CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
I've done it! I've done it!

Posted: 14th October 2011 13:30

Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Or at least, it's begun. I wanted to get a piece from my favorite final fantasy for years and could not figure out what to get. I knew it had to be related to Kain and Paladin Cecil, and then I ran across a photo that I've had on my external for a number of years.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/173..._vinny_vieh.jpg

I took this and met with my regular artist and told him we should play with it and make it better, so he came up with this. The finished product will be available for photograph in about one week.
user posted image

I always enjoy showing you guys my new tattoos. Haha.

Soooooooo?????

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #197810
Posted: 14th October 2011 19:18

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
The dark blue hair doesn't fit paladin!Cecil that well, but Kain looks boss.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #197814
Posted: 14th October 2011 21:23

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 14th October 2011 14:18)
The dark blue hair doesn't fit paladin!Cecil that well, but Kain looks boss.

It's true to the source, though, so whatcha gonna do?

Something about Cecil looks more feminine than in the source. I think the nose is the culprit. Other than that, looks pretty good so far, but on something like this you'll definitely need to see the finished product to be sure, heh.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #197815
Posted: 15th October 2011 00:17

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Pretty hardcore, man! That's a good tattoo artist.

This post has been edited by finalalias on 15th October 2011 00:17
Post #197816
Posted: 15th October 2011 06:17

Lunarian

Awards:
While I just used the source as a draft I still found that cecil's platinum hair cannot be easily reproduced and may fade quickly. There was no shading done this sitting, only outline. So insure you can see how difficult that would have been. I chose to to stick with blue partially because I'm building a half sleeve on my arm that will end in blue and connect with Cecil.

I also see the added feminine look R51. I'm not sure if it will remain, but if Mike does keep him that way it won't disappoint me, as his Paladin form is fairly less masculine.

I'm really excited to see the finished product of Kain though!!

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #197820
Posted: 15th October 2011 10:37

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
This is looking amazing! Love the blue. Can't wait to see it completely done. Especially with the sleeve!

You're a brave person to get a tattoo on your back, haha. Pain!

I think if the eyebrow were more gruff, it'd help with the femininity. His eyebrow looks very well scuplted haha.

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #197821
Posted: 15th October 2011 16:46

Lunarian

Awards:
Thanks for the input! I will discuss with my artist the idea of altering Cecil's brow.

Also, am curious what you guys think about the shading of Cecil's eyes. I'm thinking of having color them solid white. And with Kain do you think I should go with the purple shading, or add some green hue in there?

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/image...lean_FMV_DS.jpg

Or
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/098...nzo-d3dhh7f.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KAIN-Final-Fantasy-...1ylRtQ~~_35.JPG

--------------------
Post #197822
Posted: 15th October 2011 19:04

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I think Kain has the green tint to his hair. If you see the image of his battle sprite from FFIV After years....

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/index.php?ti...KainBattle2-PNG

Edit: Or Dissida 012.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011...n_No_Helmet.png

This post has been edited by Fadien on 15th October 2011 19:05

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #197823
Posted: 16th October 2011 13:07

Lunarian

Awards:
He always looked like a blond to me. The photo from Dissidia looks blond and so are all the others that I've seen of him with his mask off...

--------------------
Post #197826
Posted: 17th October 2011 03:57

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Sephiroth @ 15th October 2011 01:17)
While I just used the source as a draft I still found that cecil's platinum hair cannot be easily reproduced and may fade quickly. There was no shading done this sitting, only outline. So insure you can see how difficult that would have been. I chose to to stick with blue partially because I'm building a half sleeve on my arm that will end in blue and connect with Cecil.

Ahh, I see. Fair enough. It is a bit odd since Paladin Cecil's color scheme is basically white and Kain's color scheme is basically light blue, so seeing Cecil as dark blue and Kain as plain/white with red tint is a bit odd.

Yes, Kain does look like he has blond hair, from those pictures. However, the a slight tint of green along with light blue might work for your tattoo if you want color. Though those are rather non-badass colors...

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #197829
Posted: 26th October 2011 03:46

Lunarian

Awards:
Still not finished, but we did this tonight. Mike took into account the comments on here about the blue hair and is adding some platinum to balance it a little.

user posted image

--------------------
Post #197926
Posted: 26th October 2011 13:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, it does look about twenty times better now that it has some of the color done, and the hair is much improved as well.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #197928
Posted: 26th October 2011 16:13

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Holy crap that looks badass. As R51 puts it, yes, it does look much better with the color.

Also, for some reason Paladin!Cecil looks more manly now.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 26th October 2011 16:13

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #197933
Posted: 11th November 2011 03:08

Lunarian

Awards:
So I finally got it finished today.

user posted image

The ink looks a little darker in this photo and that may have to do with the amount of blood that involved in this sitting. I will post a follow up when it heals. Thanks for the feed back guys. Hope you all like the final product.

--------------------
Post #198068
Posted: 18th June 2012 08:22

Lunarian

Awards:
Well this is long overdue! I have a picture of the healed final product and I must say that I'm really happy with it. Anyone care to take a stab at what I ended up paying for this whole thing? haha

user posted image

--------------------
Post #200463
Posted: 18th June 2012 23:49

Dragoon

Awards:
Looks impressive. And my guess is around $300, but im probably overestimating big time.
Post #200468
Posted: 19th June 2012 10:56

Lunarian

Awards:
Actually, you're pretty close. I paid $250 for it.

I mean no offense when I say that judging by your estimate, I'm guessing you probably don't have any tattoos, as this piece would have easily been more than $1,200 had I not been close friends with the artist. He charges $150 per hour (that's looking at the piece before it's started and guessing how long it will take) and if I remember right, it took just over 10 and 1/2 hours.

I live in a fairly small city and the majority of artists here charge around $100 per hour. I had another artist in the same shop guess that I had paid $1,500, as he said that's what he would have charged.

--------------------
Post #200477
Posted: 19th June 2012 21:11

Dragoon

Awards:
I don't have any tattoos, but some of those numbers are pretty high though.
Post #200481
Posted: 20th June 2012 07:26

Lunarian

Awards:
Quote (GamblingCat @ 19th June 2012 16:11)
I don't have any tattoos, but some of those numbers are pretty high though.

I don't know, man. Considering the going rate for good art in the city.. Well.. I've price checked in larger cities before (I live in Texas and have checked in Austin and Dallas) I met the guy who does my work now and many of the better artists there charge even more. My current artist has worked in multiple shops in LA, Miama, and the Dallas area and he told me he had to lower his prices when he came here in order to get business, since the price of living is quite lower here. The numbers I mentioned are actually quite low..

Honestly, if someone had quoted me $300 for this piece in another shop where I didn't know anyone, I would have turned around and walked out, as the natural reaction there is that their art wouldn't be worth permanently having.

This discussion for example, highlights some of the prices in larger cities.. And like I said, this piece in the photos took three sitings and a total of just under 11 hours. (Also, the question is two years old and prices have increased a bit since then.)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...20202931AA8MW0l

This post has been edited by Sephiroth on 20th June 2012 07:44

--------------------
Post #200489
Posted: 29th June 2012 08:42

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
nice man. if there would be anything that'd make me break me wanting to never get a tattoo it'd be Final Fantasy. although if i had gotten this it'd of looked for the dark knight version of Cecil to put on the right and tried to get a sinister image of golbez above/behind the 2.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #200538
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: