a space travelling alien conqueror, nothing less. So Rufus' agenda is to protect himself and by extension humanity because he takes the role of autocrat. I like the way the planet is presented as a victim, yet it produces the Weapons which look to kill entirely innocent people (exemplified by Marlene). Rufus becomes a saviour by fighting the Weapon that attacks Junon and Crystal Weapon when it attacks Midgar. If it wasn't for Shinra these cities would be destroyed. Although on the other hand if it wasn't for Shinra the planet probably wouldn't be wanting to destroy the cities. But then Rufus had nothing to do with the state the world's in. He's only been President for about a month at the most. It's a really hard situation to determine villains and heroes. If he was an outright villain I think this angle would be lost. That's just my take on it, I don't disagree with you that Rufus should have had more screentime. smile.gif

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #196497
Posted: 1st August 2011 20:57

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (sweetdude @ 1st August 2011 16:05)
It's a really hard situation to determine villains and heroes. If he was an outright villain I think this angle would be lost. That's just my take on it, I don't disagree with you that Rufus should have had more screentime. smile.gif

I also like the ambiguity, but I think it could've been helped, as you and I seem to agree, with more of a balanced presence of Sephiroth and Shinra, or Rufus. I like the idea that they're misguided, but their actions have ultimately caused all of this. Their main fault is that they didn't take the planet's threat seriously, and it's likely that they had to continue to deal with the Weapons for many years to come (unless if you beat Emerald Weapon in the game, lol). But it's one of the things that, despite the lack of technology, still makes me lean towards favoring FFVI and CT in that regard. They seemed to get that storyline right: people with misguided intentions leading to negative consequences. Ultimately, the groups in that game, like Shinra, are just out for themselves. They're not trying to destroy the world, but their actions ultimately allow for those situations to unfold. That being said, I'm a big fan of the game still, mainly because they did try--and to a degree they succeeded--in making something very interesting and unique. The ambiguity they were shooting for was a difficult thing to attempt, because it's hard not to become convoluted.

--------------------
Post #196502
Posted: 1st August 2011 21:02
Returner

Spoilers throughout the whole post.

Hojo orchestrates the majority of Gaias problems.

In Before Crisis Hojo is Fuhito's inspiration, and mimics SOLDIERs through Ravens. Hojo also put the Zirconiade materia in Elfe which is what Fuhito uses to try to kill all life forms on Gaia to give the planet a break.

In Crisis Core Hollander works on Project G to rival Hojo's Project S. Also this is when the Nibelheim events take place, and Cloud and Zack are experimented on.

In Final Fantasy VII he captures Aerith, it's revealed he's Sephiroths father, and tries to give him more power with the mako cannon.

In Dirge of Cerberus it's revealed he Scarlet and Heidegger are the reason for Deepground, and that he indirectly still controls Deepground.

Just a quick summary... more complex things like the Clones as well.

This post has been edited by BoysBoysBoys on 1st August 2011 21:03
Post #196503
Posted: 18th August 2011 15:16

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Well Before reading I voted Rufus Shinra. Now I'm not so sure.

Yeah what about his father, President Shinra? He was the one who founded Shinra right? So he drained the planet, almost killing it and created the whole company - gave Hojo his job and unleashed the crazy scientist. So President Shinra obviously wanted to have a very powerful company and so created the Turks and SOLDIER.
There was all the experimenting with Mako and Jenova cells etc. with the Jenova project and we know all about that.
Does that not make him the top villain, the one who started it all because of greed?
If you go with that point, there is less of a blame on Rufus because he took over from his father but he still willingly continued on when he could have stopped it all, so he does shoulder some of the blame and is still a villain but he didn't start it. However, yes, Rufus did try and make up for some of it, so it's kinda half and half there. dry.gif

So what about Hojo? Countless experiments of his are dotted around the game.
He created Sephiroth
Major evilness. The proof -
What he did to Vincent and Lucrecia, Zack and Cloud. - Not as much for Lucrecia, it depends if you believe she willingly went along with the idea and claimed to "love" Hojo. Even still he would have known how this experiment would have had a high risk of hurting her. Or if you believe she was forced into it and believe she was raped well then he's more of a villain.
But if it wasn't for President Shinra, Hojo couldn't have had access to the labs and Jenova and all that technology and would not have created Sephiroth.

Sephiroth. Well, I certainly hate him
for killing Aerith,
who doesn't? But if you played Crisis Core you see "normal" Sephiroth when he didn't know of his creation. You see how he became insane. Not really his fault then is it? He was like the Turks in the sense that they killed innocent people but were all under instruction of President Shinra. No one considers the Turks villains here. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think I saw anyone calling the Turks villains. So you can't say he was a villain before.
Now you can argue here he becomes a villain but I think not. I believe it wasn't his fault. Wouldn't you become corrupt if you knew you were created as an experiment? To serve a company fuelled by greed? So he hated everything and everyone and well, became insane! He wanted to take over the world and rid it of humanity like Jenove tried to. It's understandable I think (I mean Hojo as a father? that alone is enough to drive anyone crazy! wink.gif biggrin.gif ) but it still leaves a gap to call him a villain.

So I can conclude - I don't know. Everyone is gonna have their own real villain.
For me it's mainly Rufus' father and Hojo.

You're probably going to find alot of holes in my arguments but still that's what I think!

This post has been edited by FinalFantasyAoibh on 18th August 2011 15:20

--------------------
"Please don't give me all my luck now. Make it all stretch. I don't mind waiting. Make it stretch for 70 years. "
Robert Pattinson

"You just don't get it do you? There's not a thing I don't cherish!"
Cloud Strife, FFVII: AC

Games Complete: FFVII, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIII-2
Post #196931
Posted: 19th August 2011 11:12

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I'd say:hojo is the real villain or perhaps shinra or rufus.
If it was't for hojo rufus and shinra,sephiroth wouldn't be so messed up

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #196951
Posted: 19th August 2011 23:29

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Oh yes and my point for the fact that Jenova can't really be the villain.
She/It was an alien of some kind that tried to kill the planet but the Cetra stopped her.

No one knows anything about Jenova other than that really and in the game she didn't try manipulate Sephiroth and give out her cells for experiments. She was in a frozen state when the cells were taken from her by Shinra and used.
So how can Jenova be the villain? Well I don't think she can.

So much thinking!! wacko.gif

--------------------
"Please don't give me all my luck now. Make it all stretch. I don't mind waiting. Make it stretch for 70 years. "
Robert Pattinson

"You just don't get it do you? There's not a thing I don't cherish!"
Cloud Strife, FFVII: AC

Games Complete: FFVII, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIII-2
Post #196966
Posted: 20th August 2011 01:59

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
If it wasn't for Sephiroth, Hojo and Shinra wouldn't have messed up Sephiroth. And he's the villain.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #196970
Posted: 20th August 2011 02:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (FinalFantasyAoibh @ 19th August 2011 18:29)
She/It was an alien of some kind that tried to kill the planet but the Cetra stopped her.

No one knows anything about Jenova other than that really and in the game she didn't try manipulate Sephiroth and give out her cells for experiments. She was in a frozen state when the cells were taken from her by Shinra and used.

So much thinking!!  wacko.gif

Except for the whole part where Sephiroth dedicated everything he did to her. What was he doing, exactly? Well, nothing short of attempting to carry out Jenova's mission! You also fight Jenova multiple times. (Clones or no- It's still her.) Lastly! If she didn't land on the planet.... No modified Sephiroth, and the Cetra would still have been around... Meaning no Shinra Co, thus no opportunity for Hojo either (Assuming his respective ancestors would still have led to him with the full Cetra civilization still roaming the planet).

This post has been edited by Dr. Delinquent on 20th August 2011 02:25

--------------------
----DQIII DQVIII
Post #196971
Posted: 20th August 2011 10:32

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Dr. Delinquent @ 20th August 2011 02:08)

Except for the whole part where Sephiroth dedicated everything he did to her. What was he doing, exactly? Well, nothing short of attempting to carry out Jenova's mission! You also fight Jenova multiple times. (Clones or no- It's still her.) Lastly! If she didn't land on the planet.... No modified Sephiroth, and the Cetra would still have been around... Meaning no Shinra Co, thus no opportunity for Hojo either (Assuming his respective ancestors would still have led to him with the full Cetra civilization still roaming the planet).

Hojo was Insane.

What he did to sephiroth and what he did to his real mother lucrecia was something a normal man would think twice.

Despite the jenova cells driving him nuts in the end,there was something visually wrong with him beforehand,you can tell in crisis core.

Who are the people who think they have the right to play god? answer me this and you will get your answer to what hojo is.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #196976
Posted: 20th August 2011 18:24

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Hojo was Insane.

What he did to sephiroth and what he did to his real mother lucrecia was something a normal man would think twice.

Despite the jenova cells driving him nuts in the end,there was something visually wrong with him beforehand,you can tell in crisis core.

Who are the people who think they have the right to play god? answer me this and you will get your answer to what hojo is.

I'm not saying he wasn't a nutcase, or that he wasn't a villain, I'm just saying this: Would he be anything without Jenova? 2000 years prior to FFVII, she opened the door to allow the world to become what it was, and then returned during VII to finish the job through Sephiroth, and then again in Advent Children.

If not for her, Gaia would not exist in the same way as it did in the game. There would be no corruption in the Lifestream, the Cetra would still be protecting the planet, and there would have been no opportunities for Shinra or Hojo to become what they did.

She tried to destroy the world 3 times in her time on the planet, though twice she had to work through Sephiroth.

This post has been edited by Dr. Delinquent on 20th August 2011 18:25

--------------------
----DQIII DQVIII
Post #196986
Posted: 20th August 2011 18:39

Crusader

Awards:
Yeah.

I thought that jenova was dead wasn't she? suppoedly sephiroth was controlling her the whole time.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 20th August 2011 18:45

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #196988
Posted: 20th August 2011 21:10

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 20th August 2011 13:39)
Yeah.

I thought that jenova was dead wasn't she? suppoedly sephiroth was controlling her the whole time.

It's open for interpretation, though I believe she is alive. Read this, specifically the nature section, where it states: "As stated in Professor Hojo's Jenova Reunion Theory, once Jenova's cells have been separated from the main body, they will eventually reunite into one again. If they are inside a host body, they can influence its mind and body to join the Reunion."

--------------------
----DQIII DQVIII
Post #196989
Posted: 10th September 2011 04:57
Returner

I was unable to choose. I think the interesting thing about Final Fantasy is that there never really just one real villain. For example, in FFX, you knew the villain was Sin from the beginning, they said it. However, you learn later that you also have Seymour, the Yevonites, and Yu Yevon to contend with. Sephiroth was the primary antagonist of the story but we also know that he was very much a victim of his circumstances. Did Jenova choose Earth on her own to conquer, or did she land on the Earth quite by accident and simply take advantage of the situation? Was Hojo truly mad or did the Jenova cells around him constantly or did the betrayal of his wife Lucrecia cause him to go insane? Was insanity simply in the genes, since obviously Sephiroth is also nuts in the main storyline. There's too much to the story itself to really say He or She is the real villain because they are all villains and yet at the same time they're not.
Post #197276
Posted: 10th September 2011 13:48

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Dr. Delinquent @ 20th August 2011 03:08)

They weren't clones--Jenova cells regenerate, and Sephiroth had torn off her arm, head, and some other part of her and threw them at you. They regenerated and procceded to fight you with the greatest boss theme of all time.
Post #197284
Posted: 10th September 2011 17:51

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Chell172 @ 10th September 2011 05:48)
Quote (Dr. Delinquent @ 20th August 2011 03:08)

They weren't clones--Jenova cells regenerate, and Sephiroth had torn off her arm, head, and some other part of her and threw them at you. They regenerated and procceded to fight you with the greatest boss theme of all time.

The part where I said "Clones or no- It's still her." refers to the small faction of people that think the multiple Jenovas you fight throughout the game are the Sephiroth clones. I was just saying, that regardless of what people think the Jenovas came from, my point still stands.

This post has been edited by Dr. Delinquent on 10th September 2011 17:51

--------------------
----DQIII DQVIII
Post #197294
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: