CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Wanted: Square-related Editorials and Game Reviews

Posted: 16th February 2003 22:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Seems pretty simple, really. I'm looking for editorials that deal with Square issues, and reviews of any of the three games we currently cover.

All I ask is that any article you submit be at least 1000 words, and be intelligently written, so that people who take the time to read your work don't feel as if CoN wasted their time. Feel free to include screenshots or images as you see fit.

For game reviews, also please rate the game on a scale of one to five (five being highest) in the following categories: Game Mechanics, Graphics, Music, Plot, and Replay. Use only whole numbers. I would also like a overall score, from 1 to 10 (10 being highest), and you can use .5s. This score is totally separate from the first five.

As always, CoNStaff will be the final decisionmakers on what editorials and reviews are published.

I look forward to hearing from some of you many talented writers out there.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #8684
Posted: 17th February 2003 01:12
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
We submittin 'em here or just as seperate posts?

--------------------
Post #8695
Posted: 17th February 2003 01:35

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Separate posts or as messages to the staff. Your call.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #8699
Posted: 11th March 2003 18:01

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Bump.

I've heard that some people are working on these, but I only have one right now. Please post in here if you intend to do one in the near future, and tell me when you'll have it done, or at least an estimate.

--------------------

Post #9512
Posted: 14th March 2003 01:19
Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'd be interested, especially as a repayment for all the favours you guys have done us. All I need is a good topic to write about, any ideas?
Post #9591
Posted: 15th March 2003 01:02

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Corda, for an editorial, perhaps a discourse on why FFX-2 exists or why it should not; perhaps a commentary on the development for the GameCube, or maybe even thoughts on the Square-Enix merger. And if none of those do it for you, maybe it will trigger something else in your mind.

--------------------

Post #9606
Posted: 14th April 2003 10:15

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I can get you one, Josh. Just depends how you want it.

EDIT: BTW, post it here, IM it to you, or what?

--------------------
Nine-hundred ninety-nine billion nine-hundered ninety-nine million nine-hundred ninety-nine thousand nine-hundred ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall...
Post #11029
Posted: 14th April 2003 11:55

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (bond4154 @ 14 Apr 2003, 05:15)
I can get you one, Josh. Just depends how you want it.

EDIT: BTW, post it here, IM it to you, or what?

Post it in a new thread, or email it to myself and Elena99.

--------------------

Post #11032
Posted: 14th April 2003 17:55
Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Hey -

I'd certainly be interested in submitting a review of the old-school games (they ARE my specialty after all ...wink).  As long as there's no time frame involved, I'll certainly submit reviews for you.
How detailed do you want?  Spoilers or not?  Comparisons to present-day FF?  Or are you just looking for one psycho-girl's opinion?   ^_^

--------------------
//seventhe will be out of commission until 19 may.  she'll be in cancun, so feel free to be jealous.

home of the most random portfolio ever.  artwork, fiction, literature, fanwork, and more sarcasm than you can shake a stick at.
Post #11052
Posted: 14th April 2003 20:14

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
1- About medium detailed. Check out the ones that are in the review section already, it varies. Whatever you're comfortable with, but when in doubt, add detail rather then leave it bare.

2- We'd rather there be no spoilers, or if you're writing something about a certain plot point, state at the top of the review/editorial that it contains spoilers and those who haven't played FF4/5/6, whatever, should proceed with caution.

3- You can compare if you like, but a creative mind doesn't need to compare ^-^

4- lol, sure, as long as you have proper spelling and grammar.

Oh, and no time frame. Check posts above for how to submit.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #11055
Posted: 20th May 2004 21:52

Dragoon

Awards:
Should I have put my FF7 review in this forum or Your Creations (where it is know). I wanted to make another reveiw, but I didn't know where to put it.
Post #43687
Posted: 28th July 2004 11:52

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Sorry I never answered this before. As of right now, we're not putting reviews up for games we don't cover. I thought that would have been obvious, but I can see where the confusion would come from, so I'm sorry about that.

EDITORIALS can be on any Square-related subject.

REVIEWS should be only on games we cover.

Is anyone going to ever write one?

--------------------

Post #53739
Posted: 28th July 2004 16:12

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Edit
Oh, wait. Not in this topic. Isn't that funny?

You sound so sad....

Final Fantasy VI review.

“FF VI might be the buggiest game ever…”

“FF VI is absolutely loaded with info that was never actually used”

“What is the two move trick that beats 97 % of the game’s baddies?”

For those of you who have no experience with the game Final Fantasy VI, these quotes may very well provide enough information to leave the game in their closet and never touch it. And yes, it is true: FF VI is one of the most messy games known to man, filled with severe bugs in the gameplay, spelling errors and a inconsistent storyline.

Then why has it grown into one of the most popular SNES games ever? Why are fans still creating websites, writing fanfiction, drawing images of its characters and spending hours and hours only to discover the most insignificant details of its gameplay?

Graphics: 5
The graphics, for a game released in 1994, are simply stunning. Mode 7, a way to make images seem coming towards you and going backwards again, was not used for the first time in Final Fantasy VI; however, many feel that on the SNES, it was used to full capacity. Final Fantasy VI leans more towards a ‘realistic’ layout of the graphics, as opposed to Final Fantasy V where the character and monsters looked more ‘cartoonish’. Yoshitaka Amano, who created the concept sketches for all characters and produced several other concept images for the game bested himself. Or has this something to do with the fact that Amano recently admitted that Mog, one of FF VI its characters, is still his all-time favorite character to draw?

Music: 4
The music, as composed and arranged by Nobuo Uematsu, is still regarded as some of Uematsu’s best work, some of the best music ever to have come from the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and even as some of the best game music ever to have been composed. Most name the highlight of the famous Opera scene, Aria Di Mezzo Carattere as an extremely moving piece of music. Others hail the game’s climax music, Dancing Mad (over fourteen minutes of music!) as one of the most impressive pieces ever written. Regardless, the Original Sound Version which held all of the music from the game on three discs sold so well that there were two more discs created, one with several songs played in concert and one with the piano only.

Game Mechanics: 3
The battle system appears easy. Each character has its own skills. Later, the possibility to learn Magic opens, and special items called Relics can give the wearer other special abilities, skills or stat boosts. Also, equipment and weapons are bought and/or found troughout the game. By cleverly combining some of these items, armor and skills the possibilities can seem endless. It is mainly because of this that so many bugs pop up. The more possibilities you make, the more chance you have to forget to take in account that this or that doesn’t quite work together.

Plot: 4
The game starts of with three characters, but it's not until two get killed and one wakes up after this event that the story kicks off. Confused, scared and alone, 18-year old Terra Branford stumbles trough a world which is torn between the Empire, an aggressive force quickly rising in power and quantity, and the Returners, a small resistance movement dedicated to stop the Empire in its power-hungry tracks. Along the way, Terra meets other people who, for various reasons, agree to help her find her path and eventually aid her to achieve the goals she has chosen.
A total of fourteen permanent characters and six non-permanent characters will follow the player trough the story of Final Fantasy VI, and not always is Terra present; several personal cutscenes and scenarios can be played and after the dramatic climax of the first half, it is another character, Celes Chere, who decided that she will have to continue.
The characters are arguably cliché when you know other games created by Square, but at the time they were extremely memorable and they have been often mentioned as the main reason why Final Fantasy VI is so popular. If they are care-free gamblers who live their life guided by Lady Luck, thieves with a tragic past, mysterious assassins or raving lunatics bound on destruction, it doesn’t matter; Square succeeded in leaving a deep impression on whoever has played the game. And each character is accompanied by his/her own theme song, creating the feeling that with those notes, we just took a peek into their very souls.

Replay: 3
As said before, Final Fantasy VI has a major amount of possibilities when it comes to battles, and it is mostly this that grants it its replay value. While a large amount of the second part of the game is optional and can be played trough in any order you choose, the results will hardly ever dramatically change. But even then, with Final Fantasy VI being a complex game that will take a normal player about 24 hours to complete, people will find that the first time they played the game didn’t exactly give them every treasure, every cutscene or even every character they could have gotten, often pushing them to play trough the game again and find the more elusive gems of this game.

There is but one great point of anger that the majority of the crowd has with this game. And, while unjustified for the most part, this point of anger is called Ted Woolsey. Final Fantasy VI was to be released in the United States, but Square felt that the US crowd would take offence to some of the parts of the story or other elements in the game, and the three men in charge of its changes, Ted Woolsey as translator and Weimin Li and Aiko Ito as remake planners, were told to censor the game for the US crowd. Words such as ‘Death’ and ‘Blood’, religious references and several images were changed, while Ted Woolsey did a very ‘liberal’ translation of the original, leaving several spelling errors and otherwise falsely translated lines. Some of the more progressive and possible offensive scenes in the game, including suicide and pre-marital teen pregnancy were censored to respectively fit a ‘leap of joy’ and a very young, but very married couple.

Overall score: 9
With newer games having 3D graphics (and good ones to boot), music that comes out sounding better due to improved quality and 100 % reply value as they are programmed to react differently every time you do something, a game like Final Fantasy VI must have a lot to offer to still keep people’s attention. And if the world-wide popularity of the game isn’t enough proof, then let me say that yes: this game has enough going for it to turn off your Xbox and play trough this game at least once. You’ll never forget the characters, you’ll be humming a tune from the game on the ride home and you won’t regret the time you have spent.

Djibriel

This post has been edited by Djibriel on 28th July 2004 23:09

--------------------
Post #53760
Posted: 30th June 2005 12:02

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Well, I wrote an FFT review at another site, and you guys could use it if you wanted to. The scoring system is base ten, and there's an extra category (Sidequests), but I could edit out the parts that don't apply. I don't have copy and paste, but it's here if you want it:

FFT Review

[EDIT] - If someone copies it here, I'll gladly switch the stuff around.

[EDIT2] - Oh, this thread's a year old. blush.gif

This post has been edited by Shotgunnova on 30th June 2005 12:06

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #87885
Posted: 30th June 2005 12:33

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Don't worry, SGN, it's still stickied because we still want them.

Unfortunately, our manpower to add things like reviews, or even fanart and fanfiction, is a bit low at the moment. We're reassessing the system to account for this, and I will try to update everyone on the status soon.

--------------------

Post #87887
Posted: 30th June 2005 16:41

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
It's not doing me a disservice if it can't be added immediately. No pressure here.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #87897
Posted: 12th June 2006 16:41

Black Mage

Awards:
What forum do you post the reviews in?
Post #119870
Posted: 12th June 2006 16:46

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
This one, which is why this thread is posted here.

--------------------

Post #119872
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: