CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Favorite song

Posted: 2nd May 2010 11:25

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
What is your favorite chrono trigger theme folks?

Here are some of mine:

Wind song:this one plays in the past

Corridors of light:I always really liked this song
It is the song you can hear in present when you walk up to the goblins in their town and this song plays

Corridors of time:I used to spend hours just walking around in 12.000 bc just to listen to this song because it was so good.This song plays ontop of the floating land mass.

Ayla's theme is also pretty good.
There is something courageous in the song.

Determination:Very good theme as well

tyrano's lair theme:It is just so bad ass:
It is like golbez clad in dark,with that underlying evil and then it goes into almost a rock song that with a killer beat saying:I'm mad and i'm going to kick your butt.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185348
Posted: 2nd May 2010 16:47

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I need to resist the urge to Rick Roll here...

Honestly though! That's Robo's song? I was so surprised to hear it, that it's probably the most memorable song to me.

I also have to say... the main theme is really amazing. I hadn't played the game until recently, but hearing it made me feel nostalgic!

But by far, my favorite music is Manoria Cathedral. It's really dramatic, and it reminds me of church music for some reason.

--------------------
Post #185362
Posted: 2nd May 2010 16:55

Cactuar

Awards:
Either Time of World Revolution or Yearning's of the Wind. Maybe Schala's theme.

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #185363
Posted: 2nd May 2010 20:32

Engineer

Awards:
Corridors of Time, easy. My favourite part of the game is Zeal to the Ocean Palace (love the interplay between Queen Zeal and Lavos) and I don't think that Mitsuda could have come up with a better piece of music for the continent.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #185369
Posted: 5th May 2010 08:23

Cactuar

Awards:

So many ! The song that plays when Chrono is in court Luca's theme song the second boss theme tune and the Tyrano's lair theme. CT music is so good.

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #185405
Posted: 6th May 2010 20:26

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
How do I picked favorites?

* Chrono Trigger (main theme, combined version): Epic satisfaction. If only they'd looped the combined version...
* Peaceful Days (1000 A.D. town theme): One of my favorite town themes of all time.
* Frog's Theme: It stands for everything that Frog is: a tragic past, personal doubts, but the confidence to fight them and the courage to rise to the challenge.
* Fanfare 1 (Lucca's theme): Also has a very beautiful remix "Spring's Gift" in CC.
* Lavos's Theme: still, to this day, one of the most abjectly terrifying and imposing themes.
* Robo's Theme: such optimism, especially in such dark times.
* The Brink of Time: Beautiful.
* Spekkio's Theme: So relaxing and cheerful. Even when he offers you magical beatdowns.
* Boss Battle 2: Very epic boss battle music. Love this.
* Tyran Castle (Tyrano Lair): Has the feeling of both sinister evil and fair rivalry.
* At the Bottom of Night: a very beautiful contemplative theme.
* Corridors of Time: I thought this was rather meh until I listened to the Resurrection remix and the OC remix "Zeal Love". And I just have to make special mention of this "combo video".
* Zeal Palace: While not one of my favorite tracks technically, it IS very useful for atmospheric effect.
* Sealed Door: One of the most apt depictions of utter hopelessness in music.
* Undersea Palace: Epic ominousness, perhaps?
* Epoch ~ Wings that Cross Time: "Let's get going. Time won't wait for us. But we can still smile while saving the world."
* Black Dream (Black Omen): Cold, magical-mechanical evil. As a dance track. Perhaps Castlevania SotN's "Rainbow Cemetery" has a precursor in the "techno horror" genre (see highest rated comment in that link).
* Epilogue ~To Good Friends~: Beautiful solo then orchestral remix of Marle's theme. The other version is nice, but this one touches my heart.
* To Far Away Times: One great credits theme, with extra points for working in the game's main theme.
* special mention: Boss Battle 2. Not used in the game or even found in it, but a nice battle theme nevertheless.

Come to think of it, if only Schala had a more poignant character theme, I might actually have found her character more interesting. I'm kinda easily affected by the soundtrack haha. It's one of my least favorite tracks on the soundtrack, which kinda sucks.

(And apologies to anyone expecting Singing Mountain--it's quite nice, but the loop is kinda short and the instrumentation a bit busy for it to register on my best tracks ever list.)

Hasn't this topic been done before? It probably has. Oh well.

And can someone remind me, where does Boss Battle 2 (the legendary enemies theme) play? I know it's used for Azala and the Black Tyrano, the Rust Tyrano, Zeal without Magus, and Ozzie/Flea/Slash combo attack, but for some reason I can't remember others. It's been so many years...

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #185432
Posted: 6th May 2010 21:56

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
[QUOTE=Glenn Magus Harvey,6th May 2010 20:26] How do I picked favorites?

That tyranos lair piece is a work of art.

It has that evil touch plus that music that is saying:I am mad and now you are going to pay for hurting my people.

sealed door definitely captures the effect of ff6.

Remember dark world? same thing but different instrument.

Both are very melodious

peacefull times is nice and my ears never bleed after hearing chrono trigger,on the contrary i enjoy it very much.

I do admit that i cried hearing to good friends.

That song just makes me sad.

The song was bitter sweet and it has that effect that you know it is the end of the game but the ending is a joyous one.

i love corridor of wind.
The one of 12.000 bc.

What a great theme.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 6th May 2010 22:00

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #185445
Posted: 6th May 2010 22:04

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I always liked A Shot of Crisis. It played when you were escaping prison and the song really sets the tone for urgency and fighting the dragon tank. Some people may disagree, but I was in love with that song the first time I heard it.
Post #185449
Posted: 22nd July 2010 23:56

Dragoon

Awards:
the music that plays when in Ocean Palace and the final boss theme.
Post #186878
Posted: 23rd July 2010 01:45

Onion Knight

Awards:
I absolutely love the song that plays in 600 AD and Frog's theme happy.gif . 600 AD's

theme was so peaceful and calming. It made me feel like I was in the medieval

era. Meanwhile Frog's theme was just epic. It gives me the feeling of a hero

against all odds fighting for what he believes is right.

--------------------
Stay Free
Post #186899
Posted: 23rd July 2010 18:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
My favorites are Wind Scene and Frog's Theme.

Wind Scene because it is pretty and relaxing.

Frog's Theme because it makes me feel honourable.

--------------------
"My name is Atma...I am a power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form...Feeble creatures of flesh...Your time is nigh!"
Post #186930
Posted: 23rd July 2010 18:50

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (THE_MAN @ 23rd July 2010 14:16)
My favorites are Wind Scene and Frog's Theme.

Wind Scene because it is pretty and relaxing.

Frog's Theme because it makes me feel honourable.

Frog's music does suit him. I have to say, he's probably my favorite character in the game too. And his theme is the only one that really stands out.

--------------------
Post #186931
Posted: 23rd July 2010 20:51

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Wind Scene (600 AD Overworld) is the one that sticks out the most to me, and probably the only one I can hum at any given moment.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #186942
Posted: 10th October 2010 12:31

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The singing mountain theme.
Makes me wish they used the dungeon in the final version of the game. cry.gif

--------------------
The meaning of life is life itself.

We were put on this earth to follow our dreams unabated.
Post #188347
Posted: 16th October 2010 01:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Wanted to make a few comments.

* Frog's theme really does suit him very well. I feel the need to state this again. I sometimes use it to inspire myself, too.
* Singing Mountain is definitely a very pretty theme, but it has a relatively short loop, and the texture doesn't really change at all during the loop.
* Tyrano Lair / Tyran Castle: I agree with Magitek_slayer's assessment of what it sounds like.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #188471
Posted: 16th October 2010 01:57

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 6th May 2010 17:56)
sealed door definitely captures the effect of ff6.

That's an interesting thing to think about, since both games were being developed at the same time. That probably is because Uematsu did Sealed Door. It was one of the few he composed for the game.

--------------------
Post #188474
Posted: 16th October 2010 03:52

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Incidentally, here's a list of the tracks that Uematsu worked on, according to Chrono Compendium:

17. Silent Light
18. Boss Battle 1
25. Mystery of the Past
27. People Who Threw Away the Will to Live
31. Bike Chase
39. Underground Sewer
41. Primitive Mountain
44. Burn! Bobonga!
49. Tyran Castle
54. Sealed Door

I've already mentioned that the last two are among my favorites. Boss Battle 1 is also a solid track, though the loop is a bit short (at only about half a minute). Silent Light is also nice, as is Underground Sewer (which as you may know also plays in the Denadoro Mountains).

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #188476
Posted: 16th October 2010 06:20

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 15th October 2010 23:52)
Boss Battle 1 is also a solid track, though the loop is a bit short (at only about half a minute).

That's how most battle themes are anyways.

--------------------
Post #188478
Posted: 16th October 2010 16:28

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
But it's a boss battle theme, and boss fights are usually longer. In comparison, FFIV, FFV, and FFVI have main boss themes that have loops around one minute long.

Though I must say that, despite that limitation, it does work and work well.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 16th October 2010 16:34

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #188482
Posted: 16th October 2010 16:53

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 16th October 2010 12:28)
But it's a boss battle theme, and boss fights are usually longer.  In comparison, FFIV, FFV, and FFVI have main boss themes that have loops around one minute long.

Though I must say that, despite that limitation, it does work and work well.

Yeah, true, I've always thought FF was superior anyways, lol.

Just saying, CT has nothing like Dancing Mad.

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 16th October 2010 16:53

--------------------
Post #188483
Posted: 16th October 2010 19:48

Engineer

Awards:
CT has nothing like Dancing Mad, for sure, but that's because, no matter what a good composer Mitsuda is, he's no Uematsu. To his credit, songs like Wind Scene, Fog's Theme, Lavos' Theme, Corridors of Time, Undersea Palace, and his work on Chrono Cross is pretty damn amazing, and I'd put him as tied with Yoko Shimomura as 2nd place in VG compositions behind the legendary Nobuo. As for me, it's not exactly music from Trigger but I've been getting really into the theme from Radical Dreamers, "Days of Summer".

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #188490
Posted: 17th October 2010 01:24

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (trismegistus @ 16th October 2010 15:48)
CT has nothing like Dancing Mad, for sure, but that's because, no matter what a good composer Mitsuda is, he's no Uematsu. To his credit, songs like Wind Scene, Fog's Theme, Lavos' Theme, Corridors of Time, Undersea Palace, and his work on Chrono Cross is pretty damn amazing, and I'd put him as tied with Yoko Shimomura as 2nd place in VG compositions behind the legendary Nobuo. As for me, it's not exactly music from Trigger but I've been getting really into the theme from Radical Dreamers, "Days of Summer".

Oh, I think it's a tremendous soundtrack. I just meant in terms of depth. But, I guess there isn't anyone like Uematsu.

--------------------
Post #188495
Posted: 22nd December 2010 15:45

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
... Tough question.

Corridors of Time and the forest theme (can't remember the name) are very beautiful and soothing, but Schala's theme has a mysterious aura about it that just sucks you in. And then there's World Revolution, which just pumps you up, and Frog's theme, which is very heroic. I really can't choose... The entire soundtrack is fantastic, but those are my favorites.

I also love two unused songs - Battle 2 and Singing Mountain.
Post #191408
Posted: 22nd December 2010 16:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 22nd December 2010 10:45)

For what it's worth, Singing Mountain did get used in the Nintendo DS version of the game. smile.gif

For the actual topic, I wish I could answer. The game clearly has a fantastic soundtrack, but I just haven't ever come up with a favorite. Just a combination of not having played the game enough and also considering the soundtrack as a whole and not parts, I guess.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #191411
Posted: 22nd December 2010 16:13

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 22nd December 2010 17:09)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 22nd December 2010 10:45)

For what it's worth, Singing Mountain did get used in the Nintendo DS version of the game. smile.gif

Oh right, in the new sidequest involving black holes and clones of Crono, Marle and Lucca.
Post #191414
Posted: 22nd December 2010 16:49

Black Waltz

Awards:
Memories of Green. It sounds sad but hopeful, and I really love that.

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #191415
Posted: 22nd December 2010 17:07

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
It's got to be either Frog's Theme, Magus' Battle Theme or Tyran Castle for me. All are uniquely brilliant.

I'd say the best is Tyran Castle. It has this amazing bit that comes in after about 1:40 that made me want to spend ages wandering around the castle just to hear it. I was really lost and this music made me keep going.

Frog's Theme is class. It's similar to Cyan's Theme but I would rate it higher. It has a bit more energy and for whatever reason I still listen to it as a sort of novelty, despite the fact I must've heard it about twice as much as Cyan's.

Last one, Magus' Battle Theme is out of this world. It's great to listen to. I love how it has uplifting pacey tunes next to daunting, slow music. It works together brilliantly. However it's not the best battle theme I've heard, but it is in the top 5.

In the end I'll go with Frog's Theme as my favourite. Like I said I think Tyran's Castle is the best of the whole soundtrack.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #191416
Posted: 22nd December 2010 22:02

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Re what I was saying earlier about Sealed Door, and noting that Uematsu composed it:

Compare it to "Another World of Beasts" from FFVI.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #191433
Posted: 22nd December 2010 22:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 22nd December 2010 23:02)
Re what I was saying earlier about Sealed Door, and noting that Uematsu composed it:

Compare it to "Another World of Beasts" from FFVI.

Mhm, they both have the same aura about them.
Post #191435
Posted: 9th March 2011 13:02

Returner

Awards:
The Last Day of the World
You hear it when you die...
I always liked sad songs eh.gif

--------------------
While theres a tomorrow, my laziness is immortal
Post #193374
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: